Home

PES 2014 Availabe Now - Post your impressions here

This is a discussion on PES 2014 Availabe Now - Post your impressions here within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: PES 2014 Availabe Now in EU - Post your impressions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
It's all about ability Yeats. You will feel a difference with players. It's honestly just superb, this is the PES that gets it, finally. Every little movement can make all the difference. The ball is a separate entity from the player's and you must think before making a play for it like in real life.

I think what people think as "sluggish" is that weight. We are so used to the arcade like reactions that the minute you move your joystick, it should result in an immediate quick movement of a player. This is the most natural a game has ever felt for me. I can't play PES13 or FIFA 13 right now. I'm absolutely hooked.
The Man comes through with the answer I was hoping for. So the sluggishness is all about enhanced player individuality and simulation realism on a level we've never seen before in any sports video game, ever! Sounds pretty good to me...
Old 09-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #34
Pro

gabri3l3's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
It's all about ability Yeats. You will feel a difference with players. It's honestly just superb, this is the PES that gets it, finally. Every little movement can make all the difference. The ball is a separate entity from the player's and you must think before making a play for it like in real life.

I think what people think as "sluggish" is that weight. We are so used to the arcade like reactions that the minute you move your joystick, it should result in an immediate quick movement of a player. This is the most natural a game has ever felt for me. I can't play PES13 or FIFA 13 right now. I'm absolutely hooked.
You nailed it perfectly, this has never been replicated in any other sports game!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 12

Just a heads up: complaints on Evo-Web this morning about the 1.01 patch having made the game much faster while removing player inertia (Konami's fix for the sluggishness "issue" I suppose). If true, people might want to consider getting the original, unpatched disk version.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #36
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Alot of the complaints and issues that are coming up right now are just from people that don't understand how to play the game or just simply want the game to play a different way. The sluggishness in player movement is due to Konami's momentum coding. You have to know what you want to do three steps ahead when you start your moves. People are use to button spamming stepovers and drags and it just doesn't work that way. Older PES and FIFA has ingrained in alot of people this twitchy acrady ball control reaction. Watch 90% of the youtube videos of people playing the games and you will see it. People don't want realism, they want Maradona weaving through 10 men scoring wonder goals 4 times a game. It didn’t work that way last year in PES and its punished even more harshly this year. People are also complaining about button delay, the delay in response in dribbling controls in most cases is due to people leaving auto feint on in the settings. The delay and floaty shots people are complaining about is mostly due to them not properly setting up their shots and getting their plant foot down and proper ball spacing. I've got auto feint off and set up all my shots with proper space and the only time I've hit floaty shots is either when I want to, when I really rush a shot or when I mistime my kick.

This is my single biggest problem with companies trying to produce a simulation sports game. Most people that are asking for a simulation game don’t really want a simulation game because its too hard. Its happened with NBA2k, Madden, MLB the Show and now PES. Each at some point have added a realism mechanic that ramped up problems for the user to deal with and a huge % of the fan base calling for realism flipped out. Its all over this forum, which is supposed to be some bastion of simulation gameplay. You put realistic frustrations in front of a reviewer that is really only concerned with getting his sports review done so they can move on to Final Fantasy 853 and its a recipe for disaster.

Now there are some issues with the game don't get me wrong. The constant framerate freeze (its so bad it can't be considered a framerate dip) when the ball is played out of bounds is terrible and seems trivial and not directly impacting gameplay but it pulls you right out of the game. We don't play PES for the highlight goals, they are nice and exciting when they happen but that is few and far between. We all play PES because its the best representation of the beautiful game on the pitch and for the flow and those moments where it can almost convince you its a real game and this framerate issue kills that completely.

CPU playing too high and too rigid of a back line and still some wonky AI from keepers. Not sure how Konami can claim that with a "completely new engine" the exact same problems happening in the exact same way is just a coincidence happened to make it back in this year.

Player likeness both stats and appearance needs work, but 99% of PES players don't start without a proper option file anyway so this really shouldn't impact the judgment of the game.

PES is not supposed to appeal to the masses. If you want a hard, frustrating demanding but very rewarding football game then thats what its there for. Its not there to have your buddies over for beers and kick the bag around. Its Demon's Souls for the football fan.

Last edited by Dogslax41; 09-20-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #37
MVP

ezio's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
I agree with you and felt that way from the beginning. I was concerned with early comments about players feeling like tanks but there is such a noticeable difference in the demo (haven't play the full game yet). Take Italy for example. A player like Giaccherini feels so different to control than someone like Balotelli as he should. Giaccherini is quicker and easier to move with than Balotelli. But get Balotelli on the ball and use his size and strength to your advantage and you will benefit. An as you said Momentum plays a big part as well.

Still waiting for the full game but I think this is the game we have been waiting for on this generation of console. Too bad it comes at the end of the cycle.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #38
Rookie

Winger's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

This man is correct. I much prefer the movement in PES 2014 as it varies from player to player, as well as factoring in the position of the ball, the pace a player is moving at, the direction the player is moving towards, etc. I much prefer this to the FIFA 14 demo where everything is so very, very quick, where every player can change direction in an instant, even while running at full pace, while keeping the ball under immaculate control. PES 2014, at least on the pitch, is fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
Just a heads up: complaints on Evo-Web this morning about the 1.01 patch having made the game much faster while removing player inertia (Konami's fix for the sluggishness "issue" I suppose). If true, people might want to consider getting the original, unpatched disk version.
Hmm. I think I'll give this patch a miss, for the time being.

The PC version is great, by the way. Really impressed with it.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #39
Rookie

Simaofan-20's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Well, to be fair, Luisão hasn't done a whole lot of playing the last year ever since he inexplicably attacked a referee and was handed a lengthy ban, so who knows - maybe he had time to grow some of that hair.
He didn't attack the referee, in fact the ref took a dive LOL. He played in 33 games last season so no lol He's also balding so therefore his hair would not be like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
And hes not as famous as you think he is, ive never heard of him. the player face guy from konami probably hasn't either hes watching the prem.
Just because you never heard of him , doesn't mean millions of others haven't either
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 0

I agree with Matt. I think the game plays just fine speed wise. There is some weight in the players, but maybe its because we got used to players stopping on a dime in previous games so at first it felt different.

Enjoying the game and really hope KONAMI doesn't mess up with future updates.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »