Home

The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

This is a discussion on The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #105
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
I'm not really sure what you're asking about "offensive sliders". Like the shooting sliders? The tendencies? In either case, the user shooting/tendency sliders affect the user team, and the CPU shooting/tendency sliders affect the CPU team.

The defensive sliders outlined in the OP affect the opposite team, so the User defensive sliders affect the CPU defense, and vice versa.
i was talking about the shooting sliders, but you’ve answered my question, thanks a lot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2020, 12:12 AM   #106
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvlus91
i was talking about the shooting sliders, but you’ve answered my question, thanks a lot.

Glad I could help
Old 02-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #107
MVP

Do the User tendency sliders affect what your teammates do? I always assumed it was the case, but was never 100% sure
Old 02-08-2020, 02:06 PM   #108
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
Do the User tendency sliders affect what your teammates do? I always assumed it was the case, but was never 100% sure

Yes, but just remember that the USER shooting-related tendencies have no affect (seeing as YOU choose which shots to take).
Old 03-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #109
MVP

Hello, I had raised a thread on 3 point attempts which are almost non existent for me . I play not and I also make it a bit harder every year by increasing even more CPU shots by 5.

However I play 4 min quarters and I have like 0-2 3pt attempts

A friend point it here that this is mostly relate to USER shot defense strength.

Currently the value is 55. I understand I should lower it. But to what number? 50? 45? .

For CPU is currently 40.
But for me to understand better,is this slider just going to negate the impact of the CPU contest or also to give me more open shots? I would prefer the second option

At the same time,I don't want to break the balance and make the game easier. Should I also drop the 3pt success to 40?

Edit: I dropped both user gather and release to superstar levels 52. It looks much better. CPU opponent would give SOME help/rotation.

its crazy that someone tries to make the difficulty higher,and the game itself decides that the best way to do it is by letting you dunk on a free laje after a pick,in order not to risk a 3point shot.

It is something that I would expect to see from an online cheesed (deny all) rather than a CPU program

Last edited by kabamaru; 03-16-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #110
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru
Hello, I had raised a thread on 3 point attempts which are almost non existent for me . I play not and I also make it a bit harder every year by increasing even more CPU shots by 5.

However I play 4 min quarters and I have like 0-2 3pt attempts

A friend point it here that this is mostly relate to USER shot defense strength.

Currently the value is 55. I understand I should lower it. But to what number? 50? 45? .

For CPU is currently 40.
But for me to understand better,is this slider just going to negate the impact of the CPU contest or also to give me more open shots? I would prefer the second option

At the same time,I don't want to break the balance and make the game easier. Should I also drop the 3pt success to 40?

Edit: I dropped both user gather and release to superstar levels 52. It looks much better. CPU opponent would give SOME help/rotation.

its crazy that someone tries to make the difficulty higher,and the game itself decides that the best way to do it is by letting you dunk on a free laje after a pick,in order not to risk a 3point shot.

It is something that I would expect to see from an online cheesed (deny all) rather than a CPU program

Decreasing the sliders will make the defense worse (more open shots) AND lower the impact of shot contests. On top of that, lowering the USER “Defense Strength” settings will make the CPU more willing to take shots with a defender nearby as those shots are now less affected by the defense and thus the AI reads more shot opportunities as open/lightly contested.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:08 AM   #111
Pro

How come the sliders are backwards?

On Superstar, I noticed CPU is at 48 and Human 52. Shouldn't it be opposite?

Is Help Defense Slider and Steal Attempts also backwards?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2020, 01:31 AM   #112
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
How come the sliders are backwards?

On Superstar, I noticed CPU is at 48 and Human 52. Shouldn't it be opposite?

Is Help Defense Slider and Steal Attempts also backwards?
Wow, sorry for the month-late response to this!

For your first question about CPU at 48 and USER at 52, those are correct from 2K. As I point out in the first section of the OP titled "WHO DO THE USER/CPU SLIDERS AFFECT?", I give a pretty good example that explains this:

"If you want the USER AI to play better defense, you need to increase the CPU Defense Strength sliders, and vice versa.". So as the difficulty settings increase, the value of the CPU defense strength sliders decrease while the USER settings increase. This means that the affect of your defense against the CPU decreases as you increase the difficulty, and the affect of the CPU defense against you increases with the difficulty.

To save confusion, 2K should just swap these settings so that the USER settings control the USER defense and the CPU settings control the CPU defense. Why don't they? Who knows, it's 2K

As far as Help Defense Strength and Steal Success, those two sliders are not "reversed". Increasing Steal Success for the USER means USER steals are easier. Increasing it for the CPU means the CPU will have more successful steal attempts as well. Help Defense Strength is the same way, increasing it for the USER means the USER's help defense is better positioned and has more favorable animations, having a higher affect on layups/shots.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »