Home

The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

This is a discussion on The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #25
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWood56
Good stuff man. Very informative.

With all this in mind, where do you think these sliders should be set? I know you have your own slider thread... not sure if these findings have changed anything for you.
I haven't settled in on anything concrete yet, which is why I haven't updated these settings in my slider thread. I'm actually testing things right now so that I can give an actual slider recommendation rather than just the guideline in the OP!

EDIT: Just found something interesting: People have been complaining for years that there are too few fouls on jumpshots. Well, I figured out how to get more of them. You need to have Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather) set low (the lower it's set, the more fouls you'll see), and Jump Shot Defense Strength (Release) set high (the higher it's set, the more fouls you'll see). However, the (Gather) slider is much more important than the (Release) slider when it comes to fouls, as I was seeing fouls with (Release) at 0 but not seeing much of any with (Gather) set at 100.

Now the reasoning for this is quite simple. With (Gather) set low, the shooter will not change his body position much to account for a defender in his face. With the shooter and defender having less distance between them, there is obviously a higher chance of contact on the shot and, therefore, a foul call. Also, with (Gather) set low the CPU will be less picky when taking shots and will take more shots in traffic. This, coupled with the lack of animations triggering to create space between the shooter and defender, will again lead to more foul calls. Setting (Release) higher adds to this in a simple way: with (Release) set higher the defenders are more aggressive on their shot-contests and more animations will get triggered at the release of the shot to "sell" a foul call. Now these animations don't actually add to the number of foul calls, but they make it LOOK like there was a foul and it adds more variety to jumpshots, so it's a win-win.

Now that I have a firm grasp on what exactly these sliders do, I should be able to come up with a good combination here shortly. Stay tuned.

Last edited by EccentricMeat; 02-03-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 1

Just checking in to see if you've settled on some concrete numbers? I'm really enjoying your current slider set and am excited about any findings you may have come across to make them even better. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #27
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

I've been testing during my free time the last few days. I have the rest of the day AND tomorrow off, so I should get something done soon! I'm just trying to make sure I only post something once I'm VERY confident in it. These sliders interact with other sliders so it's a little finicky. I've gone back and forth on settings so many times it's driving me crazy haha, but I'm getting pretty close!

EDIT: Just wanted to post a couple videos to show the results of my testing!

Here's a quick look at the CPU defense so far:

NBA 2K16 Contact Animations + CPU Defense by EccentricMeat

And here is an example of how my tweaks are affecting the CPU offense/shot selection:

NBA 2K16 CPU Ball Movement 2 by EccentricMeat

Check out my slider thread later for an update on what settings I'm using!

Last edited by EccentricMeat; 02-05-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #28
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Realizing that the gather sliders affect offensive strategy was gold.

Brilliant find

Old 02-07-2016, 01:09 AM   #29
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

I've updated the OP with the sliders I've settled on after all of my testing. These settings will give the best animations, variety, and offensive/defensive fluidity and reactions. Other sliders will need to be tweaked, and I go into detail on that as well. Give it a look and post any feedback!

Last edited by EccentricMeat; 02-07-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:43 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 4

Do you find with everything maxed out at 100 that players struggle to finish in the paint and jump shooters can't knock down shots with a defender in their face? That's what I fear.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #31
Banned

prestwood90's Arena

OVR: 0

Are these the same as on ps4 share?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #32
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWood56
Do you find with everything maxed out at 100 that players struggle to finish in the paint and jump shooters can't knock down shots with a defender in their face? That's what I fear.

I talked about that in the OP. Give my latest update a quick read! Essentially with these edits you will have to increase a few of the Shot Success sliders, namely Mid-Range, 3pt, and Contact Shot. What you raise these to will vary based on a number of factors (read my update for all the info), but I've found that only one or two ticks were necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestwood90
Are these the same as on ps4 share?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I have not updated my PS4 Share sliders with these settings because I'm still tweaking a few other sliders (mostly the CPU tendencies) as they are also affected by these changes. I will be posting a full update soon though, so the PS4 Share file will be updated then.

EDIT: I have updated the OP to add more information and clarification on these sliders, as well as how to tweak your own slider set to get the results you want.

Last edited by EccentricMeat; 02-07-2016 at 03:16 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »