Home

The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

This is a discussion on The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #9
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
I went in to do more testing and the only concrete thing I could come up with is that I'm no longer using the Shot Feedback to judge anything. No matter what I had the Gather/Release sliders at the Shot Feedback remained consistent. Shots with perfect timing were an A, very poor timing was an F, and everything else just mixed in between.

With Release at 0 I saw a lot of poorly contested shots, as in my defenders hands deliberately moved OUT of the path of the ball so the offense could get off a good shot. What I'm thinking is that they both impact jump shot success differently. With Gather set low the defenders don't get in the shooter's face enough to really affect a shot, and with Release set low the defenders are awful at actually getting a hand in front of the ball or at least in front of the shooter's line of sight to the basket.

I've gotta take a break from testing for right now, I'm getting frustrated and burned out haha. Time to load up Battlefield 4 Premium for the first time (it's on sale this week on PSN!) and get my mind off confusing defensive logic for a minute.
Yea idk man...shot stick timing is tough to judge because the release has SO much to do with the outcome of the shot to begin with! Regardless of the defense! Yo I used to be THE **** on BF4 on the PS4 lol good thing you waited to get that one, that was a mess at launch...
Old 05-21-2015, 03:02 AM   #10
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
Yea idk man...shot stick timing is tough to judge because the release has SO much to do with the outcome of the shot to begin with! Regardless of the defense! Yo I used to be THE **** on BF4 on the PS4 lol good thing you waited to get that one, that was a mess at launch...
Yeah, BF4 is awesome! Glad I got out some of my frustration there, and I got back to testing a few hours ago. I posted what I've found so far as the second edit of the OP, take a look.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #11
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Alright, so what I'm finding today is that the game plays MUCH better with Layup Defense Strength (Takeoff) at 100 for USER/CPU. The awareness/aggression to help down low and the animations that are triggered on these close shots/layups are awesome. The Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather) slider is still a little tricky to nail down, as I don't want a ton of open shooters on every play. I'll post back once I find the best setting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #12
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

Finished with my sliders, and after many hours I can confirm 100% that my original assessment was accurate. In terms of Real shooting % the only thing that effected the actual success of the shot was the Gather slider while the Release slider greatly effects the type of contests and the actual effort to get there:

Quote:
Anyways guys just an update on what I referenced earlier with the jumpshot defense sliders...I can officially confirm 100% that the shot "defense" slider effects the respective team on OFFENSE (so it's reversed) so 0/100 would result in the CPU having terrible defense, and the HUM having basically no shot defense, while 100/0 would result in an easier time for the CPU! So before I update the sliders I want to do some testing to see how I can incorporate this new information into my set, stay tuned!

EDIT:Even MORE new information, the Jump Shot Defense Strength (release) slider effects how hard the CPU will contest your jumpshot...(So basically just the animations) while the Jump Shot Defense strength (Gather) slider represents how much the contest that has taken place will actually IMPACT whether or not the shot goes in!

So basically what this means is we can now set our shooting sliders LOWER to result in more misses in Wide open situations, but we can also lower the contest sliders so that a wide open shot doesn't ALWAYS result in a make, and a contested shot doesn't ALWAYS result in a miss! I'm excited for this.
I ended up running with:

Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather) -10/5
Jump Shot Defense (Release) - 70/70

So now with a high release defense slider guys make every effort to contest shots, but with a low gather slider for guys with the Deadeye badge the defense will have virtually have no effect on them at all. Thanks for your help on the issue!

Last edited by Shady Mike; 05-24-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:56 PM   #13
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Finished with my sliders, and after many hours I can confirm 100% that my original assessment was accurate. In terms of Real shooting % the only thing that effected the actual success of the shot was the Gather slider while the Release slider greatly effects the type of contests and the actual effort to get there:

I ended up running with:

Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather) -10/5
Jump Shot Defense (Release) - 70/70

So now with a high release defense slider guys make every effort to contest shots, but with a low gather slider for guys with the Deadeye badge the defense will have virtually have no effect on them at all. Thanks for your help on the issue!

So basically you're saying that 2K reversed what those two sliders have done in every other game in the series? Classic 2K smh

I still haven't been able to find conclusive enough results to fully agree 100% with your findings, but the more I play (and the more frustrated I get), the more I tend to agree.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #14
MVP

MoneyOvaHuds's Arena

So which take off gather combo do you suggest ?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #15
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

I'm still testing, but I've stuck with 100/100 for the most part. I'll post here if I find anything better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #16
MVP

MoneyOvaHuds's Arena

The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

I tried the combo in shadys thread and combined it with Armor and swords sliders snd I pretty much love it

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »