Home

The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

This is a discussion on The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #89
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabri3l3
Do you think tweaking these sliders (especially layup release) could result in more fouls as there will be more context based contact animations? Im dying to find a way to have more Fts in games beside raising the shooting foul slider that barely works
Yes, these defense sliders do affect the likelehood contact animations will trigger, but one thing I would suggest you also consider trying is a quick tendency edit:

Mass edit the players on your team and your opponent team to have a shot contest tendency of 50. The contest, block shot, foul etc tendencies all work together. When contest is too high, it offsets the foul tendency.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #90
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Mass edit the players on your team and your opponent team to have a shot contest tendency of 50. The contest, block shot, foul etc tendencies all work together. When contest is too high, it offsets the foul tendency.
I don't mean to question you, but I'm just curious as to how sure you are about this. Because if this is true, that's pretty significant.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #91
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
I don't mean to question you, but I'm just curious as to how sure you are about this. Because if this is true, that's pretty significant.
Last year, when I was having this issue with 2k19, I had no idea what needed to be done to definitively and consistently solve the problem.

In my roster edits, I already set a min draw foul rating of 70 for all players, and I had calculated the foul tendencies to coincide with 2k's numbers. In the past, I had never touched any of the other tendencies in that grouping, just the foul tendency. I knew all of the necessary sliders (inside and driving contact, layup release strength, help defense, fouls) were within ranges that should cause fouls, especially shooting fouls, to occur.

I had tried the contest shot slider at 100, and ended up seeing fewer shooting fouls, so I tried the slider at 50. This was slightly better, but gave me the idea to mass edit the contest shot tendencies. That change was more consistent.

Tendency edits are always more powerful than slider edits and every tendency is connected.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #92
Rookie

OVR: 3

EccentricMeat, your research is doing it! I have been enjoying the movement slider research. I had read your research a few times over the years about defense strength. I had all defense strength at 100 for AI and users: Started experimenting in 2K17; off and on in 2K18, mostly on. I thought I could simply transfer sliders to 2K19, but the AI engineers changed the mechanic, so I had Jumpshot strength at 50 and Layups at 100.

Read your update that sliders now create more/better interactive player animations and I was immediately in. I have everything at 100, and this is a new game once more! I am seeing a few animations not seen before.

I have always believed in the idea of defense proximity: A defender can be nearby, and though not necessarily challenging, can still subtly affect a shot. In reality pickup basketball, if I am late on a close-out I try to get the shooter to drop his eyes for a quarter second and break his focus on the rim momentarily. Sometimes it works on average and below-average shooters; pure shooters, forget about it. When Jumpshot's defense strength is at 50, it has frustrated me a little that a defender making a play from behind would make the jump shot automatically good. Basketball has some black and white, but it is mostly gray. Now, I have more of that gray simulation feel.

I will update my slider post on the front page so everyone can see what I am working with.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #93
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowell31
EccentricMeat, your research is doing it! I have been enjoying the movement slider research. I had read your research a few times over the years about defense strength. I had all defense strength at 100 for AI and users: Started experimenting in 2K17; off and on in 2K18, mostly on. I thought I could simply transfer sliders to 2K19, but the AI engineers changed the mechanic, so I had Jumpshot strength at 50 and Layups at 100.

Read your update that sliders now create more/better interactive player animations and I was immediately in. I have everything at 100, and this is a new game once more! I am seeing a few animations not seen before.

I have always believed in the idea of defense proximity: A defender can be nearby, and though not necessarily challenging, can still subtly affect a shot. In reality pickup basketball, if I am late on a close-out I try to get the shooter to drop his eyes for a quarter second and break his focus on the rim momentarily. Sometimes it works on average and below-average shooters; pure shooters, forget about it. When Jumpshot's defense strength is at 50, it has frustrated me a little that a defender making a play from behind would make the jump shot automatically good. Basketball has some black and white, but it is mostly gray. Now, I have more of that gray simulation feel.

I will update my slider post on the front page so everyone can see what I am working with.

I’m glad my threads have helped! All I hoped to do was to help others get started on their own slider sets, and get conversations started amongst the talented contributors of OS so that we can all work together to fix a series we love.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:27 AM   #94
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Yes, these defense sliders do affect the likelehood contact animations will trigger, but one thing I would suggest you also consider trying is a quick tendency edit:

So are you seeing fouls on 3pt shots, with lowering the shot contest tendencies ? Ive been considering raising all the block shot tendencies for every player, to see if will cause more shooting fouls on 3pt attempts. But I worry doing this global edit, would end up impacting sim stats in My League, and players and teams would be averaging too many blocks shots per game.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 01-22-2020, 04:18 AM   #95
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
So are you seeing fouls on 3pt shots, with lowering the shot contest tendencies ? Ive been considering raising all the block shot tendencies for every player, to see if will cause more shooting fouls on 3pt attempts. But I worry doing this global edit, would end up impacting sim stats in My League, and players and teams would be averaging too many blocks shots per game.
You can use the sliders that control stats to prevent that from happening, I think. I forget what they're called.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2020, 08:46 AM   #96
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
It's still rare, but I've seen it occur. It is something that even tendencies can't properly fix, unfortunately.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »