Home

Initial roster tweak

This is a discussion on Initial roster tweak within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Initial roster tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Hehe.... I know why you're confused Dan. This is tboneking's import from puja's franchise file. The question with this file is how does it play in-game. I wasn't really interested in 100% roster accuracy as depth charts, final cuts, etc. are a while away.
Wait a minute. You mean that tboneking exported all 32 teams from puja21's franchise file and then imported them into a roster file? Damn rookies. LOL.

Sorry, I dont have my Xbox hooked up right now so I cant comment on how the roster file plays but you should eliminate the "doubles" before a playing a franchise. Teams with two QB's are almost guaranteed to sign them in order of rating.

Or do you just play quick game?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
i think if i remember correctly, the guy who made this file was concerned by the import warning that says something like "there are extra players on one team," so he cut/signed players in the default roster before importing to make the roster counts match. prob cut palmer & manning from the default colts & bengals (since these QBs wouldve been sorted to the top by their high OVR rating)... then added them again during import
WTF??? Damn rookies. LOL.

I know about the player warning but there's two ways around it. First, you can assign a 54th player to all 32 teams in the roster file so it evens out when importing a team roster file from franchise. Second, in franchise, release the lowest rated player on each team and then export each team. You wont get the message using either method. However, as someone who tested this out a while ago, I must say that there are bugs when exporting and importing. Players will change positions at times and ratings/info get all screwed up. I personally dont recommend it but to each his own.

Quote:
the import tool prob causes the team names to appear in the name DB list. remember finn never finished it-- it was left in by accident then he didnt have the heart to pull it out once he saw people were using it anyway. i dont have an explanation for tarell brown, though i have seen that bug in other files floating around the web
It's funny, that's the first time that I ever saw team names in the player pop up list. I'm guessing that it has to do with exporting / importing teams because all 32 teams are listed there.

Like you, I have seen the bug with Tarell Brown before in other roster files. The first name doesnt exist in the roster file which is why it's blank. For name's that dont exist in a roster file, they have to typed in using the renaming method. People could also use the in-game rename option but I dont like to do that since a player like D'Brickashaw Ferguson would appear as DBrickashaw Ferguson. Also, the in-game renaming limits the character amount which is why a lot of names get cut off.

I fixed that quite easily though. I simply used the pop up list and found a name that doesnt have any players attached to it and has a star next to it. It was the first unattached name in the file. The names with stars next to it allow the name to be overwritten by typing in another name and replaces the original name.

I used that trick when I created those 2006 rookies in my franchise file over a year ago. The Draft Class players cant be overwritten via typing but if you select a name with a star next to it, the problem gets solved. That's how I was able to add in D'Brickashaw.

In any case, I really hate it when people use other people's roster and franchise file's without knowing what was done by the previous creator. Any bugs that are in a file simply go along for the ride no matter who uses the file. When people use other people's files, they should inquire about was originally done. Oh well.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
I must say that there are bugs when exporting and importing. Players will change positions at times and ratings/info get all screwed up. I personally dont recommend it but to each his own.
the only ratings issues ive seen have been for kickers & punters: anytime a position player acts as the destination for an importing punter/kicker, the resulting OVR rating will be wrong, although the individual attributes themselves transfer fine. in my experience, the OVR rating of the "new" kicker/punter has been lower every time compared to the source file. aside: the import tool seems to just paste over all the players from what i can tell-- this is reinforced by the fact that college & years exp dont transfer over in the process, just like when you manually paste a player in the editor... i think this is what you were talking about when you said "info gets all screwed up."

For example, if you look at the "great teams" file i made using the import tool, you can see that the college & years experience for each player will be leftover from whomever he was pasted onto in the default roster. this confirms that hypothosis. take the 49ers: imported the '89 49ers (i think?) over the default team. after import, joe montana's non-pasteable info will match a player on the default 49ers. so, if the import tool happened to paste him over Kevan Barlow, then Joe Montana's college would be Pitt & his years exp would be the same as barlow's after the import.

the PBP is the only example of typically non-pasteable info which is altered in some way during import. so, for joe montana his PBP would NOT be set to "Kevan Barlow," at least. Here's how PBP seems to work with the import tool: if the imported player has a last name in the PBP database like "Jones," then it will revert to some full-name version of that PBP entry like "Thomas Jones." However, if he does not have a PBP last name (like Montana), his PBP will change to his jersey # during the import process. So, it's kind of annoying that all your common name players (like Thomas, Smith, Johnson, Jones etc) will have their PBP changed to an incorrect full-name entry, but at least it doesn't remain as the source player's PBP. How annoying would it be to hear the wrong name announced for virtually every player on the field?? unfortunately, i think the PBP change is tied to the last name itself, so it does no good to change all PBP entries on the source team to their jersey #'s prior to importing. for example, if i took the '90 Bills & changed Thurman Thomas' PBP from "Thomas" to "#34" before importing, his PBP after import would still end up being set to "Joey Thomas" (or whatever fullname entry Thomas defaults to).

during the import process, it can be empirically shown that both teams are sorted by a specific field in the editor prior to transferring the players... i can't remember exactly what this field is, unfortunately, but finn must know. you can actually figure it out, however, by examining the players' info before & after import. back when i was making the Great Teams roster I had determined how the sort works, i just dont remember offhand
^take the 49ers again, for example (remembering again that for the great teams file, i imported my '89 historic 49ers team over the default 49ers). now let's say, just for the sake of example, that the import process sorts each team alphabetically by last name prior to pasting players. after sorting the editor seems to just paste each player from the source team onto the corresponding player (in that same order) on the destination team. EXAMPLE: So, if Harris Barton was the first player alphabetically on the '89 team he would be pasted over Anthony Adams, because Adams is the first player alphabetically on the default team. Barton's attributes, face/skin, body type, equipment, ht, wt, & DOB will all transfer over during the import, but he will retain Anthony Adam's college & years experience.. These 2 fields would have to be edited manually for all players on the team after import to retain their accuracy. Barton's PBP would become his jersey # since there is no "Barton" in the PBP database. If his last name had been Jones, this would become "Thomas Jones." The process would function the same way for all 54 players (assuming both teams are full).
^So, basically from what I can tell, in practical terms the import feature just pastes over all the players. This differs from manual pasting in 2 ways: (1) the name is changed & (2) PBP is altered (albeit not perfectly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
I know about the player warning but there's two ways around it. First, you can assign a 54th player to all 32 teams in the roster file so it evens out when importing a team roster file from franchise. Second, in franchise, release the lowest rated player on each team and then export each team. You wont get the message using either method.
^dan, how does releasing one player (the lowest rated) or maxing every default team @ 54 affect the warning? or are you just talking about when importing teams that have 54 players? remember, tbone was importing teams from a franchise file where each team could have any different # of players within the min/max range. i only ask b/c from my experience, it would seem you get the warning anytime your destination & source teams have a diff # of players (even w/ the draft class).

diff # of players b/w teams doesn't necessarily screw things up:
if the source has more players, some # of players (the difference to be exact) do not import. if the destination has more players, you get some players (the difference again) with reaaaaally low OVR ratings & seemingly random names appearing on the destination roster in the game. however, they dont appear assigned to that team in the editor. To view & edit these players in the editor, you need to use the search tool... so, they are just "hidden" in the editor, like celebrity players & historic team slot players.

Quote:
The first name doesnt exist in the roster file which is why it's blank. For name's that dont exist in a roster file, they have to typed in using the renaming method.
what is really weird about the tarell brown thing is that tarell is the only name i can remember off the top of my head which became blank, despite countless other examples of non-default names. for example, several people last year tried to export the 2007 draft class i created in my franchise & bring it into their own franchise using the import tool. although names like JaMarcus, Meriweather, Ginn Jr., etc were definitely not in the destination database, all of them transfered no problem... but several people reported the name Tarell popping up blank. when i was helping ppl try & transfer this class over, that one bug came up again & again but never w/ any other unique names. so i have no clue about that.

Last edited by puja21; 06-27-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
the only ratings issues ive seen have been for kickers & punters: anytime a position player acts as the destination for an importing punter/kicker, the resulting OVR rating will be wrong, although the individual attributes themselves transfer fine. in my experience, the OVR rating of the "new" kicker/punter has been lower every time compared to the source file. aside: the import tool seems to just paste over all the players from what i can tell-- this is reinforced by the fact that college & years exp dont transfer over in the process, just like when you manually paste a player in the editor... i think this is what you were talking about when you said "info gets all screwed up."

For example, if you look at the "great teams" file i made using the import tool, you can see that the college & years experience for each player will be leftover from whomever he was pasted onto in the default roster. this confirms that hypothosis. take the 49ers: imported the '89 49ers (i think?) over the default team. after import, joe montana's non-pasteable info will match a player on the default 49ers. so, if the import tool happened to paste him over Kevan Barlow, then Joe Montana's college would be Pitt & his years exp would be the same as barlow's after the import.

the PBP is the only example of typically non-pasteable info which is altered in some way during import. so, for joe montana his PBP would NOT be set to "Kevan Barlow," at least. Here's how PBP seems to work with the import tool: if the imported player has a last name in the PBP database like "Jones," then it will revert to some full-name version of that PBP entry like "Thomas Jones." However, if he does not have a PBP last name (like Montana), his PBP will change to his jersey # during the import process. So, it's kind of annoying that all your common name players (like Thomas, Smith, Johnson, Jones etc) will have their PBP changed to an incorrect full-name entry, but at least it doesn't remain as the source player's PBP. How annoying would it be to hear the wrong name announced for virtually every player on the field?? unfortunately, i think the PBP change is tied to the last name itself, so it does no good to change all PBP entries on the source team to their jersey #'s prior to importing. for example, if i took the '90 Bills & changed Thurman Thomas' PBP from "Thomas" to "#34" before importing, his PBP after import would still end up being set to "Joey Thomas" (or whatever fullname entry Thomas defaults to).

during the import process, it can be empirically shown that both teams are sorted by a specific field in the editor prior to transferring the players... i can't remember exactly what this field is, unfortunately, but finn must know. you can actually figure it out, however, by examining the players' info before & after import. back when i was making the Great Teams roster I had determined how the sort works, i just dont remember offhand
^take the 49ers again, for example (remembering again that for the great teams file, i imported my '89 historic 49ers team over the default 49ers). now let's say, just for the sake of example, that the import process sorts each team alphabetically by last name prior to pasting players. after sorting the editor seems to just paste each player from the source team onto the corresponding player (in that same order) on the destination team. EXAMPLE: So, if Harris Barton was the first player alphabetically on the '89 team he would be pasted over Anthony Adams, because Adams is the first player alphabetically on the default team. Barton's attributes, face/skin, body type, equipment, ht, wt, & DOB will all transfer over during the import, but he will retain Anthony Adam's college & years experience.. These 2 fields would have to be edited manually for all players on the team after import to retain their accuracy. Barton's PBP would become his jersey # since there is no "Barton" in the PBP database. If his last name had been Jones, this would become "Thomas Jones." The process would function the same way for all 54 players (assuming both teams are full).
^So, basically from what I can tell, in practical terms the import feature just pastes over all the players. This differs from manual pasting in 2 ways: (1) the name is changed & (2) PBP is altered (albeit not perfectly)
I appreciate you taking the time to explain that but you didnt have to bud. I honestly have no plans or intentions on using the exporting / importing option in Finn's editor. The only time that I ever messed around with it was in 2005 when I first was creating a roster update. I dont remember why I did it but I remember players getting all screwed up. It reminded me of the "classic" teams. If you look at the classic teams, all the players info is nearly identical to the current team in the default roster. Lucky for me, I never had any interest in playing with classic teams either. I do remember when I imported a team with 54 players onto a 53 player roster that a random player was missing and if I remember correctly, it had to do with the amount of players at a position. I dont remember it all. What I do know though is that the exporting / importing option is a lot of hard work and trouble because of the various problems. Thanks again for explaining it to me though.

*remembers back to the good old days when my 49ers ruled the NFL*

Quote:
dan, how does releasing one player (the lowest rated) or maxing every default team @ 54 affect the warning? or are you just talking about when importing teams that have 54 players? remember, tbone was importing teams from a franchise file where each team could have any different # of players within the min/max range. i only ask b/c from my experience, it would seem you get the warning anytime your destination & source teams have a diff # of players (even w/ the draft class).

diff # of players b/w teams doesn't necessarily screw things up:
if the source has more players, some # of players (the difference to be exact) do not import. if the destination has more players, you get some players (the difference again) with reaaaaally low OVR ratings & seemingly random names appearing on the destination roster in the game. however, they dont appear assigned to that team in the editor. To view & edit these players in the editor, you need to use the search tool... so, they are just "hidden" in the editor, like celebrity players & historic team slot players.
Like you said, the warning only appears when the amount of players isnt identical which is why I suggested signing or releasing a player to make both identical. The default roster should have 53 players on every team while most roster creators usually put the max amount of 54 players on every team. I was just assuming that every team has 54 players since that's the max. I know that the actual roster should be 53 like it is in the game but since there's an extra roster spot, it should be used. That trick is for teams with 54 players. Of course, if you're exporting a team with 50 players and importing it over a team with 45 players, you'll be missing 5 players. If you're importing 50 players over a team that has 54 players, I believe that 4 players who were originally on the team will remain even though they shouldnt. Dont quote me on the last part though as it's been almost two years since I messed around with the exporting / importing option in Finn's editor so there's definitely a possibility of me being wrong. I picked lowest rated so you wouldnt be missing an important player so to speak.

Quote:
what is really weird about the tarell brown thing is that tarell is the only name i can remember off the top of my head which became blank, despite countless other examples of non-default names. for example, several people last year tried to export the 2007 draft class i created in my franchise & bring it into their own franchise using the import tool. although names like JaMarcus, Meriweather, Ginn Jr., etc were definitely not in the destination database, all of them transfered no problem... but several people reported the name Tarell popping up blank. when i was helping ppl try & transfer this class over, that one bug came up again & again but never w/ any other unique names. so i have no clue about that.
Tarell Brown isnt the first player that I have seen with that problem. I remember a while ago when I downloaded rosters off of codejunkies.com, that problem came up time and time again. I could be wrong but I think it has something to do with the way the original player was edited into who he is now. That's just a guess though.

It's funny though, when I created my 2k6 roster, I never had any of these problems whatsoever and that includes freezing or lock up issues. The only problem that I had was that after week one in franchise mode, the starting QB became the kick and punt returner. Luckily, I have since solved that problem.

Oh well, where there's a problem, there's a solution.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:16 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

yo i tried this roster tweak thing out yesterday and it was really cool. i like it like this better.

thanks man keep it up.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
Rookie

i think that passing is too easy
Old 07-23-2007, 12:18 AM   #15
Rookie

Daflyboys,
I asked puja21 this question in his post so I hope I'm not being redundant. What source do you use for you rosters and depth charts for accuracy since ourlads isn't available any more?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2007, 12:21 AM   #16
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo
Daflyboys,
I asked puja21 this question in his post so I hope I'm not being redundant. What source do you use for you rosters and depth charts for accuracy since ourlads isn't available any more?
I like this one: http://www.localsports.ca/nfl_rosters/index.html

But, they won't do transactions. I already asked them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »