Home

NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #161
MVP

Eman5805's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

Zigzag? The heck's that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #162
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Strategy and shot selection are absolutely more important than stick skills. Da Czar has proven this and caused me to have to re-tune the shot timing system several times to compensate. He knows the plays inside and out like the back of his hand and can breakdown the defense better than anyone I've seen play our game. He's no slouch on the sticks either so it was a deadly combo. We went back and forth with several iterations and I'm confident we're in a good spot with the balance. At least, I haven't heard any complaints from him recently.

If you run plays and get fantastic looks but suck at timing you can still do pretty well. If you take bad shots but are amazing at timing, you'll do okay for a while but will probably lose. If you can manage to do both like Czar you'll be vicious in 15. If you're bad at both, then you might have to bump the diff. to Rookie.
the part in bold above is where i have an issue.

you shouldn't be able to "do okay" by taking bad shots....you should do terribly. my opinion is the game doesn't punish bad shots enough....so people are able to hang around in games and stay within 10 points by taking bad shots...when they should be getting blown out by 20-30 points. if you take bad shots, you shouldn't "probably lose," you should DEFINITELY lose...and lose by a lot. i should also clarify that on this topic i'm mostly referring to ONLINE play.

this area is where i really liked 2k11. users who took bad shots would quickly get down by 15-20 points and had no chance of coming back if they continued their bad shot selection...now the same type of user usually gets a few comeback boosts that allow them to stay within 10 points or so.

bring back blowouts...blowouts are warranted when a lot of bad shots are being taken. i should be able to destroy an opponent by 30 points if he's just jacking up garbage and ramming into the paint...problem is, sometimes i only beat him by 9-12 points. that dude should be getting BLOWN OUT by 20-30 every game. instead, he's able to hang around in games and even win sometimes...by taking ALL BAD SHOTS. not cool. i understand casuals have fragile egos and they need to feel like they're doing well to keep them playing the game. i get it...it's business - that's how you keep people buying the game. people won't keep buying a game if they feel like they're terrible at it...but how are these people ever gonna learn if they're able to hang in games and stay within 10 points by playing terrible basketball? make it tough again. difficult games like Demon's Souls are on the rise...i'm sick of forgiving games. let's challenge people again rather than coddling them.

Last edited by blues rocker; 08-16-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #163
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
Zigzag? The heck's that?
It just means less cheese!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #164
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
See, it's not even just controller wizardry that wins online games. It's knowing how to cheese, what animations to exploit, what overpowered defensive set to leave on, and what real life basketball instincts to ignore.

Of course stick skills are required-- you need fast response and instincts to pull off some NBA level playmaking-- and I've been destroyed by guys with great iso stick skills while also playing a game that actually kind of resembles real life basketball. Competent isomotion also requires a fair amount of stick finess.

It's when cheese and meta-gaming matters more than sound basketball decisions and iq that bothers me and drags the game down online. I love that this year's design is focused on combatting much of it. I also hope these measures aren't nerfed online because last year's online play wasn't as balanced or realistic as we had hoped.
"Controller Wizardry" is my own euphemism for cheese and exploitive play, so I agree with you 100 percent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
the part in bold above is where i have an issue. you shouldn't be able to "do okay" by taking bad shots....you should do terribly. my opinion is the game doesn't punish bad shots enough....so people are able to hang around in games and stay within 10 points by taking bad shots...when they should be getting blown out by 20 points. if you take bad shots, you shouldn't "probably lose," you should DEFINITELY lose...and lose by a lot.

this area is where i really liked 2k11. users who took back shots would quickly get down by 15-20 points and had no chance of coming back if they continued their bad shot selection...now the same type of user usually gets a few comeback boosts that allow them to stay within 10 points or so. bring back blowouts...blowouts are warranted when a lot of bad shots are being taken. i should be able to destroy an opponent by 30 points if he's just jacking up garbage and ramming into the paint...problem is, sometimes i only beat him by 9-12 points. that dude should be getting BLOWN OUT by 20-30 every game. instead, he's able to hang around in games and even win sometimes...by taking ALL BAD SHOTS.
I agree, but it seems that since a lot of the people, maybe even the majority(sad to say)who buy this game, play that style of ball, they're not going to completely alienate that part of their consumer base by having them be totally unable to compete and many times win, in spite of their poor decision making. It seems as if they were much harder of that kind of play a few years back, but backed off, probably because there was a public outcry bemoaning the failure levels that you mention.

I don't like it, but I get why they do it, so that's why, IMO, random online games will never be a plus gaming experience. They do seem to be eliminating the most egregious, non basketball type exploits, however, so the experience isn't totally unpalatable.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #165
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

are people really complaining about being good with the r-stick is cheese or did i miss-read some posts?

please clarify it in 1-3 sentences not a paragraph (my eyes hurt from the DMV)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #166
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Strategy and shot selection are absolutely more important than stick skills. Da Czar has proven this and caused me to have to re-tune the shot timing system several times to compensate. He knows the plays inside and out like the back of his hand and can breakdown the defense better than anyone I've seen play our game. He's no slouch on the sticks either so it was a deadly combo. We went back and forth with several iterations and I'm confident we're in a good spot with the balance. At least, I haven't heard any complaints from him recently.

If you run plays and get fantastic looks but suck at timing you can still do pretty well. If you take bad shots but are amazing at timing, you'll do okay for a while but will probably lose. If you can manage to do both like Czar you'll be vicious in 15. If you're bad at both, then you might have to bump the diff. to Rookie.
Have you guys fixed plays breaking? You mentioned Da Czar running plays, but im unable to do so in online games due to plays constantly breaking.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #167
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8

And does this shot meter also tie in with signature skill shot % increases?
Old 08-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #168
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by turty11
are people really complaining about being good with the r-stick is cheese or did i miss-read some posts?

please clarify it in 1-3 sentences not a paragraph (my eyes hurt from the DMV)
I think people are saying that you shouldnt be able to make a player shoot better than he can in real life no matter how good your skills are.

At least that was my point.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »