Home

2K24 Graphics comparison vs 2K23

This is a discussion on 2K24 Graphics comparison vs 2K23 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-11-2023, 07:16 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: 2K24 Graphics comparison vs 2K23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
In game is very cartoonish compared to 23
It’s wild and I wonder if it’s a tactic or purposeful or due to some necessary sacrifices. I feel like “cartoony” lighting is the theme for this game be it on purpose or not. Courts are so clearly “video gamey” that they don’t resemble any real life surface or how the surface it’s supposed to be would reflect lighting. The editor seems to somehow follow suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
If y'all think this is bad, go back to 2k21 and compare the differences with textures and lighting.
This was said in another thread, but the developers may need to drop the whole native 4k @ 60fps thing. It's clearly not feasible to maintain the quality without suffering in other areas. Sports games need the 60fps like shooters, so not doing native 4k should be the move.

Most graphically advanced games don't even use native 4k, hence why they're able to push it further. Doing 1440p with some kind of upscaling solution with better textures, cloth sims, etc would help across the board.

Lastly, I think we may need to acknowledge 2k's graphic engine is dated and may have some significant limitations. This same thing happened on last gen too 2k14. The more they added to the game, the worse the lighting and textures got (wonder if online is a part of this) and tbh, the textures weren't the best to begin with. Cloth and modeling have also never been a strong suit. There isn't much competition anymore, but for the few sports titles out there, 2k isn't the top dog anymore and in several areas they're behind significantly.
Man I was just thinking how 2K21 next gen is arguably the worst PRODUCT I’ve witnessed. The lighting and washed out colors (namely reds and yellows) is comically bad. Like how did they ever put that out. Then the defense was so horrific it was like 5 James hardens on his worst day guarding you.

I feel like 2K25 is gonna be such a massive update. But at the same time dropping graphical quality in several respects for 24 maybe means that simply retuning to 2K23 style courts and player editor screens for 25 will make everyone tricked into oo’ing and ahh’ing at how much more real the lighting and graphics look.

And that last part about 2K14 is interesting! It does seem like specific graphical quality is what suffers as they add more stuff into these games. Because the available tech or budgets don’t improve yearly rapidly enough to keep up with all the new content they add. So something has to give and the pattern is lighting/textures.

The fact that 2K is desperate for an updated actual next gen derived engine also I’m sure plays into those current limitations.

They need to drop last gen once and for all to finally really move ahead I think. And no doubt the massive resources used for online just destroys the potential for what they can do with an entire game dedicated to NBA (can you imagine). Imagine the resources it takes to create ALL NEW MASSIVE CITIES each year for mycareer mode. That’s like GTA releasing a new lite version of its game yearly with new cities and cars etc.

Last edited by AIRJ23; 09-11-2023 at 07:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2023, 08:17 PM   #42
Pro

Lagoa's Arena

OVR: 3

It's a (bad) artistic choice, guys. I say this with confidence, as I have been a 2K modder for years.

The reflections are working like 2k22 and 23 they are just not as visible because the file that increases/decrease effect has been changed.

The reflections work identical to 2K23, they just don't reflect with the same strength. Its not a hardware/power issue.

Just like the player editing screen, they are the same faces, but they chose different lighting, ruining the photorealism.

NBA 2K has become a big NBA PARK, where moving uniforms no longer matter, courts, textures, all of this is secondary and is no longer 2K's focus.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:06 PM   #43
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoa
It's a (bad) artistic choice, guys. I say this with confidence, as I have been a 2K modder for years.

The reflections are working like 2k22 and 23 they are just not as visible because the file that increases/decrease effect has been changed.

The reflections work identical to 2K23, they just don't reflect with the same strength. Its not a hardware/power issue.

Just like the player editing screen, they are the same faces, but they chose different lighting, ruining the photorealism.

NBA 2K has become a big NBA PARK, where moving uniforms no longer matter, courts, textures, all of this is secondary and is no longer 2K's focus.

You sound goofy, why would 2K (in your opinion) make the game look worse on purpose with no reason whatsoever? The performance of the game sucked last year, the framerate was garbage when playing full perspective cameras (broadcast) because the systems couldn’t handle it
Old 09-11-2023, 09:25 PM   #44
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by strosdood
You sound goofy, why would 2K (in your opinion) make the game look worse on purpose with no reason whatsoever? The performance of the game sucked last year, the framerate was garbage when playing full perspective cameras (broadcast) because the systems couldn’t handle it
You realize your experience was rare, right. Most people had no problem with frame rate. I can’t remember the last time I saw any frame rate glitch with 2K23 and I’ve played it tons and always on broadcast. They resolved that issue long ago. Look at any YouTube video of 2K23 gameplay, there’s no framrate glitches and it flows perfectly smooth. So while I do think the graphical regressions were (must be) done to make gameplay smooth, I doubt any 2K23 frame rate issue is the reason. It’s likely because 2K24 pushing 2K23 lighting would be way too unstable due to 24’s additions sapping resources. People in this thread say they’re still getting frame rate glitches so there goes that theory anyway. Clearly the issues are tied to the outdated engine in general in this game since it’s been two years with some people reporting those flickers.

I can also see it being a bad artistic choice but I feel like even if the lighting is still there, if the game is showing you new lighting with less rendering that must sap less resources. Idk.

They could also be doing it on purpose so when they launch 2K25 with glossy reflective floors and high res player editor screens, people will go nuts. Rinse and repeat.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:17 PM   #45
Banned

Tell me these reflections aren’t just about on the same level of 2K23

No reason why every court can’t look like this. Like I said, I believe the problem is totally fixable . It’s just a matter of whether or not they actually will. The likelihood is very slim.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2023, 10:37 PM   #46
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRJ23
You realize your experience was rare, right. Most people had no problem with frame rate. I can’t remember the last time I saw any frame rate glitch with 2K23 and I’ve played it tons and always on broadcast. They resolved that issue long ago. Look at any YouTube video of 2K23 gameplay, there’s no framrate glitches and it flows perfectly smooth. So while I do think the graphical regressions were (must be) done to make gameplay smooth, I doubt any 2K23 frame rate issue is the reason. It’s likely because 2K24 pushing 2K23 lighting would be way too unstable due to 24’s additions sapping resources. People in this thread say they’re still getting frame rate glitches so there goes that theory anyway. Clearly the issues are tied to the outdated engine in general in this game since it’s been two years with some people reporting those flickers.

I can also see it being a bad artistic choice but I feel like even if the lighting is still there, if the game is showing you new lighting with less rendering that must sap less resources. Idk.

They could also be doing it on purpose so when they launch 2K25 with glossy reflective floors and high res player editor screens, people will go nuts. Rinse and repeat.

Bro what!?! U commented on my thread about this last year saying u were getting the framerate stutter really bad 🤣 are u trolling now?
Old 09-11-2023, 10:42 PM   #47
Pro

Lagoa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by strosdood
When we work with mods, we understand how files work within the game (not completely, of course). In the case of reflections, they only "REFLECT" what is already happening on the court (Arena Lights and dornas).

This remains identical in 2K24, meaning the graphics engine continues to send and use the same information.

But when something is changed on the court floor, 2K changes a special file, and it contains the values of how much the reflections will appear. On PC we change this from 1% to 100% and it has NOTHING impact on the FPS, because as I said, stadium lights and dornas work regardless of this.

The frame drop problem is another error, it has no connection with this. In fact, I have 2K23 on Series X and Playstation 5, on Playstation, the problem almost doesn't exist, on Xbox it's aggressive.

As for why 2K would do this? Obviously I don't have that answer, but we've seen it happen many times, they always do it.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:44 PM   #48
Pro

Lagoa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeDropped81
Tell me these reflections aren’t just about on the same level of 2K23

No reason why every court can’t look like this. Like I said, I believe the problem is totally fixable . It’s just a matter of whether or not they actually will. The likelihood is very slim.
In this case, i think its because Spurs sideline and paint have BLACK COLOR. Reflections will be more agressive in dark colors. U can see this with another colors, like, Dark Blue, on Sixers, Black and Purple on Suns...

Reflection apears more agressive in dark floors.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »