Home

NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #113
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
I'm not sure I like it but at least it's optional so that's cool. I actually really like using Real Player % as I suck at timing. I'll give it a shot though, as long as it's optional I'm happy.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #114
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
This is one fundamental difference between 14 and 15 that you should be able to notice. In 14, the player's timing window was directly proportionate to his jumper animation. So typically, guys who elevated more always had a bigger window than set shooters, which made them easier to time. In 15, we decoupled the size of the window from the animation. So better shooters should be easier to shoot with regardless of what animation they're assigned.

Mike the only thing I didn't see explained is does the shot meter change based off location on the court or do you just get one shot meter regardless? Example I will use Bradley Beal and Westbrook.

Westbrook is a better mid range jump shooter % wise than Beal, but Beal is much better 3PT shooter. However overall they shoot the same overall from total jumpers

Westbrook Beal
Mid range 43% 38%
3pt 32% 39%
Overall 38% 38%
Old 08-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #115
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

my main concern with shot success is that open shots are rewarded with success, and contested shots are punished with missing. i just want the shot success to make sense. reward people who take the time to get open shots. by allowing too many contested/contact shots go in, it makes success feel arbitrary, and allows people to compete even with bad shot selection. don't allow player ratings to overpower "good basketball." as of now, users can use player ratings and sig skills as a crutch to make up for their bad shot selection.

one of the big questions in video game basketball is: how much should the outcome be determined by the user's choices vs. how much of the outcome should be determined by the player ratings? it is my view that the user's decisions (shot selection, strategy) should be the OVERWHELMING PRIMARY factor in determining success. I have always believed that a good user who picks a mediocre team should still be able to destroy a bad user who picks the Spurs...whoever has better shot selection should win...not whoever has more allstars.

as of now, bad users can kind of compete just by picking a good team and just jacking up random shots (because eventually the player ratings and sig skills take over and they're just going to start hitting shots no matter how bad their shot selection is). this is my main problem with the game (especially online). if a user picks a team with a bunch of allstars who can make contested/contact shots, then shot selection doesn't matter enough. it matters a bit, but i want to see shooting percentages as low as 23-29% (yes, even for the Spurs or Heat) if the user is jacking up all contested/contact shots and isn't even trying to get open (this might be an "unrealistically low" shooting percentage...but unrealistically bad basketball calls for unrealistically low shooting percentages).

Last edited by blues rocker; 08-16-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #116
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
This is one fundamental difference between 14 and 15 that you should be able to notice. In 14, the player's timing window was directly proportionate to his jumper animation. So typically, guys who elevated more always had a bigger window than set shooters, which made them easier to time. In 15, we decoupled the size of the window from the animation. So better shooters should be easier to shoot with regardless of what animation they're assigned.
Don't make it to easy for them mike.make practice mode essential

fighting for truth, justice and SIMULATION gameplay
Old 08-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #117
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
my main concern with shot success is that open shots are rewarded with success, and contested shots are punished with missing. i just want the shot success to make sense. reward people who take the time to get open shots. allowing too many contested/contact shots go in makes success feel arbitrary, and allows people to compete even with bad shot selection. don't allow player ratings to overpower "good basketball." as of now, users can use player ratings as a crutch to make up for their bad shot selection.

Bluesrocker,

Keep this in mind though some players actually shoot much better when contested which goes against that train of thought, it is not the majority but it happens. Then there are some players that drop off dramatically when contested like Dragic. Check the link it was from March so it should be based off pretty much 2/3 of the season but you can see the trend. At that time the average % drop for a contest across the league was like 5.4% for jumpers. I am waiting for 2K to implement something like this where they rate the players based off contest, open, spot up and off the dribble separately.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/0...a_12_twitter_L
Old 08-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #118
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Bluesrocker,

Keep this in mind though some players actually shoot much better when contested which goes against that train of thought, it is not the majority but it happens. Then there are some players that drop off dramatically when contested like Dragic. Check the link it was from March so it should be based off pretty much 2/3 of the season but you can see the trend. At that time the average % drop for a contest across the league was like 5.4% for jumpers. I am waiting for 2K to implement something like this where they rate the players based off contest, open, spot up and off the dribble separately.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/0...a_12_twitter_L
yeah, i get that. i get that some players can make contested shots...but how do you deal with this in a video game? i feel like they should lower the success for contested shots a bit more than in real life, in order to prevent people from using player ratings in place of strategy. i get that a real player might be able to hit contested shots all day long...but a user shouldn't be able to do that in a video game...it removes all skill/strategy/decision-making from the equation...and it just becomes about relying on player ratings for success.

maybe there could just be a new mode called "strategy mode" or something...where player ratings and sig skills are toned down and strategy/shot selection are made more important.

Last edited by blues rocker; 08-16-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #119
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I hope my control shot stick won't keep resetting to camera relative this year. I prefer absolute.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 08-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #120
Banned

OVR: 0
I'm very interested in post up game. Can you expand on that a bit?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »