Home

NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:54 AM   #97
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
More of a pump shot on the move when someone is trying to block your shot.. that's def. not it though.
Almost like an and1 type of shot ? Like this but on a jumper ?

http://youtu.be/ieK5Y8g8gOw
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 08-16-2014, 02:26 AM   #98
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybudd
Some elaboration is needed.

Why, what makes it master proof?
Shot contests are one of the factors that go into how big or small your release window is, along with ratings, fatigue, whether he was squared up or off balance, etc. All those factors form the size of your shot window, which you are trying to hit. Its master proof because there are almost an infinite amount of different factors that could change the size of your window.

Your player could be fresh, at 85 energy, 74 energy, 19 energy etc. You could be off balance in your hot zone, or maybe squared up in a cold zone. You could be wide open, being contested by a 5'8" Isaiah Thomas, or a 7' Javale Mcgee. You could have a 90 midrange rating, or 79 midrange rating etc. You could be playing on pro, all star, or HOF.

ALL of those things are gonna affect the size of the window. Plus it was stated that is is difficult to get a perfect release on the higher levels. Which means if your are taking an extremely bad shot on HOF that doesn't really allow for any wiggle room on the meter, that shot is gonna miss unless you get a perfect release, period. THATS why it can't be mastered, you're never gonna have a set window size.

I personally love the system. We are actually gonna have to work and focus to dig ourselves out of holes. We will actually feel the pressure of big shots down the stretch. Shooting takes focus, and I love that 2k is actually focusing on depicting that. I'll be using this setting, but there is nothing stopping anyone from going back to Real Player %.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof
Old 08-16-2014, 02:28 AM   #99
MVP

OVR: 1
NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrleaderboards
[/b]

I always come across a casual gamer that will try and exploit the game by running I so with PG or Durant or D Rose and try to go off with that one player. Not say that those players don't have the ability to go off, but I don't know...maybe the chemistry should play abfactor in the game.

Like for example, if you start chucking up shots with Durant, the AI Westbrook won't pass you the ball for a few plays or AI Ibaka & Perkins will stop hustling for rebounds the less touches they get.

I don't know...I'm just making up stuff as I go along, all I know is that we can't enable casuals to play wreckless and then reward them on top of it.
I was really hoping last year's emotion badges would also play into team chemistry negatively in games. Like Alpha dogs get unhappy when they don't get enough shots or are a big part of the scoring load. So you couldn't put a Kobe with Carmelo and with a Harden together and necessarily keep them all happy in games (and in association).

I also think it'd be amazing to have players start to cool down and get disengaged on offense or defense if they're not getting their expected amount of touches, and if the teammate grades for shots and ball hogging affected team momentum/chemistry/energy for non MyPlayer games as well. It would reinforce good, realistic team basketball (even teams with a ball dominant superstar don't have him shoot every shot), as well as affect how you build teams in association and even in MyPlayer!

The shot fatigue feature might fix a lot of superstar chucking issues but not sure if it would address ill-fitting unrealistic superstar teams. I think it may actually encourage them so you have more superstars to take shots with to combat shot fatigue.

Speaking of Emotion Badges, Curry should absolutely not have Volume Shooter. He often lays off shooting to distribute and then goes into Curry mode in second halves of games. I believe that should be replaced with Clutch. Last year, Curry lead the league for most of the season in 4th quarter points, hit a few game winners, and had some interesting stat like leading the league and tying Damian Lillard in clutch go-ahead baskets with 24 seconds to go.

Curry's current badges has him best played like gamers play Curry-- not how Curry actually plays Curry.

/requisite mancrush

Last edited by Sundown; 08-16-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:28 AM   #100
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5541
Almost like an and1 type of shot ? Like this but on a jumper ?

http://youtu.be/ieK5Y8g8gOw
Yeah.. the way you described it but it would be more of a way to evade the defense or rather getting your shot blocked on an aggressive contest...

Not necessarily this actual execution of it here but similar idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_0SDsJPqmQ

Can't find one yet but I will...would be interesting how that kind of shot would fit in with this metered release

Last edited by 23; 08-16-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:09 AM   #101
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30
Re: New Shot Meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrleaderboards
Me being someone who likes to see guys play like their counterparts, I have a question I'd like to ask that hasn't been brought up yet.

Can big time scorers like Melo, Durant, Curry, Kobe have a lower shot fatigue than others? Like as a knick fan, I noticed that Carmelo can keep up the barrage of scoring without getting tired til late in the game. I'm sure like all great scorers, when they're on a roll, that the basket gets as big as an ocean to them. Will we as players be able to tell the difference between a Tobias Harris having a "Good Shooting night" compared to Melo and curry and Durant sustaining longer periods where there shooting isn't affected nearly as bad as the average player?

Or will will you guys just throw some sort of "Badge" like you did last year?

Yes. We use real life FGA stats to determine how quickly a player fatigues. So volume shooters can put up a lot more shots before being affected.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2014, 04:18 AM   #102
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
The shot release given to a player might still play the biggest factor.

This is one fundamental difference between 14 and 15 that you should be able to notice. In 14, the player's timing window was directly proportionate to his jumper animation. So typically, guys who elevated more always had a bigger window than set shooters, which made them easier to time. In 15, we decoupled the size of the window from the animation. So better shooters should be easier to shoot with regardless of what animation they're assigned.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:19 AM   #103
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: New Shot Meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Yes. We use real life FGA stats to determine how quickly a player fatigues. So volume shooters can put up a lot more shots before being affected.
Has the fatigue system been changed to affect different positions differently? In 2k14, centers and power forwards got tired way too quickly, it was nearly impossible to get a guy like cousins or Howard out there for 30 minutes of action. And for guards, you would lucky to get close to 34 minutes out there.

Some guys in the NBA can go out there for 38-40 minutes, but not in 2k, unless you manually edit the stamina sliders and fatigue rate.

Has anything been changed to make the minutes for players more realistic when you play 48 minute games?

I mean obviously we can throw someone out there and try to kill them, but I would like to see myself putting a guy like Howard out there for 34 minutes and subbing him out when he hits around 75 stamina through out the course of a game.

Also, has anything been done to address the magical cpu alley oops that can't be stopped by either the square, triangle or thumbstick?

And has anything been done regarding some of those layup animations that were pretty much always successful? Like the contact layup that happened frequently in 2k14?
Old 08-16-2014, 04:27 AM   #104
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Yeah.. the way you described it but it would be more of a way to evade the defense or rather getting your shot blocked on an aggressive contest...

Not necessarily this actual execution of it here but similar idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_0SDsJPqmQ

Can't find one yet but I will...would be interesting how that kind of shot would fit in with this metered release

I've been meaning to work this into the shot system for a while but it keeps falling off the feature list. Mostly because you don't see it often on "regular" J's. And to make it look right you'd have to blend out of the normal shot pretty early, before the player even reaches the apex.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »