Home

Allpro football would sell this time

This is a discussion on Allpro football would sell this time within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 12:54 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Allpro football would sell this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
We also know that according to 2k, the game will be a non simulation football experience.

Don't you think this would have been worded differently if they could still make a simulation non NFL game?
You didn't quote the press release, you quoted a reporter's interpretation. Everything I have seen worded from the NFL, EA, and 2K has been clear, "NFL simulation."

I have seen plenty of gaming press and others focus only on the word simulation, but I think the distinction is important.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:05 AM   #50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
So, not to open up a very unnecessary can of worms and this is actually way off topic but this paragraph made me think, "Why DID EA agree to this at all?"
100% speculating, but since the 5 year renewal seemed to take place on the heals of this "historic" agreement, I'd say it was related to those negations. Maybe EA wants to pay less (maybe using that savings to bring back a couple IPs, but still doesn't want to give 2K too much ability to compete. Maybe 2K threatened to sue over wording in the contracts.

But that is the right question, along with why 2K would spend money on the NFL and NFLPA assets. They expect to profit off it, and maybe they think NFL Playgrounds can do that, which would be a mistake on the order of 2K's third party exclusivity deal with MLB.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #51
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
100% speculating, but since the 5 year renewal seemed to take place on the heals of this "historic" agreement, I'd say it was related to those negations. Maybe EA wants to pay less (maybe using that savings to bring back a couple IPs, but still doesn't want to give 2K too much ability to compete. Maybe 2K threatened to sue over wording in the contracts.

But that is the right question, along with why 2K would spend money on the NFL and NFLPA assets. They expect to profit off it, and maybe they think NFL Playgrounds can do that, which would be a mistake on the order of 2K's third party exclusivity deal with MLB.
Right, and that terrible third - party deal (which sunk the MLB 2K series & to a lesser degree, IMO, the NHL & Top Spin series) was under different management that was attempting to get "payback" at EA for stripping them of the NFL license.

The current regime has been far, far more savvy & pushed for IP's that can be iterated on and/or have strong monetary growth (read: microtransactions) potential.

A deal with the NFL that doesn't recoup or double their initial investment would be less prudent to these higher - ups at Take - Two, IMO.

Again, IMO, there has to be more to this deal (from an IP's standpoint) than just mobile titles + NFL Playgrounds/NFL MyPark/NFL Street/NFL Blitz knock-off for this to be viable & a roaring success.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #52
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

if the Arcade license was always available then why now 2k decides to get it only to make a playgrounds game that's more likely would sell worst then all pro.

Last edited by simbayless; 12-03-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:06 AM   #53
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
You didn't quote the press release, you quoted a reporter's interpretation. Everything I have seen worded from the NFL, EA, and 2K has been clear, "NFL simulation."

I have seen plenty of gaming press and others focus only on the word simulation, but I think the distinction is important.
This. EA doesn’t own exclusive rights to simulation football bc the NFL doesn’t own simulation football.

I would love an All Pro type game with real NFL players that blows madden out of the water gameplay and franchise wise. So I can’t play as the Bucs but I can play as the Tampa Bay whatever’s with Mike Evans and Lavonte David on the team.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #54
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
This. EA doesn’t own exclusive rights to simulation football bc the NFL doesn’t own simulation football.

I would love an All Pro type game with real NFL players that blows madden out of the water gameplay and franchise wise. So I can’t play as the Bucs but I can play as the Tampa Bay whatever’s with Mike Evans and Lavonte David on the team.
Of course they don't, but if 2k planned to release a game w/ real NFL players that a consumer could reasonably confuse with a simulation of NFL football (Mahomes on the cover in a red jersey w/ an arrowhead, etc) then not only could they face legal challenges that could prevent it from ever being released, it could endanger their relationship and all future plans with the NFL and NFLPA.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:45 PM   #55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Of course they don't, but if 2k planned to release a game w/ real NFL players that a consumer could reasonably confuse with a simulation of NFL football (Mahomes on the cover in a red jersey w/ an arrowhead, etc) then not only could they face legal challenges that could prevent it from ever being released, it could endanger their relationship and all future plans with the NFL and NFLPA.
Obviously this all depends on what NFL simulation means to EA, the NFL, and 2K, and how their lawyers agreed to proceed.

We know that the NFL and NFLPA sold rights to 2K. So they can make a game with Mahomes on the cover with the official Arrowhead.

My speculation is that the game can reference him as a KC Chief, but it can't place him on a team called the Chiefs and play out a schedule against other NFL teams with accurate NFL rosters.

But they could create a way to build a team out of a selection of stars, and like MUT, they can probably even use NFL uniforms for the teams (I would prefer custom, but the NFL is primarily concerned with marketing).

I'm thinking of two things. What would EA and the NFL agree to let 2K do, and what 2K find to be worth the price to get back into football. To me it's obvious that EA just wants exclusive rights to recreating and NFL season with NFL rosters that can used in Play Now games, Season, or Franchise.

2K needs something that will generate revenue, and it looks like they got the rights to exactly what they need to do a MUT type mode. And while they can't do an NFL season, I'm betting they will do a free offline version of MyTeam that will be similar APF2K8.

It could also be much more arcade and mobile and absolutely nothing we are interested in. But I don't think they can make enough money doing that to make it worth the effort.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #56
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
It's a safe bet the NFL and NFLPA have already been made aware of (and possibly seen ) what type of games Take-Two/2k has planned. If one of them is in fact an NFLPA-licensed "sim" then it will have already gotten the greenlight without infringing on any legal agreements or hurting anyone's feelings.

This prevailing and tired notion that Take-Two/2k could somehow stealth release a game that the NFL and NFLPA had absolutely no idea was in development is absurd.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »