Home

Allpro football would sell this time

This is a discussion on Allpro football would sell this time within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #41

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Allpro football would sell this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I’m not sure which one you quoted looking back through the thread. There were 2 different announcements, one for the NFL license in March when they specifically said they were making multiple NFL non sim titles.

The second was in July for the NFLPA and it never really states that agreement is for non sim only.

According to the news release, the partnership gives 2K the “right to feature the names, numbers, images and likenesses for over 2,000 current NFL players.” 2K plans to feature players “in multiple football games in development and set to launch starting in calendar year 2021.”

2k has the right to feature NFL players in any game. No restrictions as far as sim, non sim goes. It’s possible they could make an APF game with the players and not include NFL branding and still make multiple NFL games as well. They’ve never committed on how many games they plan on making. Again, I’m playing devils advocate for the hell of it. I don’t actually believe this is the case, just that the wording doesn’t rule it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Here's the thread with the July release, bolded both of the parts you and I quoted:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...all-games.html

Quote:
2K Announces Partnership with OneTeam Partners & the NFL Players Association

Download PDF
Multiple NFL video games in development to include football's most prominent star players

OneTeam Partners plays leading role in player-driven partnership

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jul. 30, 2020-- 2K, OneTeam Partners (OneTeam) and the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA), today announced a partnership that will allow the label to include National Football League (NFL) players in multiple football games in development and set to launch starting in calendar year 2021, during Take-Two Interactive’s fiscal year 2022.

This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...0730005260/en/

The partnership will grant 2K the right to feature the names, numbers, images and likenesses for over 2,000 current NFL players. OneTeam, the NFLPA’s group licensing representative, facilitated the deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

“We’re thrilled to be working with the NFLPA and OneTeam to bring the biggest and best stars in football to the games we’re working on,” said David Ismailer, President of 2K. “We want to give fans experiences that are authentic, memorable and fun, and having a roster of real-life sports heroes through the Players Association and OneTeam is a huge part of delivering on that promise.”

“2K has a proven track record of high-profile and successful business relationships with other sports leagues, professional athletes and their collective fans,” said Steve Scebelo, Interim President of NFL Players Inc., the marketing and licensing arm the NFLPA. “The label makes some of the best sports video games in the world, and we look forward to working with 2K, our players and OneTeam on future projects.”

“Sports video gaming is a massive growth category, and the partnership between the NFLPA and 2K presents an opportunity not only to excite current gamers but also reach untapped future audiences,” said Ahmad Nassar, CEO of OneTeam Partners. “Our role is to bring together strong collective rights that can be supported by the most innovative and creative businesses, benefiting all stakeholders. We are pleased to be a part of this important partnership.”

2K's NFL games will be non-simulation football game experiences, and are currently in early stages of development. Specific game titles, developers and release dates will be announced at a later date.

For more information on 2K, visit 2K.com, become a fan on Facebook, follow the company on Twitter and Instagram or subscribe on YouTube.

2K is a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO).

All trademarks and copyrights contained herein are the property of their respective holders.

About Take-Two Interactive Software

Headquartered in New York City, Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. is a leading developer, publisher and marketer of interactive entertainment for consumers around the globe. We develop and publish products principally through Rockstar Games, 2K, Private Division, and Social Point. Our products are designed for console systems and personal computers, including smartphones and tablets, and are delivered through physical retail, digital download, online platforms and cloud streaming services. The Company’s common stock is publicly traded on NASDAQ under the symbol TTWO. For more corporate and product information please visit our website at http://www.take2games.com.

About 2K

Founded in 2005, 2K develops and publishes global interactive entertainment for console and handheld gaming systems, personal computers and mobile devices, with product availability including physical retail and digital download. The Company is home to many talented development studios, including Visual Concepts, Firaxis Games, Hangar 13, Cat Daddy Games, 31st Union and Cloud Chamber. 2K’s portfolio currently includes the renowned BioShock®, Borderlands™, Mafia and XCOM® franchises; NBA® 2K, the global phenomenon and highest rated* annual sports title for the current console generation; the critically acclaimed Sid Meier’s Civilization® series; the popular WWE® 2K and WWE® SuperCard franchises, as well as emerging properties NBA® 2K Playgrounds 2, Carnival Games and more. Additional information about 2K and its products may be found at 2k.com.

* According to 2008 – 2020 Metacritic.com

About OneTeam Partners

Formed in November 2019, OneTeam Partners is a joint venture between the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA), Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) and RedBird Capital. OneTeam helps athletes maximize the value of their name, image and likeness rights by transforming the way in which athletes interact with businesses across four verticals: group licensing, athlete marketing, content and venture investing. OneTeam represents a range of commercial business interests on behalf of the NFLPA, MLBPA, Major League Soccer Players Association, United States Women’s National Team Players Association, Women’s National Basketball Players Association, and United States Rugby Players Association.

About the NFL Players Association

The National Football League Players Association is the union for professional football players in the National Football League. Established in 1956, the NFLPA has a long history of assuring proper recognition and representation of players’ interests. The NFLPA has shown that it will do whatever is necessary to assure that the rights of players are protected—including ceasing to be a union, if necessary, as it did in 1989. In 1993, the NFLPA again was officially recognized as the union representing the players and negotiated a landmark Collective Bargaining Agreement with the NFL. The current CBA will govern the sport through the 2030 NFL season.

About NFL Players Inc.

NFL Players Inc., the licensing and marketing arm of the NFLPA, connects businesses to the power of NFL players. NFL Players Inc. creates customized business solutions for partners, through licensing, marketing strategy and player activations. For more information, please visit .

Last edited by kehlis; 12-02-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #42
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Here's the thread with the July release, bolded both of the parts you and I quoted:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...all-games.html

So again, the announcement says 2Ks NFL games will be non-sim. So that’s official that if it has NFL teams/logos it’s non sim.

I don’t see anything saying the NFLPA can’t be used exclusively without the NFL (like in APF) or that the NFLPA is a non sim games only agreement.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #43

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
So again, the announcement says 2Ks NFL games will be non-sim. So that’s official that if it has NFL teams/logos it’s non sim.

I don’t see anything saying the NFLPA can’t be used exclusively without the NFL (like in APF) or that the NFLPA is a non sim games only agreement.

I know you're playing devils advocate but it would be silly for 2K to release statement that says they won't have an NFL simulation game if their ultimate goal is to play semantics with verbiage in the release and come out with a simulation game anyway because it doesn't have NFL branding.

That would be literal suicide on their agreement with the NFL and any hope of securing rights in the future to make an actual NFL simulation game.

And don't forget, EA had to have signed off on the agreement since they had exclusive rights. They aren't going to do that without guarantees that 2k doesn't create any sort of a simulation game that would compete with Madden at all.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #44
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

Allpro football would sell this time

Quote:
I know you're playing devils advocate but it would be silly for 2K to release statement that says they won't have an NFL simulation game if their ultimate goal is to play semantics with verbiage in the release and come out with a simulation game anyway because it doesn't have NFL branding.

That would be literal suicide on their agreement with the NFL and any hope of securing rights in the future to make an actual NFL simulation game.

And don't forget, EA had to have signed off on the agreement since they had exclusive rights. They aren't going to do that without guarantees that 2k doesn't create any sort of a simulation game that would compete with Madden at all.

Yeah I agree, they don’t want to do anything to upset the NFL now, so the NFL would have to be ok with the simulation using the players and not the shield which seems very unlikely.

I’m less concerned about EA having to sign off on it. Clearly they wouldn’t want any football game made with the players or NFL if they could avoid it. Them signing off on it is probably no more than their lawyers agreeing that 2k and the NFL didn’t technically break the exclusive agreement EA has.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #45

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Yeah I agree, they don’t want to do anything to upset the NFL now, so the NFL would have to be ok with the simulation using the players and not the shield which seems very unlikely.
I think you have this backwards a bit. The NFL cares about money, they don't care about video games. I don't think the decision makers in this deal have any idea what the difference between sim and non sim (definition TBD) is at all.

Quote:
I’m less concerned about EA having to sign off on it. Clearly they wouldn’t want any football game made with the players or NFL if they could avoid it. Them signing off on it is probably no more than their lawyers agreeing that 2k and the NFL didn’t technically break the exclusive agreement EA has.
You should probably be more concerned with what EA has to say. They held the exclusive license and had to mutually agree with this deal with 2k.

Lawyers at EA would NOT at all be content with any sort of direct competition to their product.

EA may not be great at making games, but there is one thing they are spectacular at and that's eliminating competition.

We're being naïve if we think EA agreed to allowing the NFL to make this deal with 2k if there was any chance of direct competition.

And just to pre-empt a potential counter point. Once an exclusive deal is agreed to, the controlling party can't just go rogue and invite another party in without the others consent to every part of the agreement. This is NOT a situation where the NFL has the final say at this point. That would be EA until their agreement with the NFL is up.

(Amendment to the above: The controlling party COULD breach their contract I guess, but that litigation wouldn't end favorably for them)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2020, 07:56 PM   #46
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

Quote:
I think you have this backwards a bit. The NFL cares about money, they don't care about video games. I don't think the decision makers in this deal have any idea what the difference between sim and non sim (definition TBD) is at all.

You should probably be more concerned with what EA has to say. They held the exclusive license and had to mutually agree with this deal with 2k.

Lawyers at EA would NOT at all be content with any sort of direct competition to their product.

EA may not be great at making games, but there is one thing they are spectacular at and that's eliminating competition.

We're being naïve if we think EA agreed to allowing the NFL to make this deal with 2k if there was any chance of direct competition.

And just to pre-empt a potential counter point. Once an exclusive deal is agreed to, the controlling party can't just go rogue and invite another party in without the others consent to every part of the agreement. This is NOT a situation where the NFL has the final say at this point. That would be EA until their agreement with the NFL is up.

(Amendment to the above: The controlling party COULD breach their contract I guess, but that litigation wouldn't end favorably for them)

I still have my doubts EA had much to say about this. The most likely game imo is a NFL my park/my city with the Yard type gameplay. It’s the one type that 2k can turn a nice profit,has been good at making and wouldn’t be considered sim.

There’s no way EA would want that game made either tho. It will cut into their MUT players and their own micro transactions. And like you said EA is outstanding at killing competition. I’m sure they would’ve signed off on this game pretty damn grudgingly.

The other explanation would be that 2k is only making a playgrounds and a card game and really will in no way compete with Madden whatsoever but I just don’t see that as profitable enough to be worth the trouble.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:20 PM   #47

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
I still have my doubts EA had much to say about this.
No arguing with that, I'm speculating as much as we all are so that's just the way I see it. Doesn't come close to making it fact.

Quote:
The most likely game imo is a NFL my park/my city with the Yard type gameplay. It’s the one type that 2k can turn a nice profit,has been good at making and wouldn’t be considered sim.

There’s no way EA would want that game made either tho. It will cut into their MUT players and their own micro transactions. And like you said EA is outstanding at killing competition. I’m sure they would’ve signed off on this game pretty damn grudgingly.
Agreed on all counts.

Quote:
The other explanation would be that 2k is only making a playgrounds and a card game and really will in no way compete with Madden whatsoever but I just don’t see that as profitable enough to be worth the trouble.
So, not to open up a very unnecessary can of worms and this is actually way off topic but this paragraph made me think, "Why DID EA agree to this at all?"
Old 12-02-2020, 10:09 PM   #48
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

Quote:
So, not to open up a very unnecessary can of worms and this is actually way off topic but this paragraph made me think, "Why DID EA agree to this at all?"

Yeah it doesn’t make sense. EA wouldn’t agree to that even if the NFL liked it.

On the other hand a 2k APF with the players wouldn’t need EAs approval but I can’t see the NFL do a deal with 2k if this was the plan.

But on 2ks end it has to be profitable to make it worth the time and effort and a couple of simple arcade options don’t seem like they would cut it.

2+2+2= 9 here. I don’t know.

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »