Home

NBA 2k15 Modding Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2k15 Modding Thread within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #65
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: NBA 2k15 Modding Thread

Nope not yet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #66
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Frazier
Basically...if people can update faces and courts and add new modes like NCAA etc and add rookies and uniforms...it means there are less reasons for people to buy the game every year. Sports games rely on people thinking " i want the new rookies" etc etc to purchase annually...but, especially with how powerful the new player creation mode is, modders could effectively keep the game fresh and up to date. Vlad even said he could add new music.

Even if a small percentage of people are content with a modded NBA 2K 15 and don't buy 2K 16, that is a big loss of revenue.

Their are tonnes of moddders....but they all need the toolmakers to work their magic before anyone can even start. Leftos, Jao and Vlad are light years better than anyone else out there for tools and tutorials.

Side note: and yes, I realise games like Skyrim have great modders. The difference is that those games come out once every five years or so and modding adds a tonne to the longevity to the game.

Sports games want you to purchase something EVERY year that is 95% the same as you purchased a year ago. I will be honest and say that I would be happy skipping purchase every odd year if next gen sports titles could be modded and kept up to date.
Well I can't say that doesn't make sense, thanks for the explanation. I believe I can legitimately say uber modded games wouldn't affect my purchasing at all anyways, as I already only buy when a game has made a notable step forward in gameplay or gameplay modes. 2k15 definitely qualified with the improved AI, next gen on PC (and subsequent attention and patches), and MyLeague (though I'm super disappointed about some things I thought they were going to implement and apparently didn't).

Sports game are expensive as they don't really come on sale until late in the cycle, so simply making the game up to date isn't nearly enough for me to justify the purchase yearly if it's still largely the same game. I actually only got 2k14 in the Steam summer sale and was still playing it like crazy up until a couple weeks ago thanks to UBR and March Madness mods, but the changes made in 2k15 sounded too good to pass up. They improved the game and I rewarded them with a bit of an impulse purchase.

Though, I still understand now how modding could cut into revenue, however much I don't like it. To each their own, and plenty of gamers don't mind buying yearly even when gameplay is largely the same.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #67
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
2K's masterplan! Snatching up the tool makers. It's been a good run I guess 2K is afraid that the tools will muck around with their precious VC.

Nail on the head...
Old 11-15-2014, 06:19 AM   #68
Pro

Good luck to the fellas who got jobs out of their work. It is a competitive world and you cannot begrudge any man the chance to earn money and look after his family.

It does seem an obvious tactic though.

The three main tool makers all 'poached'.

Long term, at least it looks like the PC version will be ongoing.

They seem pretty determined though to make sure no one can edit the game. If anyone does crack it open via an editor and can give you new shoes that means no need to spend VC on them.............edit in a new shirt for you = no need to spend VC on it..............etc etc.

While other users are happily paying real money for VC to add things = you can't really sit by and allow a modding community to add things for free.

I guess is the price for the PC version finally catching up with the consoles and the whole online / VC thing.

Last edited by Walt Frazier; 11-15-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #69
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperfan811
Wow this is starting to get into conspiracy theory territory. At least gregkwaste is pretty close to getting a fully working tool out too.

Will be very interesting to see how that develops. If Greg does crack it and people can sidestep VC to edit in shoes etc rather than 'paying' for them via VC, Greg may well find himself getting an email or two from their legal team.

Hopefully not...
Old 11-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #70
Pro

OVR: 12

My conspiracy comment was a joke btw. It's definitely an interesting devlopment so it'll be fun to hear what this is all about. I hope the modding doesn't get so far that it becomes a legal issue (when it comes to hacking the VC system). That's taking it too far, I just want to be able to update game art (courts, faces etc).

Contrary to what I though, I'm actually enjoying the whole earning VC thing this year. It keeps certain aspects of the game rewarding. And since it's not such a crucial aspect of just doing normal things in game like last year, it's just a fun little bonus reward system.

I'd rather have a fully featured game with basic modding than a fully moddable game that has 1/4 of the features of the consoles. That's just how I feel.

So until this all gets sorted out I'll keep playing what we got and I'm pretty content with that.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #71
Pro

I just want modded faces....keep the VC. But modded faces and courts has always been the reason I buy the PC version. Won't buy it this year un,ess there is modding.

A lot of players need modding...I just can't use 2K's D Will.....

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #72
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

I don't mind grinding for VC....one thing I'm used to is grinding for stuff since most online PC games requires you to grind for stuff....

If there's a way for the mod tool to not mess with the VC system and just work with the graphics then it's all good. I just want my accurate arenas....crowd lighting needs to be fixed.....the reflection on the courts....dornas....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »