Home

Sim vs Cheese - Lets debate

This is a discussion on Sim vs Cheese - Lets debate within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Icon6 Sim vs Cheese - Lets debate

What is Sim? A simulation- the act of imitating behavior or some situation; to imitate to reproduce someone's behavior; representation of something like a model; appear to have properties of; duplicate behavior.

What is Cheese? abuse of exploits, mechanics {due to limitations of gaming?}

Really we should consider that not everyone wants a 100% sim game. Some guys just want to see Lebron James dunk all game. Some guys just want to see Kevin Durant shoot threes all game. These plays are always one espn highlights, which make ppl want to replicate the highlights. We should expect this especially online. If 2k made a straight sim game they would appeal to a smaller crowd. Sure everyone likes signatures, but most would say the game boring if it was tuned to the straight sim crowd. We sim crowd understand these plays are special because they are spontaneous events that happen, this makes the game exciting. When watching the game don't we hope to see our favorite players dunk and shoot crazy jumpers? I feel the sim nation with custom rosters, sliders, make the game more exciting because these events happen spontaneously instead of every offensive play.

I feel like 2k appeals to both crowds really. just want to know how u guys feel about sim vs cheese. I don't blame ppl who play "cheese" (hate that term) . Thats fun for them. And some of us aren't as sim as we think. Running plays all game doesn't make you sim. When I play "sim" I want to replicate the excitement, tension, spontaneous, of the NBA. What about you guys?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #2
MVP

I Djm's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Sim vs Cheese - Lets debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5541
What is Sim? A simulation- the act of imitating behavior or some situation; to imitate to reproduce someone's behavior; representation of something like a model; appear to have properties of; duplicate behavior.

What is Cheese? abuse of exploits, mechanics {due to limitations of gaming?}

Really we should consider that not everyone wants a 100% sim game. Some guys just want to see Lebron James dunk all game. Some guys just want to see Kevin Durant shoot threes all game. These plays are always one espn highlights, which make ppl want to replicate the highlights. We should expect this especially online. If 2k made a straight sim game they would appeal to a smaller crowd. Sure everyone likes signatures, but most would say the game boring if it was tuned to the straight sim crowd. We sim crowd understand these plays are special because they are spontaneous events that happen, this makes the game exciting. When watching the game don't we hope to see our favorite players dunk and shoot crazy jumpers? I feel the sim nation with custom rosters, sliders, make the game more exciting because these events happen spontaneously instead of every offensive play.

I feel like 2k appeals to both crowds really. just want to know how u guys feel about sim vs cheese. I don't blame ppl who play "cheese" (hate that term) . Thats fun for them. And some of us aren't as sim as we think. Running plays all game doesn't make you sim. When I play "sim" I want to replicate the excitement, tension, spontaneous, of the NBA. What about you guys?
i think you hit on the head yea we like to see those plays but they don't happen quite often. as far as the cheesing goes i don't want to call it that. if it works why not go to it again, if dwight howard constatly posts up a pg and man handles him its not cheese its smart play.

im not looking for that unrealstic stuff anymore i used to when i was younger
Old 11-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3

Man, im tired of seeing the spin dunk because u can't stop it. SMH
Old 11-28-2011, 02:28 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 2

i think the 2k devs have to create animations to counter spindunk and moves who involve jumps like the hopstep. since i started playing 2k back in 2k6 i noticed that players playing defense dont have animations to counter it...they just rise their invisible hands and nothing happens

++++++++i
Old 11-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5

When I watch NBA games, I don't expect to see Lebron James running around in circles at top speed, then dunking over 4 people. I don't expect to see Derrick Rose get to the rim then pump fake 12 times before dropping in a layup. I don't expect to see a team use a full court press for 48 minutes nor triple team on every defensive play.

NBA 2k12 is supposed to be a simulation game, so in my personal opinion, I don't expect to see these things in the game either, which is why I am a strictly offline player, that way I can customize my game to play similar to that which I see play out in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Plata o Plomo

iLLosophy's Arena

OVR: 26

This is like debating religion. Just find guys who you enjoy playing with.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 13

Very interesting debate, I have a lot to say but too tired too atm lol.

But I will say, running plays all the time isnt sim. And taking all open shots/chances isn't cheese. It's a mix of the two. It all comes down to DEFENCE.

If players in the real NBA were left open every possession from downtown, BELIEVE ME, they WOULD take 50 three pointers a game. They WOULD. The only reason they dont is because the D doesnt allow them easy shots.

And if they could DUNK every possession in real life, you think they wouldnt do it because it isnt SIM? Reality doesnt give a damn about sim. It cares about scoring ANYHOW.

Id love to see in real life a player dunking the ball 2 possessions in a row and then the third time theres a wide open lane and then he just says "ah, thats cheese, I cant take that lane" and then backing out and passing off to set up a play.

The sad reality about the above joke is that some people are really playing like that.

It's a long topic that im only touching the tip of the iceberg of, but still.

Ps. I am not a cheeser and I despise them. I am SIM, but I'm the REAL SIM, not the imaginary sim that some people are (which is THEIR VERSION of what they THINK sim is)
Old 11-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Exciting up paced careless play is one thing. Abuse of exploits is another, 1 is unrealistic, the other is cheeseballing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »