Home

KOTAKU : NBA 2K18 is Riddled With Microtransactions

This is a discussion on KOTAKU : NBA 2K18 is Riddled With Microtransactions within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #41
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: KOTAKU : NBA 2K18 is Riddled With Microtransactions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkybob
Right but the flip-side is people who have multiple real life responsibilities can't sit down and grind like people who can play 50 hours a week. You can argue it's not fair for those people who just plan to be casually competitive to have such a disadvantage compared to others.
My response below about having two competitive online modes, one where players who pay real money joins and the other where players spend absolutely no money to join and use their bare minimum basic character. That way, those that are truly casual and just want to have fun without having to worry about VC infused character can actually enjoiy 2k basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
But wouldn't you argue the same IRL that if you are a casual basketball player who plays once or twice every 3 months would be at a disadvantage if he went to open run and played against dudes who played every day? I remember Fight Night Champion being that way. They had the whole gym concept where you could joint a gym and spar for VC or earn in tournaments...or you could just purchase a boat load of VC and make your boxer a 95 in like 5 minutes. It was very frustrating trying to build my boxer by grinding when some dude could just pay a little dough and boost his. I would always compare it to steroids vs. clean training. I think the concept is good as far as the grind but the waters get muddied when you bring VC into it. Everybody should have to go through the grind...and whatever your attributes are it is what it is. JMO tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I think the bigger picture is that video games are meant to be an outlet from everyday reality.

Truly casual gamer jump online because they're now able to play against Suzy or Fred on the other side of the world when all there was back in the days of no internet competition was inviting Tim down the street or your siblings for friendly competitive match.

Casual gamers are those that don't want to go through the grind. Hardcore gamers are those that will find the time to grind.

What 2k should have is two completely separate online division or communities:
(A) Those that choose to spend VC, tied to your gamer tag, somehow someway to track that real money was spent.
(B) Those that just want to have fun with the bare minimum myplayer that have no interest in spending real money. VC farmed through the standard grinding process.

Group (A) could have their own bragging rights while Group (B) could have their own Wall of Fame. Group A on steroids, and Group B going all natural. Who's got more bragging rights?
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #42
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
My response below about having two competitive online modes, one where players who pay real money joins and the other where players spend absolutely no money to join and use their bare minimum basic character. That way, those that are truly casual and just want to have fun without having to worry about VC infused character can actually enjoiy 2k basketball.

I think the bigger picture is that video games are meant to be an outlet from everyday reality.

Truly casual gamer jump online because they're now able to play against Suzy or Fred on the other side of the world when all there was back in the days of no internet competition was inviting Tim down the street or your siblings for friendly competitive match.

Casual gamers are those that don't want to go through the grind. Hardcore gamers are those that will find the time to grind.

What 2k should have is two completely separate online division or communities:

(A) Those that choose to spend VC, tied to your gamer tag, somehow someway to track that real money was spent.

(B) Those that just want to have fun with the bare minimum myplayer that have no interest in spending real money. VC farmed through the standard grinding process.

Group (A) could have their own bragging rights while Group (B) could have their own Wall of Fame. Group A on steroids, and Group B going all natural. Who's got more bragging rights?

I hear you and agree but the group they cater this Neighborhood mode to look at this game as some form of real life. They really get serious with it. I don't think they will ever separate it though. Don't think they have the time.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #43
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

My take is that no competitive online game should be this reliant on microtransactions and making sure you're not a liability when you first enter the online space. Paying for attributes is just not a good philosophy for a competitive online game, and it probably never will be. It unbalances things in ways that only occur because the paywall exists to begin with.

Charging for tattoos and haircuts and everything else is silly and petty, but it's not abnormal. The attributes aspect is the real problem.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #44
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
My take is that no competitive online game should be this reliant on microtransactions and making sure you're not a liability when you first enter the online space. Paying for attributes is just not a good philosophy for a competitive online game, and it probably never will be. It unbalances things in ways that only occur because the paywall exists to begin with.

Charging for tattoos and haircuts and everything else is silly and petty, but it's not abnormal. The attributes aspect is the real problem.
My take is if people are willing to pay to take a short cut, dont complain about it afterwards. No one is being forced to buy VC, people have to start taking responsibility for their choices.

Last edited by coolcras7; 09-19-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
I hear you and agree but the group they cater this Neighborhood mode to look at this game as some form of real life. They really get serious with it. I don't think they will ever separate it though. Don't think they have the time.

Honestly, neighborhood mode bothers me; it's essentially just a fancy online menu/hub.I don't really want to sit through extra loading times so I can see doodlebop547386 and a bunch of other guys I could care less about interacting with running around.

Don't even get me started on when I go to the training facility and there's a line of people grinding their Quick Reflexes badge at the reaction drill station.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gro23
I just create a player and do player lock in my league for the grind

Sent from my VS987 using Operation Sports mobile app
Hell doing that is way better than the career to me... you get to set your player at reasonable attributes to start out and customize him anyway you want without dropping VC and pretty much ignore the god awful story... it would upset me if I was one of those people that gave a crap about the park but I just legit don't care... now if they could just fix myleague (the trade finder puts in players that you already traded rendering it useless and the generated draft classes are pretty bad) I'll be satisfied... I have like 20k VC from just play now games and myleague games anyway that will probably be useless because mycareer just doesn't look appealing... now if they start making microtransactions for myleague then I'll raise some hell for sure... I'm not gonna get mad at people wasting their money... it's not my money being wasted
Old 09-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #47
MVP

swac07's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
My take is if people are willing to pay to take a short cut, dont complain about it afterwards. No one is being forced to buy VC, people have to start taking responsibility for their choices.

True....to me vc was for those who didnt have patience(or wanted to take the easy route).I haven't bought any yet and im pretty much at 70 overall. The game came out Thursday and I barely get an hour in to play cause of ''life''.So I guess everyone's experience is different and rightfully so.

I also learned that just because someone comes out of the gate a 85 doesn't mean they're good. I was at 66(the rest of my team were 60s as well) and smashed a team that consisted of a 85,82, and 77 heck whats funny im not even a park guy
Old 09-19-2017, 11:09 PM   #48
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by swac07
True....to me vc was for those who didnt have patience(or wanted to take the easy route).I haven't bought any yet and im pretty much at 70 overall. The game came out Thursday and I barely get an hour in to play cause of ''life''.So I guess everyone's experience is different and rightfully so.

I also learned that just because someone comes out of the gate a 85 doesn't mean they're good. I was at 66(the rest of my team were 60s as well) and smashed a team that consisted of a 85,82, and 77 heck whats funny im not even a park guy
The first few hours after the game was released there were tons of 85 ranked players, if people wanted to take a stand they had the chance and they failed to do so. 2K wants people to play the other modes that is why they give you free VC when you do, they spend alot of time and effort just for the majority of people to just play one mode, if 2k really wanted to screw people they could make 2 seperate games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »