Home

KOTAKU : NBA 2K18 is Riddled With Microtransactions

This is a discussion on KOTAKU : NBA 2K18 is Riddled With Microtransactions within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: KOTAKU : NBA 2K18 is Riddled With Microtransactions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
Speaking as an RPG gamer since Chrono Trigger:

Is the gold bought with real-world money?
You've been able to buy gold in World of Warcraft (the largest RPG userbase) for 4-5 years now.

Of course, players can also sell gold for game-time. Hmm, allowing players to sell VC for real $ sounds interesting - add it to the auction house UI somehow.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #18
MVP

infam0us's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617
You've been able to buy gold in World of Warcraft (the largest RPG userbase) for 4-5 years now.

Of course, players can also sell gold for game-time. Hmm, allowing players to sell VC for real $ sounds interesting - add it to the auction house UI somehow.
Not fair to compare 2k to WoW when with WoW its not a new game every year. If my 80k VC from 2k17 carried over to 2k18 I'd be happy as heck but every year we gotta start from the bottom and grind but this year they've taken it too far with how much you get and how much everything cost.

Last edited by infam0us; 09-19-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
Not a fair to compare 2k to WoW when with WoW its not a new game every year. If my 80k VC from 2k17 carried over to 2k18 I'd be happy as heck but every year we gotta start from the bottom and grind but this year they've taken it too far with how much you get and how much everything cost.
Also they should do like every other MMO, if thats what they want to be compared to: Where they have zones/maps (In 2K's case Playgrounds) for cetain levels. If 85+ overall players could only play against each other and not the 60-70 overall players that would make it sort of tolerable
Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
Not fair to compare 2k to WoW when with WoW its not a new game every year. If my 80k VC from 2k17 carried over to 2k18 I'd be happy as heck but every year we gotta start from the bottom and grind but this year they've taken it too far with how much you get and how much everything cost.
That's a good point..
Old 09-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #21
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617

World of Warcraft is 13 years old and doesn't start over every year. And last I played it (10+ years ago) you could send gold between your characters or other players could send you gold and items.

Edit: Looks like infam0us kind of covered this already...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

You can actually play the game just fine without spending any money at all. For those who are mad about all the transactions I suggest just playing the game without them. Solution seems simple enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #23
Pro

sudanmalkovich's Arena

and even the game is full of bugs
Old 09-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Understandable BUT if I create myplayer to look like me why are hair and beards locked behind a paywall? I paid full price for this game and I expect something like hair and facial hair to be readily available when I create my player.

Name a current rpg game that locks parts of the create a character feature behind a paywall? This is straight up shady.

I don't mind grinding...i really don't but **** like this needs to be called out. If they don't get called out on this then they will lock face sculpting behind a paywall next year. This is how ridiculous the microtransactions are handled in this game.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
GTA 5... Who have made billions from their micro transactions but their content is worth it to some people.

But it seems 2K tried to copy their style and failed miserably

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »