Home

KOTAKU : NBA 2K18 is Riddled With Microtransactions

This is a discussion on KOTAKU : NBA 2K18 is Riddled With Microtransactions within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #73
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: KOTAKU : NBA 2K18 is Riddled With Microtransactions

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
I am sure if 2k took out VC as an option to upgrade your player today and told everyone you start at 50 and grind your way to 99, people would cry bloody murder, how they don't have time because of their wife, kids job, etc... sure you can argue that you should get at least one free hair cut at the start of the game with more option but everything else i don't agree should be free especially since VC can be earned other than paying for it.
I agree. Someone like me really don't have time to grind like that. I usually don't start spending my earned VC from PNO until almost January.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #74
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I agree. Someone like me really don't have time to grind like that. I usually don't start spending my earned VC from PNO until almost January.
Same here, i play quick game learn the controls then I start my player, by that time i have enough earned VC plus the 5000 they give you for preordering which people tend to forget about.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #75
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeafClover
A good start, although the article wasn't the best written in the world.

Would be great if IGN covered it but wouldn't surprise me if they are in 2K's pocket, the world of gaming journalism is shady enough in itself.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Operation Sports mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
IGN covered it in their review, actually.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah whoever wrote that review, what a guy. He's got to be the coolest dude around.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #76
MVP

ph33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Yeah whoever wrote that review, what a guy. He's got to be the coolest dude around.
Thank you Chase, you are a legend
Old 09-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #77
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
Thank you Chase, you are a legend
Yes, stroke that ego, caress it.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #78
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Just sayin..

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

-Allen Iverson
Old 09-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin32
I still don't understand this VC complaint. I just don't get it. U don't need to pay for it at all. It does not affect me one bit. It's like people see others that paid for VC and are mad about it. If u plan on playing 2K a lot u will accumulate so much free VC u won't be able to spend it all. The game ain't even been out a week yet wtf. Hell just play everything offline if VC bother u so much lol
Problem is..and I don't even play in park/my team.. you're grinding it..like a true SIM and gamer. ..and they let someone bypass all of that by paying what $40?

It completely ruins the game for people online...people grinding...how are they supposed to compete with someone who's an 80/85 day 1..because he BOUGHT a player???

Throw the people who didn't earn it..into a different area of the park/online name the park "VC purchased,this really isn't my rating"

Not only is it bad for the grinders. .but these people who BUY their guy. .truly can't play that we'll and in about 7 days ..when the true grinders get up to about 80.. these guys will be exposed as frauds. ..

Basically teaching people to cheat your way..what happens when they actually have to play a grinder who EARNED it? And get destroyed.. do what go buy more VC?..

I don't even play online. .but I can see anyone who plays online being livid with this..yes it doesn't affect me..but OS forums are a whole community. .not just about ME..so I care about every gamer...

Why not just release the cheat engine...like the P.C version they haven't fixed in AGES... you pay nothing..but you earn nothing... (gameplay wise).

Sorry for the rant fellas.. hope some of you feel this one!!!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-20-2017, 01:48 PM   #80
Rookie

TotesMaGotes's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
I am sure if 2k took out VC as an option to upgrade your player today and told everyone you start at 50 and grind your way to 99, people would cry bloody murder, how they don't have time because of their wife, kids job, etc... sure you can argue that you should get at least one free hair cut at the start of the game with more option but everything else i don't agree should be immediate available especially since VC can be earned throughout the game without having to paying for it.
But on the same side of this, those people who are 50s and stay 50s compete against each other instead of a 60 having to compete against an 85 on day one. In my experience you can compete without buying VC but it is almost impossible to win (in the ProAM at least.) My team is 5-11 so far, we have two mid 60s, two low 70s and an 80. We have yet to play a team with more than one 60, and less than 3/5 of the team 80+. Seven of our eleven losses have come by three or less points. The difference being things like dropped ball from low handling rating, opponent getting BS rebound because of high rebound rating, or way off line pass because of low rating. We may also suck, but you know I am strictly going to blame it mostly on low OVRs.

VC can be earned but when a headband costs 1000 vc, and most of us paid 1000-2000 for a haircut over the weekend, or just the fact that if you try to upgrade your player beyond 4 attribute slots it starts costing 1000+ VC when you're only earning a couple hundred VC max in an NBA game and about 150 VC for a ProAm loss (on the flip side about 600 VC for a ProAM win). Earning vs. Cost is way skewed this year compared to many others when it comes to VC. It costs roughly 200,000 VC this year to upgrade your MyPlayer to an 85. Max shoe deal I have seen from the start is about 150 VC, so that means average NBA VC output is at a generous 400 vc. Doing the math that would equal 500 games played to reach an 85. Some may get more, some may get less, I'd just say 400 VC is a generous average. If you want to get your player shoes or accessories or even a hair cut with a hair color it'll take more than that.

Simple fix would be as many people have said in the past, better matchmaking. Heck, even program it as something that is chosen when searching for a match. Choose similar teams in team OVR, choose teams with higher OVR, or choose teams with lower OVR. You play a similar team you get a moderate amount of VC, play higher ranked team and you get 2X amount of VC, and if you choose to play a lower ranked team you get no VC (possibly even your team has to pay VC to play lower rated team and if you win you get VC back, if you lose the VC is gone or goes to your matchup on other team? An idea...) to really even out who plays who. If my team's average MyPlayer rating is 70 we shouldn't have to play teams whose average rating is 85+ as our only option.

Last edited by TotesMaGotes; 09-20-2017 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Correction

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »