Home

"Bad" Animations in 2k15

This is a discussion on "Bad" Animations in 2k15 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
"Bad" Animations in 2k15

Since it is talked about so often,I thought it would be interesting to try and list the "bad" animations in 2k15 and what makes them that way.

Now,what makes a "bad" animation? To me, we can put aside the ball and players morphing through each other during animations for now, as that is symptomatic of other issues with the game engine and concentrate of those particular animations which are either so over the top, takes control away from the player in a negative way, or otherwise negatively impacts the game play experience(and thus really should probably go away).

The ones that come to mind for me:

-The skipping animation when bringing the ball up court :really it is fine in the backcourt when playing at a slow tempo, need to go away once you cross the line though.

-The side step shuffle on defense: Player moves a little too slow, and seems to make you magnetize to opponents somewhat, making defending drives aggravating...this type of movement should best left to moving while down the intense-d modifier.

-The bounce and stumble off the defender when they cut off: seems unrealistic unless it is something like a PG trying to run over a C, would rather it went into a ride animation, allowing both players a chance to do a move/counter move kind of deal.

-The alley oop swat: It always looks like the guy is attaining Dwight Howard levels of vertical reach, making it very unrealistic when un-athletic players do it.

- The intentional chest first into the defender and chuck the ball up to draw a foul: as obvious as it is in this game, i don't think it is called as much anymore.

- The entire rim hang animation playing out even though your dunk was blocked: kind of overkill, and makes rim hang dunks undesirable by potentially allowing fast breaks, would be fine if the hang animation was shortened if you miss or get blocked.

-Heaving the ball across the court when a dunker can't make it to the rim: I have seen it happen, happens a little too often on 2k15 though, and in some situations where the ball should probably travel differently.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2015, 11:20 PM   #2
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

Re: "Bad" Animations in 2k15

And I have NEVER seen an alley-oop swatted like that all the years I have been playing and watching basketball, not once.

Last edited by Shady Mike; 05-17-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:28 AM   #3
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

I hate when I see an open man and try to pass the ball to him but get stuck in a ridiculously long and drawn out animation and my player still decides to pass the ball after the animation is done and the player is no longer open.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
I hate when I see an open man and try to pass the ball to him but get stuck in a ridiculously long and drawn out animation and my player still decides to pass the ball after the animation is done and the player is no longer open.
Amen!!!

The worse animation is when big men underneath the basket gets a rebound with no one between him and the basket:
  • the player barely gets the ball to the rim or
  • the player puts the ball off-center of the rim

I suspect the reason why is a player's woefully (and unrealistic) low rating or grade of:
  • Standing shot close
  • Standing layup
  • Standing dunk
  • Inside scoring
Hence big men look so awkward in put-backs and underneath-the-basket shot attempts.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike

And I have NEVER seen an alley-oop swatted like that all the years I have been playing and watching basketball, not once.
Yeah, the bulldoze right through people to the hoop belongs on the list; if it height/weight mattered more so that it is something you might only see every once in a great a while out of someone like Shaq or Dwight Howard if they had the ball on a dead run and a much smaller guy tried to get in the way it might be tolerable.....right now it is just too prevalent.

@Hustle Westbrook : Yep,that one is bad as well as that pass interception animation where the guy you are passing to intentionally cuts behind the defender so they can catch the ball.

@SirDAB : I know what you mean; I think thats partly the big man layup animations being ugly and partly the game making standing dunks unreasonably difficult...you literally have to wait 1 or 2 seconds until the player sort of "auto faces" the hoop to press the buttons or else you get a wierd layup, the cpu always tries to go back up as fast as possible hence it almost always gets the ugly big man layup animation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
Banned

WISports's Arena

I sometimes wanna se a big man get an offensive board under the basket and not bring the ball back down by his waist before going back up. I wanna see some put the ball back up at the peak where the player grabs it.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #7
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

How about this one...if I didn't push the button to throw a bounce pass...DON'T THROW A FREAKING BOUNCE PASS.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

Oh and I can't forget about that terrible floater animation where your player leans back on one leg like he's Dirk.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »