Home

The Real Problem with "Got Next"

This is a discussion on The Real Problem with "Got Next" within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The Real Problem with "Got Next"

I think it'd be great if 2k implemented an accelerated clock as well similar to EA games. That could also reduce times. Hopefully the wait won't be too bad. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #34
Rookie

Pokes, like I've said before, if that's there reasoning, it's still is a bad decision. Make everyone wait 30+ mins, again, 30+ minutes and possibly additional games just because people quit?

Come up with something different but not that. I can think of better things just off the top of my head, I believe. Make them lose VC points for quitting or something. Almost anything is better than making people wait almost an hour for a game.

I would much rather deal with quitters than wait times. If they quit, just give us the option to continue playing or move on to the next team. So what someone quits? It's going to happen regardless.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #35
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkfootball06
Okay, I see where you're coming from. I totally agree with everything you just said. And you're absolutely right, having to wait 30-40 min to play a game is not an optimal solution in any case whatsoever. So, here's another solution.

In Halo 3, if somebody were to quit (was a big problem) they would be penalized with time. They wouldn't be able to go into a match for 5-10 min. Now what if 2K introduced something along those lines for quitters, maybe 15min?
The only downside of that kind of penalty is sometimes you get kicked for whatever reason. It would kind of suck to be treated as a "quitter" by the game and bar you from jumping back on with your friends for 15 mins when you didn't do anything. They'd need a way of detecting whether it was an intentional quit (including people who manually turn off their Internet to trigger a kick and avoid penalties), or an accidental kick. As long as there's a work-around for people to quit a game and get in a new one quickly, people will find a way to utilize. Meanwhile, the rest of us get stuck playing the CPU, and no one gets online so they can go head-to-head with the CPU. We have offline for that.

I think a timer-penalty system could work if done right. But I also think "Got Next" is a good solution to combat quitting IF 2K can find something fun/interesting for us to do between games. It's clear that watching others play isn't a viable solution.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #36
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung28
Pokes, like I've said before, if that's there reasoning, it's still is a bad decision. Make everyone wait 30+ mins, again, 30+ minutes and possibly additional games just because people quit?

Come up with something different but not that. I can think of better things just off the top of my head, I believe. Make them lose VC points for quitting or something. Almost anything is better than making people wait almost an hour for a game.

I would much rather deal with quitters than wait times. If they quit, just give us the option to continue playing or move on to the next team. So what someone quits? It's going to happen regardless.
"Moving on to the next team" is a solution for 1v1, but not for Team Up/Park where you have multiple users on each team. If someone quits, it isn't really fair to kick the other 4 users when they didn't have anything to do with it. The only option is have the CPU take over. But as I've said, rampant quitting, and getting stuck playing the CPU is already a problem in Team Up. It's one of the reasons a number of people don't enjoy that mode. You can't have this in the Park. Bottom line, you need people to stay once they get into a game to make the mode more enjoyable for everyone. There isn't any better way of doing this than making people put in a little work to get into a game in the first place. As far as taking VC, that could be effective. But again, unless they have a way of detecting whether a quit was intentional or accidental, it wouldn't be much fun to lose VC because the server was acting up. That could do as much damage to online play as waiting for a game.

Again, I'm not trying to say that this is a perfect system ... or even that it's really a good one. I think it's effective, I'll say that. But again, whether the up-side outweighs the bad is up to the individual and it's clear that the "Got Next" system ends up on the negative side for a lot of people. I like that it seems to stop people from quitting, so I'm OK with the system (although we'll see what waiting for a Jordan Rec Center game is like), but would certainly like to see something added to make the time waiting between games entertaining.

Last edited by Pokes404; 10-02-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #37
Rookie

well for us pc players we can play a whole other game while we wait so this isnt a problem for us

Check out my gaming pages (basically rec highlights)

https://www.tiktok.com/@ghostdenidag...Iqia5BLDy&_r=1

https://youtube.com/@Ghostdenidagawd

6'9 3-level scorer 2k23
Old 10-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #38
Rookie

The Real Problem with "Got Next"

Spoiler

Well, it's similar to 2K11 Crew in that aspect. Just whoever quits, their player will come a Cpu. What's so bad about that? I don't recall many people at all complaining about this. If you ever played the original crew, you'll know majority of people were friends and most people didn't quit because they were with their guys. But if they did, mostly all of them would back out at once. And I believe most likely people will be playing with their friends.

Nobody should have to wait anymore than 5 mins to start playing the mode they'd like to play. What other game makes you wait even 10 mins to get in a game intentionally? And I thought about that server and VC issue, but I feel that's better than making people wait an half and hour to get into a game. That's so ridiculous it's laughable.

I believe it will be sort of effective. I don't think it'll be as effective as you think it will. People will get blew out and get mad or whatever and quit regardless. They know they'll have to wait again anyways since they are about to lose so why not get a head start on it? And I am specially talking about the Jordan Rec Center which is 5 mins quarter. I won't play the Park at all. I honestly don't believe they implemented this to stop quitting to be 100% honest.

Last edited by JYoung28; 10-02-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #39
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

The rec center is tied to the park you're in, right?
So the 80 people [at max] are split between the two.
If there's 4 5v5's at the rec center that's half the lobby...statistically speaking I don't see waiting times being bad this year.

Hopefully courts don't glitch and I'll be real excited to get into this mode.

-Allen Iverson
Old 10-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #40
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
The rec center is tied to the park you're in, right?
So the 80 people [at max] are split between the two.
If there's 4 5v5's at the rec center that's half the lobby...statistically speaking I don't see waiting times being bad this year.

Hopefully courts don't glitch and I'll be real excited to get into this mode.
No. The rec center is not tied to the park you're in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »