Home

The Real Problem with "Got Next"

This is a discussion on The Real Problem with "Got Next" within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #25
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: The Real Problem with "Got Next"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkfootball06
They've fixed this with "Rep." You play the game to win and gain yourself rep, which in turns gives you bonuses. If you leave, you get negative rep. With this concept, getting into games quicker wouldn't influence somebody to quit more.
Team Up mode used to have an icon next to your name signaling your "rep." (Prospect, Rookie, Pro, All-Star, Super-Star, Hall-of-Fame). Even if you lost, you'd still get a boost to your "rep." If you quit, you'd take a pretty significant hit.

People would still quit in the 1st quarter if things weren't going their way and just take the hit. Those kinds of rep systems can help curve quitting a bit, but not the way having to put in a little work/waiting time in order to get into a game can. As long as someone knows they can immediately get into another game, they'll be a lot more likely to head for greener pastures when a game isn't going their way, and taking a hit to some number next to their name won't be much of a deterrent.

Again though, they really need to have something for us to do while we're waiting. A game of 21 against your teammates would be pretty cool. Which could be turned into a free shootaround if everyone agrees to just not play defense on each other.

Last edited by Pokes404; 10-02-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #26
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Team Up mode used to have an icon next to your name signaling your "rep." (Prospect, Rookie, Pro, All-Star, Super-Star, Hall-of-Fame). Even if you lost, you'd still get a boost to your "rep." If you quit, you'd take a pretty significant hit.

People would still quit in the 1st quarter if things weren't going their way and just take the hit. Those kinds of rep systems can help curve quitting a bit, but not the way having to put in a little work/waiting time in order to get into a game can. As long as someone knows they can immediately get into another game, they'll be a lot more likely to head for greener pastures when a game isn't going their way, and taking a hit to some number next to their name won't be much of a deterrent.

Again though, they really need to have something for us to do while we're waiting. A game of 21 against your teammates would be pretty cool. Which could be turned into a free shootaround if everyone agrees to just not play defense on each other.
Easy fix.

Win: +4 rep
Lose: -2 rep
Disconnect: -5 rep

So quitting will essentially mean you have to win an entire game just to get back to where you were, but even then you are -1 rep back.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 0

I heard that only one player needs to get on a circle and all the rest of the team automatically get placed in the circles instead of everyone running around trying fit in the circles.

Well everyone seems to always want spectator mode in sports game, well here you are lol, Got Next gives you more of an incentive to not quit and to ball hard so your squad can win and stay on the court!

Last edited by Mr.Smif; 10-02-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #28
Fino Alla Fine

KingTocco's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Easy fix.

So quitting will essentially mean you have to win an entire game just to get back to where you were, but even then you are -1 rep back.

That's not really a fix though because what if there is a problem with the server or internet connection? Then you penalize people where it's not warranted. I like where your head is at though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lakers
Juventus

PSN: KingTocco
Old 10-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #29
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyForBuckets
That's not really a fix though because what if there is a problem with the server or internet connection? Then you penalize people where it's not warranted. I like where your head is at though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The same thing could be said about ranked matches. If your internet goes out you still get a loss, and in EA Games you get a DNF score. Nobody has complained that they shouldn't receive a loss if their internet went out. I don't see why the same thing shouldn't be implemented in the Park.

Last edited by Jhawkfootball06; 10-02-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #30
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaateloauto
The problem is that 2K puts in a lot of effort to make some sort of nebulous Second Life / Playstation Home / Football Superstars hub where you can't do anything in order to force us to wait a long damn time between games. We get it, such next gen. Except that concept was already better executed in Football Superstars where you didn't have to wait for other players to finish their games before you got to play. That game came out in 2008 and was free-to-play.

When I play FIFA Pro Clubs I don't even have to press a button after I finish a game, it automatically finds us another and you can play for hours without having to wait at all. Crew is in the last-gen version of 2K15. Why do we have to go through all this difficulty to simply play?
Pokes404 hit the way I see it right on the head, some of the best pick up games at the rec I have ever played in real life have come when the gym was packed with tons of teams having next. Knowing if you get beat, it's going to be hard to get back on the court is a big incentive to play hard and as a team, imo.

Again, that concept sucks for those that don't have the time or patience to wait and I'm not trying to talk them into liking or embracing the idea. I'm just saying, I can see how a concept like this can potentially raise the quality of online play in the virtual rec. Hopefully there are other ways/modes in the game for people to get a quick game in with friends because the more options the better, yet I'm excited that there is seemingly a sim online mode option structured strictly for "serious" play.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #31
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Easy fix.

I think you're missing my point. I'm not arguing that the penalty wasn't big enough ... I'm saying that a number of people don't care enough about their "rep" to keep them in a game where they are losing, not getting enough shots, etc. Their "rep" rating simply doesn't mean that much to them. They just want to play in a game. The problem is that when you have people who will quit when they're losing, it spoils the mode for others when they know there's a decent chance that they'll end up having to play against the CPU in any given game.

I love Team Up, but this is one of the big drawbacks of the mode. If people don't get the team/player they want, or get down a few points, they quit because they know a new game is just a button press away. Now, this is amplified right now by the fact that there's hardly any penalty for doing this in 2K14. But even back in 2K12 & 2K13 when there was a penalty, it still didn't do much to deter people from this practice.

Even if "rep" does help curve quitting, I don't see any way it would curve it to the degree that the "Got Next" system does with the simple fact that you're not guaranteed to be able to jump right back into a game. You're better off playing through adversity and trying to get the win so you can stay. Which means less having to play with/against the CPU, which makes the mode more fun for others.

I'm really not trying to argue that "Got Next" is perfect. They obviously need to make some changes because having to wait 10-15 mins (or 30-40 mins in the Jordan Rec Center's case) with nothing to do but watch a game you don't care about is a fairly significant problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #32
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I think you're missing my point. I'm not arguing that the penalty wasn't big enough ... I'm saying that a number of people don't care enough about their "rep" to keep them in a game where they are losing, not getting enough shots, etc. Their "rep" rating simply doesn't mean that much to them. They just want to play in a game. The problem is that when you have people who will quit when they're losing, it spoils the mode for others when they know there's a decent chance that they'll end up having to play against the CPU in any given game.

I love Team Up, but this is one of the big drawbacks of the mode. If people don't get the team/player they want, or get down a few points, they quit because they know a new game is just a button press away. Now, this is amplified right now by the fact that there's hardly any penalty for doing this in 2K14. But even back in 2K12 & 2K13 when there was a penalty, it still didn't do much to deter people from this practice.

Even if "rep" does help curve quitting, I don't see any way it would curve it to the degree that the "Got Next" system does with the simple fact that you're not guaranteed to be able to jump right back into a game. You're better off playing through adversity and trying to get the win so you can stay. Which means less having to play with/against the CPU, which makes the mode more fun for others.

I'm really not trying to argue that "Got Next" is perfect. They obviously need to make some changes because having to wait 10-15 mins (or 30-40 mins in the Jordan Rec Center's case) with nothing to do but watch a game you don't care about is a fairly significant problem.
Okay, I see where you're coming from. I totally agree with everything you just said. And you're absolutely right, having to wait 30-40 min to play a game is not an optimal solution in any case whatsoever. So, here's another solution.

In Halo 3, if somebody were to quit (was a big problem) they would be penalized with time. They wouldn't be able to go into a match for 5-10 min. Now what if 2K introduced something along those lines for quitters, maybe 15min?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »