Home

Speed Without Ball Description 2K19

This is a discussion on Speed Without Ball Description 2K19 within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Speed Without Ball Description Is Wrong In 2K19

I'm out outta here ya'll...see ya in 2K20. It's been real and hope you guys enjoy!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #42
Rookie

wizfan2's Arena

OVR: 3

Just curious, I use the "High" camera would this make any difference?

"A wise man never knows all, only a fool knows everything"

"If you were making a list of people you trusted, would you put your name down"
-NF "Only"
Old 08-19-2019, 11:59 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 3

A very good write-up: Good explanation, good ideas!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...YAWfgPc7c/edit
Old 08-27-2019, 01:42 AM   #44
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread, but the description is not wrong. It says max rating and min rating which is exactly what it acts like. It's what we software engineers call a clamp.

So, say you set the max setting slider for Speed to 75. That means that any player with a Speed rating above 75 will all act as though their rating is 75. Same on the other side, if the min setting is set to 30, then all players at 30 or below for Speed will act as though their speed is set to 30.

I tested this out exhaustively in 2k18 and 2k19, running three quarter sprints with turbo in practice trying out different slider settings until finding a decent set. It turns out setting the min speed to around 60, and the max all the way up to 100 was the closest choice, and it actually fixed a lot of pacing and fastbreaking issues I was seeing in CPU-CPU matchups. Of course, it meant that all the slower centers in the league were running at the same speed, but that was a fair trade-off for seeing more realistic quicker player movement. There's no way to make the speed more perfect until they finally add a proper Speed With Ball slider just like they have for Speed, but this adjustment certainly helps.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Old 08-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #45
Pro

KwiLL23's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMage
I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread, but the description is not wrong. It says max rating and min rating which is exactly what it acts like. It's what we software engineers call a clamp.

So, say you set the max setting slider for Speed to 75. That means that any player with a Speed rating above 75 will all act as though their rating is 75. Same on the other side, if the min setting is set to 30, then all players at 30 or below for Speed will act as though their speed is set to 30.

I tested this out exhaustively in 2k18 and 2k19, running three quarter sprints with turbo in practice trying out different slider settings until finding a decent set. It turns out setting the min speed to around 60, and the max all the way up to 100 was the closest choice, and it actually fixed a lot of pacing and fastbreaking issues I was seeing in CPU-CPU matchups. Of course, it meant that all the slower centers in the league were running at the same speed, but that was a fair trade-off for seeing more realistic quicker player movement. There's no way to make the speed more perfect until they finally add a proper Speed With Ball slider just like they have for Speed, but this adjustment certainly helps.
What slider set are you using for the whole set up?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #46
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMage
I know your background with 2K and trust that you have put in countless hours of testing, but this statement cannot be made without factoring in Game Speed. The relationships between Game Speed, Player Speed/Acceleration, Player Movement Min/Max, and Pass Speed are the most important things in 2K19. We're all looking for slightly different outcomes here, but the Min/Max sliders do not determine anything on their own. That's the biggest takeaway from this thread IMO.

We'll see what 2K20 has in store since they overhauled the player movement. It looks like there's no Speed With Ball rating and that may mean there's no Min/Max sliders for player movement. We also have new dribbling profiles so it's going to take a lot of testing to change from defaults.

I'm 100% sold on reducing the attribute sliders for Speed/Acceleration while increasing the Max sliders for w/Ball and w/o Ball. The separation of fast/slow players plays out a lot more like the 2K20 demo (even better IMO) and it reduces the sliding/warping around the court that happens on most 2K19 settings. There's no guarantee that works in 2K20 but I plan on testing it out after the game releases.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #47
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I know your background with 2K and trust that you have put in countless hours of testing, but this statement cannot be made without factoring in Game Speed. The relationships between Game Speed, Player Speed/Acceleration, Player Movement Min/Max, and Pass Speed are the most important things in 2K19. We're all looking for slightly different outcomes here, but the Min/Max sliders do not determine anything on their own. That's the biggest takeaway from this thread IMO.
All Game Speed does is speed up or slow down the internal clock that affects everything, not just individual player speed. So, for instance, it affects the speed of the animation for the crowd (and everything else), and also the speed of the game clock and shot clock. The default value of 50 lets the game proceed at 1:1 with real-time. Personally, I wouldn't touch it from the default unless you really knew what you were doing, with the understanding that any change could end up magnifying any issues with animations such as skating, popping, or floating. It could also be used as another form of difficulty slider, as turning it up or down also would affect the speed at which the AI makes decisions as well as allow a longer or shorter window of time to react to split-second on-court situations. For example, if you're having trouble defending against the AI one-on-one, turning down the Game Speed would be one way of helping even the playing field until your own skills at reading and reacting improve.

One thing I like to do when testing CPU-CPU is turn the Game Speed all the way up so a 48 minute game can go by a little faster with faster possessions but I can still track what's going on. On a similar but unrelated note, running Simcast Live in a MyLeague with the 6X multiplier is great for doing stat testing of the CPU-CPU engine gameplay, a 48 minute game finishes in about 15 or 20 minutes, and even faster if you manually skip through the timeouts.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here

Last edited by SonicMage; 08-28-2019 at 06:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »