Home

What is the most realistic pitching interface?

This is a discussion on What is the most realistic pitching interface? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #9
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: What is the most realistic pitching interface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
So directional is based on the rating of the hitter and zone is based on the person playing as the hitter am i understanding that

Zone uses ratings of players in the game as well.

Directional also uses input from user playing in regards to timing.

No mechanic of hitting nor pitching is strictly 100% user input nor 100% rating based

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-12-2021, 09:24 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
So directional is based on the rating of the hitter and zone is based on the person playing as the hitter am i understanding that
Like country said, zone still uses player ratings to change the size of the inner and outer sides of the PCI's and to determine exit velocities and what not. The user has more input with zone because they control exactly where the PCI is and in theory could be good enough with the mechanic to never swing and miss.

Directional relies on the user's ability to time a pitch up and to swing at hittable pitches. The game uses the ratings of the hitter to determine if they'll make contact even with good timing, what quality if contact, and the exit velocity of the ball.

Every mechanic in the game uses the ratings still, to some degree, Classic Pitching and Ditectional Hitting are just the two interfaces that are more driven by ratings while Zone and Pinpoint are most driven by user input, but they do still use ratings.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 06-13-2021, 03:01 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I'm curious to see what people think. In my franchise I've been using meter pitching. I feel like it's too easy, even on HOF and Legend. I have hardly given up any walks with even the worst pitchers on my team (Indians)

I can't do the pinpoint pitching. I just can't do it, so I guess not including that, what is the most realistic?

I changed to classic for a couple games, but noticed even Shane Bieber had trouble hitting his spots.

So yeah, what do you guys think?

I know this has been talked about before, but the game changes, so wanted to get the info for 21 in particular.
CLASSIC for sure.

You use Shane Bieber as an example, saying using Classic, even he had trouble hitting his spots.

EVERY pitcher (well, except for maybe Greg Maddux) has games where they have trouble hitting their spots. Even Bieber, Kershaw, Bauer, Verlander, and all the other top pitchers.

What you will notice with classic (at least I have) is that While your top tier starters will still occasionally have games (or even just innings) where they aren't hitting their spots, they will overall be pretty consistent.

But, your 3rd, 4th, and especially 5th starters will have more games where they don't have their "good stuff" And you have to adjust to it. But they will occasionally have games where they are "lights out"

It brings more variance, more "randomness" to the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2021, 06:32 AM   #12
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I'm a meter & directional guy myself but I think playing on the ''right'' difficulty level and sliders to match ones own personal skill set are far more important in achieving realistic results. so much so that doing that will make whatever interface you choose a moo point
A cow's opinion?

Sent from my thoughts
Old 06-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar0725
A cow's opinion?
yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. it's moo

also, like I said earlier, FWIW, I'm a meter guy, until I get to my designated closer.
then I like to shake things up and move out of my comfort zone by switching to pulse
which I always assumed it was more like meter than analog, just a variant on a theme

A Work in Progress
Old 06-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #14
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

PV, join us in using Classic. Ratings-based and it's the way I've pitched in The Show for over a decade.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 06-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #15
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktd1976
CLASSIC for sure.

You use Shane Bieber as an example, saying using Classic, even he had trouble hitting his spots.

EVERY pitcher (well, except for maybe Greg Maddux) has games where they have trouble hitting their spots. Even Bieber, Kershaw, Bauer, Verlander, and all the other top pitchers.

What you will notice with classic (at least I have) is that While your top tier starters will still occasionally have games (or even just innings) where they aren't hitting their spots, they will overall be pretty consistent.

But, your 3rd, 4th, and especially 5th starters will have more games where they don't have their "good stuff" And you have to adjust to it. But they will occasionally have games where they are "lights out"

It brings more variance, more "randomness" to the game.
Yeah, I know even the best don't always hit their spots, but he wasn't even close to where I was trying to hit. But it was my fault because I was using the max effort for every pitch. Now it's much better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2021, 07:33 PM   #16
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
PV, join us in using Classic. Ratings-based and it's the way I've pitched in The Show for over a decade.
Classic all the way now. Feels much more realistic. Have it on Hall of Fame.

I'm experimenting with directional hitting, but I'm not sure if I like it or not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »