Home

What is the most realistic pitching interface?

This is a discussion on What is the most realistic pitching interface? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-19-2022, 04:18 PM   #49
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: What is the most realistic pitching interface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
FWIW, I feel like the CPU does a better job of punishing my mistakes with the user-driven interfaces on Competitive game style versus Simulation. Might be something to try. It doesn't really change gameplay much (unless you use the other options that are on the Competitive default) - the main thing it does is makes the interfaces more difficult to be perfect with.

I'm not sold on Pinpoint being my interface of choice yet this year, but I do enjoy it. I feel like even that interface can be realistic given the right difficulty setting, because it is hard to perfect a large number of my pitches (on Competitive, at least - like I said, there's less margin for error than on Sim) and that means the ball can go just about anywhere if I miss on just one of those three parts of the interface. It's also still very tied to the pitcher's ability - for example high K/9 pitchers will get batters to swing and miss easier than low K/9 hurlers do as long as you're working off of the plate when the pitcher is ahead in the count.
I used Pinpoint last year and started it this year. Even on Legend+, I think it's way too easy to pitch with it on default. Even with control at 0 and me making an effort to pitch out of the zone to get chases, I still walked less than 2 batters per game. I also always had to raise CPU Power and Solid Hits to get them to feel like any kind of threat. Pinpoint is a little harder this year, but even on high difficulties, it's still just way too easy to paint the corners and hardly ever miss over the middle of the plate.

I think pinpoint is super fun, probably because it's a throwback to 2k for me. But I think it's still just WAY too strong on higher difficulties.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2022, 08:27 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
I use Classic Pitching and Directional Hitting and get pretty realistic gameplay and stats. At least in my opinion. But I think you can get realistic play with any setting honestly. To me it seems more of a personal preference.

I think part of the problem that a lot of players have is jumping around with sliders and different control schemes. The game of Baseball, as we all know is a game of averages. I think folks only play one or two games and think things are unrealistic. I honestly don't think you can get any realistic play or stats unless you play 10 if not 20 or so games. There are just too many variables. Any team can get hot or outperform on a given day. If you are constantly changing sliders or settings every couple of games you are not setting a proper baseline for what feels or looks right or wrong.

Personally I play all of Spring Training before I settle in where I want things to be. Then once the season starts I don't touch anything unless something drastic or major anomaly's start to happen. Then I might change a slider by One click at a time. This years game plays pretty tight I have only made small adjustments and I am actually loving this years.

EDIT

I would also like to add that this years game there is a much larger difference in gameplay from "Good" teams and "Bad" I have played several games with the O's and had a horrible time LOL. I was really struggling and was not real happy with the game. Then I played some games with the Padres and all of the sudden I could hit and field, starting winning games. That was when I really had to step back and look at player rating and such. They make a much bigger difference this year. So the question of what is realistic is even harder to get a baseline. Now you really do have to consider the team you are playing. If you are playing the O's and loosing all the time? Well get use to it. Are you playing a middle of the road team ranked right around 15th and having trouble getting a winning streak going and barely at .500? That's about right. Playing the best teams in the MLB and running away with it? Again its all in the stats and abilities. Very much so this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
I use Classic Pitching and Directional Hitting and get pretty realistic gameplay and stats. At least in my opinion. But I think you can get realistic play with any setting honestly. To me it seems more of a personal preference.

I think part of the problem that a lot of players have is jumping around with sliders and different control schemes. The game of Baseball, as we all know is a game of averages. I think folks only play one or two games and think things are unrealistic. I honestly don't think you can get any realistic play or stats unless you play 10 if not 20 or so games. There are just too many variables. Any team can get hot or outperform on a given day. If you are constantly changing sliders or settings every couple of games you are not setting a proper baseline for what feels or looks right or wrong.

Personally I play all of Spring Training before I settle in where I want things to be. Then once the season starts I don't touch anything unless something drastic or major anomaly's start to happen. Then I might change a slider by One click at a time. This years game plays pretty tight I have only made small adjustments and I am actually loving this years.

EDIT

I would also like to add that this years game there is a much larger difference in gameplay from "Good" teams and "Bad" I have played several games with the O's and had a horrible time LOL. I was really struggling and was not real happy with the game. Then I played some games with the Padres and all of the sudden I could hit and field, starting winning games. That was when I really had to step back and look at player rating and such. They make a much bigger difference this year. So the question of what is realistic is even harder to get a baseline. Now you really do have to consider the team you are playing. If you are playing the O's and loosing all the time? Well get use to it. Are you playing a middle of the road team ranked right around 15th and having trouble getting a winning streak going and barely at .500? That's about right. Playing the best teams in the MLB and running away with it? Again its all in the stats and abilities. Very much so this year.
This is pretty much exactly how I play. I am always watching pitch count, with 15 being my over/under target. If you want to get just get tricked by a strong starter, get to the 4th inning having just seen 24 pitches.

I do leave the catcher’s suggestions on, and will roll with them for a bit, especially at the start. But once I do get a feel, it’s like shaking off a catcher because I know the hitter is thinking the same thing. And it depends on if I think I have a pitch set up. Going against the grain and getting a called third strike feels really good.

It also feels like a punch in the gut when that clever change up over the plate goes yard.

Overall, the result has been that this has been my favorite baseball game of all time. I’ve been able to set the exact balance of gameplay to what I want most, which is decision making.

I can’t think of another game that comes close to the fun I’ve already had. It helps that I’m a Cardinal fan, because this is about the best year to have them, with Pujols back, Molina in his final season, and Wainright pitching way better than expected. Throw in Aranado having an insane start to the season, and I want to replay every game.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:15 AM   #51
Rookie

Dsabol715's Arena

thanks to this thread, I started a new RTTS as a SP (I usually go CP) and switched back to Classic after a few years on Meter. I play on HOF with some slider changes to make it alittle harder. I haven't enjoyed the game this much in awhile! Having an ERA between 4-6 in double-A is actually a good sight to see! I want to go through the minors in a few years hopefully. Never fails to get called up in year one or two as a 18 or 19 year old.
Pokemon LeafGreen

Teams:
New York Jets
New York Mets
Philadelphia Flyers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2022, 09:09 AM   #52
Greatness

utexas's Arena

OVR: 32

I see a lot of you are not using timing for hitting. What are you mr thoughts on timing? I’m also a pure analog pitching guy as well. I primarily play DD and some of the guyS just absolutely rake!
https://www.facebook.com/thesportspreacher/
https://www.facebook.com/ipreachspor...PAGES_TIMELINE
Old 05-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #53
Rookie

TonyMoraco15's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I'm curious to see what people think. In my franchise I've been using meter pitching. I feel like it's too easy, even on HOF and Legend. I have hardly given up any walks with even the worst pitchers on my team (Indians)

I can't do the pinpoint pitching. I just can't do it, so I guess not including that, what is the most realistic?

I changed to classic for a couple games, but noticed even Shane Bieber had trouble hitting his spots.

So yeah, what do you guys think?

I know this has been talked about before, but the game changes, so wanted to get the info for 21 in particular.

Classic everything on All Star +

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2022, 10:29 AM   #54
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22

I love classic pitching myself
I'm actually terrible at the other interfaces lol
Old 05-02-2022, 02:30 PM   #55
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by utexas
I see a lot of you are not using timing for hitting. What are you mr thoughts on timing? I’m also a pure analog pitching guy as well. I primarily play DD and some of the guyS just absolutely rake!
Timing is exactly the same as using directional without moving the LS. So when you see people using Directional, a lot of times they're basically using Timing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2022, 09:02 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by utexas
I've said it before but it bears worth repeating:
timing/directional hitting & meter pitching are like an automatic transmission on a car, more about the cars performance, not so much the driver.
the other hitting & pitching mechanics are like a stick shift transmission, the better the driver the better performance he/she/them/they/it can garner from the vehicle
my own personal preference is meter pitching with some occasional pulse tossed in and directional/timing hitting when batting

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »