Home

Madden NFL 15 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (XB1/PS4)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (XB1/PS4) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #505
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 15 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (XB1/PS4)

After not having played a Madden game since 09, I decided to pick up Madden 25 not too long ago. I liked it, but I had to pick up 15 after hearing all the impressions. Honestly I've never been a big fan of the game.

(note - other than skills trainer, so far I just play running back in career mode)

Let me say, EA really seems to have put a lot into Madden this year.

Wait... did I just type that?

-The graphics are obviously amazing. Even after all these pages it still is worth repeating. I'm not usually all that hung up on graphics. M25 wasn't fantastic but it was good enough. This just blows me away though.

-Normally I hit the button to skip the presentation, even if it is good. Well, in Madden I actually find myself watching it, mostly because the graphics are so good.

-The running game feels so much better, although I can't exactly say why. I liked running in M25, but this is even better and more challenging.

I won't get into the issues that have already been mentioned already. With the gameplay I am having tons of fun so far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2014, 01:05 PM   #506
Banned

OVR: 28

After playing about 30 games against friends online, here are my impressions. Please note, that I do NOT play the cpu - ever. I play strictly in online leagues and head to head against friends in my league communities. Most of the guys in each league I play in have been playing together for years, so despite any shortcomings of the game, it's enjoyable.

I've been playing football video games since the days of the Atari 2600. I've played pretty much all of the major games over the last 3 decades. Being a HUGE fan of the NFL and the game of football itself, I'm looking for the most realistic experience possible in any sports game that I play. I'm not much of a "gamer", but football gaming is really all I care about. Realistic is fun to me. When I see things that are ridiculous or don't make sense, it damages the experience for me. It's 2014 and we have the most powerful consoles on the market, so my expectations are high, but not unreasonable. Also, I'll get this out of the way right off the bat - APF 2k8 is the bar for me for gameplay on the field. It's, by far, the most realistic football game I've ever played (IMHO). Each version of Madden I play is always compared to that, because this is the only choice for current NFL gaming.

The Graphics in Madden 15 are excellent. I'm not a huge graphics guy, but I certainly won't complain about a game that gets all of the details and has realistic player models. In the past, the player models for Madden always irritated me due to the bodies looking silly. Big huge heads and ridiculous looking shoulders and arms. This year, they nailed it and deserve to get that credit. The crowd and sidelines are still very weak, but the players on the field and the environments are very well done.

On the field, the x's and o's of football are paramount to me. I want real football concepts to apply on the field. I don't play "Madden-ball" and never will (that's probably why I haven't won a super bowl in any of my leagues ). I'm by no means an LBzRule or Senator Palmer in my understanding, but I am a student of the game and I know my fair share. In the past, Madden completely lacked any sort of parallels to real football. If you knew how to play Madden, you would dominate over people who play football. I feel this has started to finally improve with this version of the game. I actually really like the skills trainer, and how those types of drills are integrated in CFM. It's mostly elementary for seasoned football minds, but it is great for accessibility and teaching people how to play football instead of madden. I like how the different concepts can actually be applied in game.

I've seen some nice plays by linebackers and DEs attacking the outside shoulder and setting the edge and pursuit angles have been greatly improved. Madden 25 had the worst pursuit angles I've ever seen in any football game. Everyone would simply run to the outside and all of your defenders would crash and get caught up in the wash. It's nice to see safeties taking the proper angle and DEs setting the edge at times and reaching for the back. It's not where it needs to be, but it's better.

Tackling is MUCH better in this version. I never thought tackling was "hard" in Madden, but it was silly. Guys would lay ball carriers out on their back with those ridiculous WWE style hits, and there were no wrap up tackles. In M15, I see a lot more wrapping up. It makes the game seem much more organic. It still has a ways to go to be as realistic as it should be, but it's much better. I saw some nice 3 man tackles where each defender was doing something different. Once play I had Andre Williams being brought down by a linebacker around his waist and a corner trying to pull him down by his back. It looked amazing and caused me to actually say something about it. First time I've done that in a madden game in 10 years.

When running the ball I'm glad to see a few things. I like how backs try to fit through holes and use their hands. The footplanting is better than last year, but still needs a little work. Players have more weight to them and that feels good. I like some of the animations I've seen from ball carriers when they take a hit and go down.

The passing game in Madden has always been a sore spot for me. This year's version has some nice improvements, but still has legacy issues. I was very critical of the inaccuracy system prior to release because I didn't think it was apparent enough. There is still some validity to that claim, but I will say it is a game changer. It's actually implemented very well when it happens. For once, players in madden tell me that they are alive. It's great to see receivers adjust even for routine passes and not simply be able to take off down field immediately for a huge gain. The catching animations remind me a lot of APF, and they look really good. Even some of the drops look good. I saw a play where a swing pass was thrown and the back tried to catch it with his body. It bounced off oh his shoulder pads and he lose his balance and fell. The pass was a bit behind him and he wasn't ready for it. Small detail to some, but to me, this is what immerses me - make me believe these players are alive. Seeing receivers and defenders reach for balls even if not thrown to them, but are in their area is refreshing and looks great - admittedly I was very surprised.

Unfortunately, with the good also comes the bad...

I still see a lot of issues that have yet to be fixed and, quite frankly, it's not really acceptable after all this time. Player Sense is touted yet I see really silly things. Defenders standing still flat footed is one of the worst things I've seen in a football game... period. THis has been an issue for years and it is unchanged in this version. What's even more frustrating with it, is you will see your MLB standing completely still in a hook zone, the QB will take off, cross the line of scrimmage by 4 yards and he will FINALLY react. During that time he just stands still. What happened to player sense 2.0? It looks awful and is very frustrating. I sent Clint Oldenburgh a video of this happening multiple times in a single game in Madden 25 about 3+ months ago and he assured me it was "fixed" in 15. Well, it's not fixed, and you will see it every time.

The physics engine is OK, but needs a lot of work. Player movement and interactions in Madden are worse than any of the major sports games by a mile and even worse than APF. I fully expect with the consoles and the technology and resources available to the madden team that they could create seemless, smooth and fluid player movement and interaction. It's 2014 and it is still not close, albeit it is improved over past Maddens. Players limbs still fold ridiculously and bodies often look ridiculously melded together, especially on the line play. There is more morphing and shifting in this madden than last years. Double team blocks can occasionally look good, but often times you just see the second lineman pressing himself into the other 2 engaged players with his arms at his sides. It looks AWFUL. You notice it within 5 minutes of playing your first game.

LIne play is arguable the most important aspect of any football game. Madden 15's line play looks just like last year's, but with some new issues. All of the bugs in the line play last year are in the game again this year. If the defense is set up so that there is a "hat on a hat", everything plays out nicely and the pocket forms well. Animations and interactions look decent. However, introduce any sort of twist or overload blitz and your line becomes a hot mess. You will see the tackle simply step aside, stare into space and block no one while a defense end runs in untouched. Guards attempt to slide without moving their feet if you send a LB through the B gap and there is a DT who makes an inside move. They never even make contact and don't get out of that "jazz hands" stance so it looks awful. Madden is once again plagued with the "win/loss" on the line (though improved in this aspect). Block, block, block, disengage instantly is the progression it follows. You still don't have the sense of a collapsing pocket. It's either all day to throw, or someone gets completely free. I still don't get that feel that APF was able to capture flawlessly with defenders pushing the pocket and everything collapsing on your QB. It's better at times, but still very, very disappointing in year 2 on NG. Another bad bug on the line - which was even showcased in one of their own early videos - is when lineman do a cut block. The cut block animation looks nice, the defender gets tripped up, but the lineman magically warps back upright as if he was pulled up by "the force". I've seen it over 15 times in about 30 games - I mean that is just embarrassing.

In all, Madden 15 is a decent game. It's MUCH better than any other "Madden". If you are someone who really doesn't pay much attention to the intricacies of real football and hasn't played the older games of the past, then you will love this game. It's smoother than the past, has great graphics and has finally started to crack through with realism taking precedence over maddenisms. That being said, this is still not close to being the best football game I've ever played on the field. There is so much missing that I can't possibly state that. Penalties are nearly non-existent, the challenge system is still beyond terrible, the player movement and interactions need a lot of work and the line play seems to have some regressions that are really holding back its potential.

Despite the direction heading the right way with Rex and team, the implementation of all of the games features still holds it back. Some things are really nicely done, but too many key aspects of the game are just sloppy and poorly implemented. This has been my issue with madden's teams from the beginning. Even with good ideas, the actual engineers writing the code seem to struggle where other engineering teams did not. Basics like player movement, O line targeting and player interactions should be fundamentally sound in a 2014 next gen game with all access to the NFL. They still aren't and until the Madden team can somehow right the ship as far as implementation goes, every review of the game will sound the same - "It's better than last year, but x, y, and z still don't work".

Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #507
Rookie

OVR: 0

Last madden I had was 04, so you can imagine this has been quite the jump.
Currently 4-3 with my Panthers and loving everything at the moment, except the rediculous amount of sacks. (after 7 games Lotulelei has 16! sacks) Even with the panthers D, i'm having a hard time stopping passes over the middle, but i'm loving every moment of it.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #508
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
I have a theory on what you just described.

Have you ever noticed that when you push either tackle button,the same thing happens to the cpu RB or receiver?

It seems it's something to do with how EA did the tackling stuff this year...I believe in the description for a "wrap" tackle,it says to "press X" within 3 yards.

It seems the same thing is happening with the cpu as well...but we obviously won't see any "prompt" for the cpu.

I can recall several times where the cpu RB gets through,and I'll push "X" and my defender will "warp" to make the tackle.
I noticed that on day 1 and said it on day 1. It is like the wrap tackle is a canned animation and the game will force that animation play out regardless of player orientation. Like late last night, I was running along the sidelines, I kid you not, the defender from about 3 or 4 yards away, body leaned back almost flat on his back and he slid over in that position to where his hip attached to my hip and he wrapped tackled me down to the ground.

EA might as well call conservative wrap tackle automatic suction tackle, because I have yet to miss a conservative tackle. Yeah EA made great strides this year, but that also went years backwards with some of the things in this game.

Now for those of you who mainly play online against other humans, then yeah, these problems won't bother you as much. But as a person who primarily against the CPU, these problems stick out to me as a loud suit after Labor Day.

Just like that new disengage feature the user can do to shed blocks instantly, the CPU does this A LOT on running plays, especially running plays up the middle. That needs to be toned down.

Perfect timing 1st step = jump the snap, I hate it. CPU abuses it quite often. Hell I watched many streams of people playing MUT and see people abuse it against other people. It is unstoppable when timed correctly.

There have been times when a LB from there regular position would use that quick 1st step feature and be on the QB within 2 seconds of hiking the ball. He would just run right by the center and guard UNTOUCHED.

================================================== ===

EA's Trojan horse, bring back something old that people hated in the past but call it a different name and people will love it.

Prime examples:

1. 1st step = Jump the snap, just a different name

2. Suction tackling = Conservative tackling

3. Block shedding problems = Disguised as new player defensive lineman controls.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #509
Rookie

OVR: 5

Absolutely love this game. The only thing I hate is the way they did the fantasy draft. The players are not ranked by overall ratings, so you have to constantly sort the ratings field. Other than that, this is the best Madden ever.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #510
Rookie

OVR: 0
I have to be honest. I think this is a well put together Madden going in a great direction. My two issues are offensive lineman giving up on their blocking assignments way too early off the snap and QB scrambles getting past the line of scrimmage and DB's just staying in their zones and not attacking a now offensive ball carrier. The last one I noticed as something that will hamper user vs user competition. I'm still searching for a great set of sliders on All Pro from the OS community, I trust that someone out there has to have good sliders coming soon to resolve some of these issues. Aside that I'm not blown away by Madden, but I'm not going to sit here and say they haven't made plenty of drastic changes. It's a good game, it's fun... But it's not a great game just yet but you can see the progress. I know Rex and everyone down there at EA is reading our comments and we all have been patient enough to see moves in the right direction. I think we are seeing them.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #511
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Slow speed plays a hell of a lot different then normal speed that is for sure. Outside runs are actually possible now. But EA needs to patch that tackling and block shedding. Running up the middle, the hole will look wide and you would think oh man I am about to bust a 8 yard or more gain, NOPE. As soon as you make it into the hole and take one step passed it, all the defensive linemen and linebackers INSTANTLY shed their block and your tackled for a 2 yard gain.

Even with tackle at 20, the CPU tackles way too good. Now I don't mind LEGIT tackles, but that damn warping and suction tackling needs to go. I was clearly a good 3 yards ahead and 2 yards to the left of the nearest defender. How the hell does my player not only stop running but contorts his body back and to the right into a LB ? That so pissed me off.

And to further prove chase down from behind logic is too powerful in this game, a 97 speed CB Josh Robinson for the Vikings intercepted my pass, how is it a 305 pound offensive lineman, the center Max Unger for the Seahawks chase him down from behind with 54 speed ? I mean there was nobody in front of the CB, clear sailing, he got caught within 25 yards from behind. I was yelled WTF ? How is that possible with 0 speed threshold ?

Pretty much the only special move I can get to work for ball carriers is the spin move. Juke move, nope, tackled. Stiff arm, nope just makes me get tackled even quicker. Trucking, nope, just get tackled quicker. Hell out of 2 dozen games now, I have still yet to see a stumble recovery.

I also noticed the robo QB is a lot stronger on slow speed compared to normal speed. Finally noticed the CPU takes my shots down field deep on slow speed.

The following needs to be patched ASAP:

1. Robo QB

2. Suction tackling

3. That automatic disengage block defensive linemen and LBs do as soon as you hit the hole.

4. The over powered chased down from behind logic. Nobody with 97 speed should be caught from behind in the open field by a 54 speed 305 pound offensive lineman on 0 speed threshold.

5. The flats seem to always be open for the CPU. RB is always left uncovered.

6. Tone down the success rate of 1 on 1 tackles. All tackles seem to be automatic. Hard tackle and conservative tackle both have the same very high level success rate.

7. What happened to stumble recovery and player avoidance ? I have yet to see stumble recovery out of 2 dozen games. Also CPU ball carriers tend to run into the back of their blockers way too often and get tangled in the blockers feet and fall down.

8. Too many times I see WRs flat footed and they just let the DB under cut them because they don't come back for the ball. Or the DB will jump but the WR won't jump for the ball.

9. Linebackers get their hands on too many balls over the middle. Their jumping skills is insane.
Hmmm,

Is there a consensus on the judgment of this experience?

I will pass if this holds up?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 08-29-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #512
MVP

Zer0xray's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy_Long
anyone getting way too many injuries when running the ball?
Yep. Romo was sacked 5 times and never got injured but Lynch got dinged up after a few plays

sent from galaxy note 3

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »