Home

Madden NFL 15 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (XB1/PS4)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (XB1/PS4) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #425
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Madden NFL 15 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (XB1/PS4)

As a presentation "homer", I bought the game strictly based on the improved presentation elements of the game. I feel as though presentation is the key to submersion in any sports game. The best sports games ever all have 1 thing in common and it is solid presentation.

My feeling about gameplay and all that pretty much fall in line with the majority of ppl on OS. Better, not great, but also no reason for anarchy against ea. Good showing this year, some things need to be worked out, but also much improved over what we have been getting over the last decade or so
With that said presentation review

First the overlays pop up and go away too quick. Way too quick ruins the point of having them, I've mentioned that several times already no need to dwell on it

My own hypothesis is that the overlays are linked to the animation. So for instance at the start of the game they show a quick cut of the returner, and overlay pops, the overlay goes away as soon as that animation goes away. Same with the kicker. Even the lineups, everything pops up and before you even know what you are looking at, they disappear. I'm not hopeful that this can be patched as I think it's linked to things like the animations, so we may be stuck with it like this until they update the animations which may take a few years.

Even with the overlays going away too quick, they look great. All the overlays, the score bar, the pre game interface, halftime interface, all are really good looking elements. It feels like a cbs broadcast and just everything goes well together. What stats and info I can read on them seems relevant, so it's major major improvement over what we've had.

The only element that seems out of place to me is the intro to the game where the stadium transforms from metal to the actual stadium. Nothing else in the game does this, and it's not something you would see in a broadcast. You go from the preface intro where they highlite 2 players you feel like your about to watch a real nfl game, to that, it's like oh, yes this is a video game. It comes off as a lazy design decision. They could have the real stadium fly in, or show stadium shots without that element and it would work better. With that said, it's not horrific, it just kills a little of the immersion and broadcast legitimacy that the rest of the presentation package is trying to accomplish.

Commentary is OK. It's not the best ever, but not the worst. It is great for madden. Certainly there are thing you'd like to hear more of, some more sidebar things, but for what we have had over the years, this really isn't a bad job. It is what it is, and for the most part, it accomplishes what it needs to.

One thing about the commentary, both the main game commentary and the halftime commentary is that nobody ever mentions the score. At no time during the game or highlights does someone mention the score of game. This is so odd and puzzling to me. It would be nice if the score and some specific stats were mentioned.

The halftime show is another thing that is "ok". The main guy Larry Ridley isn't that great, but again, it is what it is, it's better than anything we've had last 10 years. He doesn't mention the score, the cameras for the replays shown are not too good, but in the end it isn't horrific. He guy does say some cheesy stuff, that takes away from the immersion " let's roll those moving pictures" just seems like they could have worked a little harder and smarter on it.

I really dislike the transition from the the halftime show to the 2nd half. I dislike it, because there isn't one. Sometimes it'll go from the highlite right to the kickoff screen with no transition.

I like the crowd reaction to things for the most part, and obviously some work needs to be done on the "living worlds" but the crowd seems to respond to what's going on during the game most of the time.

Some other bugs in the presentation are that sometimes the replay will start, then the screen wipe of the teams logo or "prime time" logo will pop, with the replay running in the background. This again, just takes the user out of their immersion in the game.

If next year, they offer broadcast view replays, make the overlays stay up significantly longer, and tone the halftime show to better recap the play on the field they will have a heck of a presentation package on their hands.

While good, I feel the presentation team left a lot of plays on the field. The way everything is presented I feel like they feel they "did a good enough job" unfortunately some of the things they messed up make the work they did on implementing them pointless (overlays). Even though I'm highly critical, I do respect the strides they have made, and they are on the right track. Can't say how much I did the overall look of the presentation. Really sharp.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #426
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12

During evenly matched online games, you can really feel how powerful the defense is this year due to the low scoring matches. Only problem with this during the short online games is that one turnover and you are done since you sometimes only have to ball once or maybe twice a half. It's not a bad thing just way different than last year.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #427
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealyMonster
As a presentation "homer", I bought the game strictly based on the improved presentation elements of the game. I feel as though presentation is the key to submersion in any sports game. The best sports games ever all have 1 thing in common and it is solid presentation.

My feeling about gameplay and all that pretty much fall in line with the majority of ppl on OS. Better, not great, but also no reason for anarchy against ea. Good showing this year, some things need to be worked out, but also much improved over what we have been getting over the last decade or so

First the overlays pop up and go away too quick. Way too quick ruins the point of having them, I've mentioned that several times already no need to dwell on it

My own hypothesis is that the overlays are linked to the animation. So for instance at the start of the game they show a quick cut of the returner, and overlay pops, the overlay goes away as soon as that animation goes away. Same with the kicker. Even the lineups, everything pops up and before you even know what you are looking at, they disappear. I'm not hopeful that this can be patched as I think it's linked to things like the animations, so we may be stuck with it like this until they update the animations which may take a few years.

Even with the overlays going away too quick, they look great. All the overlays, the score bar, the pre game interface, halftime interface, all are really good looking elements. It feels like a cbs broadcast and just everything goes well together. What stats and info I can read on them seems relevant, so it's major major improvement over what we've had.

The only element that seems out of place to me is the intro to the game where the stadium transforms from metal to the actual stadium. Nothing else in the game does this, and it's not something you would see in a broadcast. You go from the preface intro where they highlite 2 players you feel like your about to watch a real nfl game, to that, it's like oh, yes this is a video game. It comes off as a lazy design decision. They could have the real stadium fly in, or show stadium shots without that element and it would work better. With that said, it's not horrific, it just kills a little of the immersion and broadcast legitimacy that the rest of the presentation package is trying to accomplish.

Commentary is OK. It's not the best ever, but not the worst. It is great for madden. Certainly there are thing you'd like to hear more of, some more sidebar things, but for what we have had over the years, this really isn't a bad job. It is what it is, and for the most part, it accomplishes what it needs to.

One thing about the commentary, both the main game commentary and the halftime commentary is that nobody ever mentions the score. At no time during the game or highlights does someone mention the score of game. This is so odd and puzzling to me. It would be nice if the score and some specific stats were mentioned.

The halftime show is another thing that is "ok". The main guy Larry Ridley isn't that great, but again, it is what it is, it's better than anything we've had last 10 years. He doesn't mention the score, the cameras for the replays shown are not too good, but in the end it isn't horrific. He guy does say some cheesy stuff, that takes away from the immersion " let's roll those moving pictures" just seems like they could have worked a little harder and smarter on it.

I really dislike the transition from the the halftime show to the 2nd half. I dislike it, because there isn't one. Sometimes it'll go from the highlite right to the kickoff screen with no transition.

I like the crowd reaction to things for the most part, and obviously some work needs to be done on the "living worlds" but the crowd seems to respond to what's going on during the game most of the time.

Some other bugs in the presentation are that sometimes the replay will start, then the screen wipe of the teams logo or "prime time" logo will pop, with the replay running in the background. This again, just takes the user out of their immersion in the game.

If next year, they offer broadcast view replays, make the overlays stay up significantly longer, and tone the halftime show to better recap the play on the field they will have a heck of a presentation package on their hands.

While good, I feel the presentation team left a lot of plays on the field. The way everything is presented I feel like they feel they "did a good enough job" unfortunately some of the things they messed up make the work they did on implementing them pointless (overlays). Even though I'm highly critical, I do respect the strides they have made, and they are on the right track. Can't say how much I did the overall look of the presentation. Really sharp.
As a presentation guy, I appreciate this review. Great analysis.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #428
MVP

OVR: 21

It seems the same thing happens every year. The game is proclaimed the "best madden ever" and most are wowed by the texture upgrade, and presentation adjustments. Because the game plays a bit different "Mostly due to ratings adjustments" It gives the illusion the game is somehow "new." Once your mind catches up to the trick after playing 10 or more games you soon discover its the same stuff recycled. Some of us immediately see it and others ignore it and parrot the mantra, "Best Madden Ever"

I am still seeing the same stuff in madden 15 I have seen in every madden the past years. Bad pursuit angles, warping, sliding, missed blocking assignments(worse this year than last), suction blocking/tackling, animations negating user input, bad animations, QB contain don't work or is bugged(I have seen DE's get sucked right back into a block or for some strange reason loop inside, thus loosing "contain"(always the left DE)), pre-play controls are a hot mess(too many button presses to accomplish one task) stank(buggy) play call menu, still can't send more than one man in motion.

I played my first online game last night and it was no different from last year. Guy used the Browns and he could scramble around and wing it into coverage with manziel and make completions. Sometimes my "warp enabled" defenders would make a play but I still sa man times my defenders would just stand there and watch WR's catch balls right in front of them.

The defense has no situation awareness. A QB can be running full speed toward the LOS and they just stand in place making no move toward the QB. Its like they can't react until the QB has actually crossed the LOS. Players 10 or more yards away(even the other side of the field)
are reacting to juke moves, WTF ? There are times when I am running the ball, I try to go left but the cpu seems to take control of my running back and steers him right then does a juke move that gets him stuck on my linemen, WTF ?

There is a WHOLE lot I want to say, but talking about this stuff here ain't gonna bring about any "real change" in this game.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #429
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
The CFM stats issue is being worked on as we speak. I have total faith the team down in Austin will get this resolved. Appreciate the feedback, really happy you guys are enjoying the game.
Hopefully, they can also address the wack roster moves that have been detailed across the forum as CCM progresses into multiple seasons...

As a LOOOOOONG time hardcore player, this game is still on the (unprecedented) "No Buy" list unless / until BOTH the stat engine and the aformentioned roster issues are addressed...

That being said:

Much thanks for popping in and addressing the community!

Old 08-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #430
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealyMonster

My main problem with the presentation is that ALL the replays are tight shots, after seven games i haven't seen a single wide angle shot of a play, this is pretty bad for me, hard to appreciate a nice play if i can only see a couple of players filling 90% of the screen. has anyone else noticed or is bothered by this? It is kinda ruining the presentation for me, the half time highlights are useless to me because of this.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #431
Rookie

TeamHawkins's Arena

OVR: 0

Tombsong, you said a mouthful. This game is a wonky look-a-like from previous years. After plays, and even times during plays, the way players fall all over the place, and on each other just looks down right comical. Especially weird tackle animations. It effects the running game in a bad bad way. I am a beast at running the football still, even against the telepathy cpu defense, but it still just looks bad altogether.

Screen Plays: Every year, you get a 2 step drop and the defensive line is all over you. You basically have to throw the ball and hope it's caught. Or hope you catch them in a bad defense. Hope the DT doesn't run your RB down in the backfield. This is definitely evident once again vs the annual cheating computer A.I. that has some sort of speed cheat. Defensive Tackles all of a sudden run a 4.3/40 during screen plays.

Super Sim: I was playing in our online league vs the Saints. I'm up 24-7. The sim is also programmed to cheat scores. The Saints scored 28 straight points in one half to beat my Browns after I completely dominated them. The stats and percentages I accumulated throughout the game had no effect on the sim. My friend who was down 24-0 vs the Steelers in his game, Super Simmed the 4th quarter (while live streaming) and his Jaguars score 24 straight points to tie the game vs the Chargers, all in the 4th. Only to lose by 3. The Super Sim is completely senseless to us period. Now if you Super Sim play by play you get slightly better results. But our tests results conclude a senseless feature.

Online League Head to Head: This seems broken. We played a game last night, and after which the game did not register in the league. All stats lost including a monster night from Tashaun Gipson of my Browns with 5 ints. We tried again, and the same thing happened. Head to Head games aren't registering.

Defensive Backs: I've seen a few people notice this issue and I completely agree. Scrambling QB's do not get attacked if they get outside and past the DE, until AFTER they are well downfield. The defender in pursuit is the only player or players that can make a play. Otherwise it's easy yards. Also, too many QB's are scrambling and throwing across their bodies for silly looking completions.

I also noticed on multiple plays inside the 10 yard line the Defensive Backs actually standing BEHIND the goal posts. Absolutely ridiculous. On other plays defenders standing behind a receiver to allow a catch and make no move on the ball. While on other plays they will make a move on the ball. I mean there is no here nor there as to why it's so wonky.

Bad TE or Tackle Blocking: This has been an issue since Madden 2003. Horrible TE blocking while running the football. The animation where cpu defenders blow up the TE or Tackles directly into the RB is ridiculous. This should not be the only way the CPU can stop you, especially when it needs a stop. This is almost 100% guaranteed to happen.

Remember, if you are playing this game straight up, you will notice so much wrong with it, it can frustrate you into not wanting to play it at all, as it has in past years. If you are glitching, nano blitzing, cheesing etc... which most do, then they won't notice these issues or frankly won't care about them. But most people I play with play pretty straight up aside from the many who have to run Hurry-Up Offense with any team they use.

This game is not unplayable, but a hardcore gamer like myself can only tolerate it for a month or two before I'm done. I wish they would really get it together and develop a realistic football game, because I hate not having one for 10 months at a time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #432
Rookie

OVR: 0

After about 2 days I'm done. All the stuff u just said above is why. Everybody I've seen say they love this game are all playing on all pro. Please play this game on all madden and then come tell me how much fun u have. I'm fine with the CPU out smarting me or having a better strategy than me and winning but not just cheating its way to a win. The game is so heavily scripted I know what's gunna happen before it does it and it seems like it knows what I'm doing before I do too. It looks pretty and all but its same old game from ea just defense got ramped up because seahawks won super bowl. If broncos would have won they wouldn't have even touched it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »