Home

Bill's Sliders Plus Franchise House Rules

This is a discussion on Bill's Sliders Plus Franchise House Rules within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-27-2004, 12:21 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Bill's Sliders Plus Franchise House Rules

yes for those who dont anna use the team sliders these are the best out there!
peace
Old 08-27-2004, 01:01 AM   #10
MVP

Hurricain's Arena

OVR: 10

Bill your sliders are great, thanks for all your work.

Question though, how come you have turned down human running? In my franchise seems like the cpu running back can break more tackles. Not sure probably my ability. Anyway just wondering.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:03 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3
Icon14 Re: Bill's Sliders Plus Franchise House Rules

Bill, I just want to say that your slider are excellent and I recommend it to everyone thats looking for a fair and challenging game of football!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2004, 03:07 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricain
How come you have turned down human running? In my franchise seems like the cpu running back can break more tackles. Not sure probably my ability. Anyway just wondering.
I have a running back rated at 79 and he breaks tackles--but he also has a high strength rating. Plus my fullback breaks even more, but his strength rating is extremely high. I think you're right that the CPU breaks more tackles, although I hadn't even thought about it that way until you mentioned it. The only reason the CPU RB setting is 40 is to give their running a game a chance for big plays, which they rarely have.

Here's why the setting is that way. I wanted the sliders and house rules to both make the onfield action very challenging and make the General Manager section of the game extremely difficult. I went for four seasons with a lousy running attack (my offensive lineman were all rated in the high 70's) until I bit the bullet, spent some money and traded some draft picks, and got players in the mid-high 80's. I have a running attack now, but I got it at the price of depth on the defensive side of the ball, because I couldn't afford to have both.

I posted both slider settings and house rules at one time because they really act as an integrated package. It's very difficult to manage the salary carp with those rules, and it's very hard to keep great players. If you can't build a powerhouse roster, it's going to make the onfield action much more challenging. Plus some of the slider settings (particularly Human blocking and Human tackling) make the GM portion much harder. With tackling set at 0, you're forced to draft good tacklers, and most of those guys have weaknesses in their other ratings. It's the same thing with blocking--if you don't get offensive lineman rated in the 80's, you're not going to have much of a running game. But those good OL are really expensive, which means you probably can't afford something else.

I won the Super Bowl last night (first time) and had 120 yards rushing with a 79 rated back and OL in the high 80's. The team I was playing had a powerhouse offense, but it's defensive tackles weren't strong, and they had an inside linebacker hurt early in the game, so the interior was vulnerable.

As a result of the house rules, though, I have to dismantle that team today. I kept a slew of guys who were in the last two years of their contracts, even though I knew I needed to trade them for the future, because they were highly-rated players and I thought the team could make a run if I could keep them together. I did, they won, and now I'll lose 12-15 of them (all rated 80+, and at least half of that group are 85+). My team will go from a 94 rating to around 80 in just one off-season.

That's what I want, though. That happens all the time in the real NFL. Every opportunity should have a cost. That's what I wanted to do when I developed both the sliders and the house rules. Nothing should be free.

By the way, the Super Bowl is just fantastically cool. They really did a great job.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:15 PM   #13
MVP

Arrow Re: Bill's Sliders Plus Franchise House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by billharris44
I have a running back rated at 79 and he breaks tackles--but he also has a high strength rating. Plus my fullback breaks even more, but his strength rating is extremely high. I think you're right that the CPU breaks more tackles, although I hadn't even thought about it that way until you mentioned it. The only reason the CPU RB setting is 40 is to give their running a game a chance for big plays, which they rarely have.

Here's why the setting is that way. I wanted the sliders and house rules to both make the onfield action very challenging and make the General Manager section of the game extremely difficult. I went for four seasons with a lousy running attack (my offensive lineman were all rated in the high 70's) until I bit the bullet, spent some money and traded some draft picks, and got players in the mid-high 80's. I have a running attack now, but I got it at the price of depth on the defensive side of the ball, because I couldn't afford to have both.

I posted both slider settings and house rules at one time because they really act as an integrated package. It's very difficult to manage the salary carp with those rules, and it's very hard to keep great players. If you can't build a powerhouse roster, it's going to make the onfield action much more challenging. Plus some of the slider settings (particularly Human blocking and Human tackling) make the GM portion much harder. With tackling set at 0, you're forced to draft good tacklers, and most of those guys have weaknesses in their other ratings. It's the same thing with blocking--if you don't get offensive lineman rated in the 80's, you're not going to have much of a running game. But those good OL are really expensive, which means you probably can't afford something else.

I won the Super Bowl last night (first time) and had 120 yards rushing with a 79 rated back and OL in the high 80's. The team I was playing had a powerhouse offense, but it's defensive tackles weren't strong, and they had an inside linebacker hurt early in the game, so the interior was vulnerable.

As a result of the house rules, though, I have to dismantle that team today. I kept a slew of guys who were in the last two years of their contracts, even though I knew I needed to trade them for the future, because they were highly-rated players and I thought the team could make a run if I could keep them together. I did, they won, and now I'll lose 12-15 of them (all rated 80+, and at least half of that group are 85+). My team will go from a 94 rating to around 80 in just one off-season.

That's what I want, though. That happens all the time in the real NFL. Every opportunity should have a cost. That's what I wanted to do when I developed both the sliders and the house rules. Nothing should be free.

By the way, the Super Bowl is just fantastically cool. They really did a great job.
Very cool indeed. I based my sliders off yours and this game is a blast and I give props to you for that. I also play a similar style in my franchise mode and loaded up my team for a Superbowl. We lost the first year in the conference championship(as Rex Grossman had food poisoning and his back up ... well lets just say he's no longer on the team) and this year I am 4-1. So,if we don't win this year, my rating will probably go from 91 to, well I do not want to think about it. Anyway, great job on the sliders and house rules. PEACE!
Old 08-27-2004, 07:09 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

Bill,

What are your auto sub settings.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:52 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Bill,

What are your auto sub settings.
IIRC, it was 60% out/85 % in. Maybe bill or someone can clarify that....

Bill, these sliders are even better than the ones we were running the tests with. Not only did the problems go away for the human-played games, I'm seeing some realistic results through 3 CPU-only games too. If anything, maybe it opened up the offense a little too much, with Portis rushing for 179 yards and 3 TD's, but that's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. It looks like the pursuit slider really did the trick on the interceptions too.

Now if only I could make some halfway decent reads......in my last played game I threw 4 picks - all to STATIONARY defenders playing zone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2004, 10:13 PM   #16
Pro

Subs are 60/85.

Thanks for the compliments, you guys. I'm having more fun with these sliders and house rules than any football game I've ever played. I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many hours my VIP profile says I've played!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders »