Home

Old 06-23-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 19
Attribute Meanings

I need some help here. I enjoy trying to edit rosters to make the game play realistically, but apparently I'm not sure what some of the ratings mean. For example, I understand that Accuracy for a QB dictates how accurate their passes will be. I thought, however, that Pass Read Coverage indicated how well they could read the defensive coverage scheme and affected when they threw to the open receiver. I have read on these forums that it affects how often a QB runs. It would really help me, and probably other people who are doing their own roster edits, if someone could post the real effect that each rating has on gameplay. Thanks in advance.
Acts 2:38. Let the truth be told.
John 4:23. He is seeking a seeker.
John 3:20. Say no to normal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
Pro

hardcor2's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Attribute Meanings

All I did was copy this directly from Finns editor

Attributes Explained:

Speed:
Put simply, its how fast the player runs. Our ratings are based on each player's reported time in the 40 yard dash and is adjusted on a position-by position basis, so don't worry about comparing a QB's rating to that of a WR's

Agility:
This is how fast a player makes his cuts and changes direction. Our ratings are based on each player's reported time in the 10-, 20-, and 40- yard shuttles.

Strength:
The name says it all. This is how strong the player is in terms of upper and lower body strength. Reported bench press and squat numbers are used to determine these numbers.

Jumping:
Yet another self-explanatory name--this
attribute determines how high the player can jump and is important in both catching and defending the pass. We looked at vertical jump data to determine these ratings

Stamina:
This rating determines just how fast a player gets tired and is based on a position by position basis so numbers for a QB shouldn't be compared to those of an offensive lineman

Durability:
The higher the durability rating, the lower the likelihood that the player will get injured. The lower the durability rating, the higher the likelihood that the player will end up on the stretcher.

Pass Accuracy:
This is another no-brainer. It simply covers how accurate the player is at throwing the football

Pass Arm Strength:
If your QB can throw the ball from one knee through the goal post from 50+ yards away, he probably has a respectable rating here. This rating determines the velocity and distance that the ball can be thrown

Pass Read Coverage:
A high rating here means that your player is good at finding the open man and purring the ball in a good position to be caught

Scramble:
A QB w/ a high scramble rating will be more accurate and effective when throwing on the run. If your QB is low in this area, you'd be best served by staying in the pocket

Catch:
The player's ability to catch the thrown football. If your player hgas a low catch rating, you can expecta lot of drops if you keep throwing it his way

Run Route:
This
attribute is used to determine how well a player runs his route and how well he's at getting open and getting to the ball once its in the air

Secure Ball:
A low rating here means that you can expect some fumbles from this player if you run with him alot. A high rating means that you can count on him to not fumble when the game's on the line

Break Tackle:
When your guy is rated high here, he'll be better at avoiding and breaking out of tackle attempts by the defense

Run Style:
Finesse backs perform jukes and spins better than they do shoulder charges and stiff arms. Power runners are the opposite and balanced backs perform all types of special moves equally well. You can see this
attribute when you go to Edit Player.

Run Blocking:
This is a tough one. Okay, maybe it's not. This rating determines how well your player is at blocking on running plays

Pass Blocking:
We'll give you two guesses, but we're sure you'll only need one. This rating determines the quality of your player's pass blocking skills

Tackle:
This is how good your player is at taking down the guy with the ball. Its basically the counterpart to the ball carrier's break tackle rating.

Pass Rush:
A player with a high pass rush rating will be good at disengaging with pass blockers and getting to the QB

Run Support:
A good score here means that your player is skilled at stopping the run and taking good pursuit angles when trying to make the tackle.

Coverage:
This
attribute determines how well your player covers receivers and defends the pass

Aggressiveness:
A high rating here means an increased likelihood that your guy will bite on play action passes, double moves by WR's, and pump fakes. It also determines how much celebrating he'll do

Composure:
Can your QB stand up to pressure and throw accurate passes with blitzers in his face? If so, his rating here should be fairly respectable

Consistency:
This
attribute determines how often the player performs up to the best of his ability. Expect rookies to have some low numbers in this particular category.

Leadership:
A leader can make the players around him perform better and that's what this
attribute controls

Kick Power:
This your kicker's leg strength. The higher the number, the further he can kick or punt the football

Kick Accuracy:
Quite simply, this is how accurate your player's kicks and punts will be. If this is low, you can expect some error to the left or right.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19

I couldn't see anything in your post, but I'll look in Finn's editor. I didn't know they were in there. Thanks.
Acts 2:38. Let the truth be told.
John 4:23. He is seeking a seeker.
John 3:20. Say no to normal.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

He had the text color as black, if you hightlight his post you can see it...
Old 06-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Isn't the pass read coverage the one that's a little tricky? I think I have those lowered for QB's so they will give consideration to other than the primary receiver on a given play.......or am I not thinking straight?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm44
I need some help here. I enjoy trying to edit rosters to make the game play realistically, but apparently I'm not sure what some of the ratings mean. For example, I understand that Accuracy for a QB dictates how accurate their passes will be. I thought, however, that Pass Read Coverage indicated how well they could read the defensive coverage scheme and affected when they threw to the open receiver. I have read on these forums that it affects how often a QB runs. It would really help me, and probably other people who are doing their own roster edits, if someone could post the real effect that each rating has on gameplay. Thanks in advance.
Pass read coverage does affect how well a QB reads a defense and finds an open man. If a QB has a low PRC, he will get more frazzled in the pocket and start scrambling when his first read isn't there. Guys like Mike Vick and Vince Young are perfect examples of guys that start to scramble 1)because they have the amazing athletic ability to do so and 2) because they aren't great at reading coverages, so when their first option isn't there, they resort to running than going through their progressions. Aggressiveness appears to have some bearing on how often a QB will run too.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Hmmmm....willingness to scramble and take off? I thought that had to do with composure. Brunell took off on me several times last night..... I'll have to look at his numbers.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

composure has more to do with how easily frazzled the player gets under pressure. sure, he the qb may scramble more when the heat is on, but he's more likely to throw an errand pass or int when composure is low. if you want the QB to scramble, like thejackal said, you must lower the PRC ability.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »