Home

PES 2010 Console Impressions

This is a discussion on PES 2010 Console Impressions within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-06-2009, 01:39 AM   #25
MVP

cookusu's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: PES 2010 Console Impressions

I think that most of the criticisms I have seen, have some validity to them but to me they are not as pronounced as some of the posters say.

I really can't agree that poor teams cheat and their playing abilities are leveled out. Yes they do play a boring pass the ball around style, but if you move up your defensive pressure and pressure them and move up your back line you force them to do something, they will sometimes make mistakes and sometimes try to attack you, probably not as much attacking as I would like but then I realize they are trying to win or stay in the game. Real teams do the same thing when they are over matched, yeah it sucks to watch but it happens. Think about college basketball before the shot clock and Carolina a the 4 corners, seriously boring. To me cheating would be they are suddenly super fast or make miraculous plays.

CPU probably doesn't make enough runs at the defense but they do make them especially in your half and especially if you chase them, they will try to exploit you, in their own half they definitely pass the ball around a lot, I guess a lot of that depends on your perception of what the game should be and what real soccer is like.

I am playing on Professional mostly Master League games and don't find the game too easy or too easy to get off shots from distance. On Regular I saw that depending on the team that they did leave you too much room. The CPU tends not to lose it's shape and usually makes it a challenge for me anyway, to blast one in from distance.

Also I play with Fatigue and accumulated fatigue on and the random mood levels, don't know what others are playing but that may effect your experience some.

Back to the headers, defending them on corners or with multiple guys in the box is fun and I Feel in control, but if they make a run down the side on me and I it's 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 in the box, I definitely get the feeling that I don't have control over the outcome, or it could be that I just don't like to be scored on and remember those plays better.

Overall I am really enjoying the game, it is the closest in my view to doing more things right than any game I have seen, yes it is not perfect but I would encourage any soccer fan to give it a try. It is one of those games that to me has always been one that the more you put in to it and the more realistically you play it the better it becomes.

Plus Didier Drogba scared me he looked so real, if only he would roll around on the ground screaming after the slightest of touches and then moments later carry 3 guys on his back and score. I do agree not enough fouls but I am getting a few more as I go along.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #26
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookusu

CPU probably doesn't make enough runs at the defense but they do make them especially in your half and especially if you chase them, they will try to exploit you, in their own half they definitely pass the ball around a lot, I guess a lot of that depends on your perception of what the game should be and what real soccer is like.
first of all, I'm glad that you're enjoying the game. But the issue of passing is not that thwey pass too much, it's more that they pass too quickly. In real soccer, a team can rattle off 10-15 sraight passes in a row for an attack( a technical team that is ) but they just don't rattle off one touch passing like the cpu does in PES. The Cpu just doesn't survey the field enough....get the ball pass, the pass recipient gets the ball one touch pass, and another one touch pass. The cpu, unfortunately for me, playes like cheesers online with their ping pong passing.

Also, I'm not really comparing this problem to real life as much as I'm comparing it to past PES titles. it was much better then IMO. Better flow, cpu will try to make runs, slow it down a bit. Just much more varied in the build up.

Last edited by phillyfan23; 11-06-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #27
MVP

cookusu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
first of all, I'm glad that you're enjoying the game. But the issue of passing is not that thwey pass too much, it's more that they pass too quickly. In real soccer, a team can rattle off 10-15 sraight passes in a row for an attack( a technical team that is ) but they just don't rattle off one touch passing like the cpu does in PES. The Cpu just doesn't survey the field enough....get the ball pass, the pass recipient gets the ball one touch pass, and another one touch pass. The cpu, unfortunately for me, playes like cheesers online with their ping pong passing.

Also, I'm not really comparing this problem to real life as much as I'm comparing it to past PES titles. it was much better then IMO. Better flow, cpu will try to make runs, slow it down a bit. Just much more varied in the build up.
That's cool. I definitely see what you mean. The CPU tends to play an Arsenal style when they are playing well pass and move. IN reality a lot of teams spend too much time looking for a pass and it gets them nowhere. It seems to vary in the games I play as to whether the passing is too fast, not sure why that it is.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #28
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

I am not entirely convinced that there is a "style' of play going on. seems like all teams have one setting...

Whereas in fifa the tactics being set up by others is prooving the game to be very authentic.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #29
Kitten Mittens!!

thegut's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookusu
I think that most of the criticisms I have seen, have some validity to them but to me they are not as pronounced as some of the posters say.

I really can't agree that poor teams cheat and their playing abilities are leveled out.
Well I did what one poster said on pesfan.com. I created two teams one with every player at 99 skill and one with 1 skill in everything. On top player my players are constantly ran down by the 1 skill team. So yes it definitely does even up skills.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 5

After WE 9, I didn't think I'd have so much fun playing online again. This game online is CLASS. Even red connected opponents give you a solid match, except for the first 5 seconds or so.

Extremely fun game
Old 11-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #31
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23

Maybe it's my copy of the game, but I just don't see this. Not saying the CPU has a tendency to pass the ball off quickly, but not like you describe. I know when you pressure, they pass it around fast because of looking for space to set up an attack. To the point of lobbing a long pass across the field to switch sides of play. I never see the CPU constantly one touch...one touch....one touch. They jockey the ball up and everything.

As for Tomba saying all teams play the same, yet they don't on FIFA? Seriously? Did FIFA get new adboards or something recently?

Whatever. You see what you see. Who am I to say anything? You basically said this game disappoints you, so you'll probably sell it or trade it in. That's you and your opinion. What can I say? Sorry that you guys don't like the game. No big deal. This isn't me being a smart-***, I promise.

You don't like the game, then you don't like the game. Right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #32
MVP

cookusu's Arena

I have definitely seen teams play different styles and if you wanted to you can edit the styles of the teams. It also helps if you understand the style you are set up to play,with Sevilla, they are set up to cross a lot they have two fast guys on the wings in Navas and Adriano and it works pretty well. I also play as Sunderland and trying to run past people with Richardson and Malbranque doesn't work as well and I need to be patient to get opportunities.

If I don't like the way the CPU is playing I change my defensive tactics and go after them, that was what I meant when I said this game was more tactical than previous years.

I enjoyed what I played of FIFA but the similarity of the teams and the players especially was pretty evident to me, to each his own.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »