Home

Revamped Overall Formula for NBA 2K15 Player Ratings Explained

This is a discussion on Revamped Overall Formula for NBA 2K15 Player Ratings Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #97
MVP

Colts18's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Revamped Overall Formula for NBA 2K15

It is wild that so many talent folks are working on a basketball game. We are blessed. We were already blessed to begin with but we are blessed man. It isn't fair
Old 09-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #98
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: Revamped Overall Formula for NBA 2K15 Player Ratings Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfn04
So system DOES matter.
I guess it does in a more complicated way since they assess value to players but not exactly as it was brought up before.

I also wish 2k would just release the info and not have Beds have to tip toe trying to explain the new system.

The marketing is weird sometimes
Old 09-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #99
MVP

OVR: 1
Revamped Overall Formula for NBA 2K15 Player Ratings Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftos
You can see how a system like this gets really complicated. I'm very happy with our new overall formulas and logic this year, and along with the improvements to team-building (which isn't going to be perfect but we've taken strides in the right direction, trust me) gives us nice results and a nice base to continue working off of based on this year's feedback.

A lot of things have been changed this year, so I'm really looking forward to fresh feedback once you get your hands on the game.
This is fantastic. I didn't have time to join in the team building AI thread but basically my thought was that the AI needed to recognize what it had beyond vague overalls, what it can do with that, what pieces are needed, and what that means in the team building cycle. It sounds like you guys are setting up a foundation that would allow that sort of team building.

From there, in short, the AI should build teams influenced by a hierarchy of specific to general: Players on hand, compatible system, coaching style, rebuild stage based on roster, GM tendencies, and owner desires.

But nothing really will make sense unless the evaluation of players makes sense and the AI factors in what sort of system they can play in

I hope that the archetypes become much more specific than simply defensive, offensive, or all-around big man (edit: upon second reading, that seems to be the case). There's rim protector, pick and roll big, pick and pop big, stretch 4, face up 4, post scorer, hustle guy, post facilitator, etc etc, with each player possibly covering multiple roles. And that's just for a big. The AI needs to understand that there's more than getting high OVRs -- getting all ball dominant players is a bad idea-- and should be seeking complimentary pieces for its best players (factoring in value/length/age/tradeability of contract/etc). I'd really like a system that models how difficult it is to both build a superteam in the first place and how to get them to play well together. I would love a system that would allow for ring chasing superteams-on-paper to fail and discourage unrealistic superstar hero balling at all levels.

Anyway, excited to see how the new system works and how it'll be expanded upon in the future.

Last edited by Sundown; 09-05-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #100
2K Sports Community Manager

LD2k's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
The marketing is weird sometimes
So is OS. And that's why we're here.

Master of Operation Sports .gifs

Old 09-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #101
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
So is OS. And that's why we're here.
Touche...lol

Can't argue there. Glad you guys are.

Are you going to be in Anaheim next week?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #102
MVP

OVR: 15

So here's a question. Has this new rating formula been implemented to the classic teams/players also? Curious to see what Jordan's or Magic Johnson ratings would be?
Old 09-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #103
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
So here's a question. Has this new rating formula been implemented to the classic teams/players also? Curious to see what Jordan's or Magic Johnson ratings would be?
Oh man, good question. I didn't even think about that. I too, am curious
Old 09-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #104
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

So let me gets is straight, you guys don't have a "ratings guru" who watches YouTube videos and plugs in numbers that look cool and " just feel right?" You guys are behind on the times. You guys are using "formulas" smh.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »