Home

NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #153
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: NBA 2K15 New Shot Meter Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
From that last response he responded to me I get it now. The meter is just the teaching tool to show you which particular shots you have a hard time hitting the particular shot. The target to hit perfect release will be harder, or easier depending on all of those factors he mentioned, open, contest, shot fatigue, hot spot, cold spot and rating.

The game is teaching casuals, sim guys and we don't even realize it yet. The guys who know the releases and knows the plays how to execute the offense to the strength of their players will be rewarded the most. The game is rewarding your NBA knowledge as long as you can transfer some of your stick skills as well.
To me with Russ' example it will stop every player from looking alike no matter where they are on the floor. Jimmy Butler's abilities won't be as on point as Melo's in the same situation. You can try but the level of success is much much lower.

So the example, you know RWB's shot at the elbow/ft line area is definitely him...but try doing that same thing with Kyrie Irving and the results just arent the same so RWB looks like RWB more than anyone else.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #154
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
The game is teaching casuals, sim guys and we don't even realize it yet. The guys who know the releases and knows the plays how to execute the offense to the strength of their players will be rewarded the most. The game is rewarding your NBA knowledge as long as you can transfer some of your stick skills as well.
This is a great point. Up to now, 2K has only informed you of bad shots after the fact somewhat vaguely and rewarded you too often for them. It didn't reinforce the idea that a shot might be bad earlier, though sim guys and basketball nerds can see the bad shot coming. The meter gives you much more dynamic information even as you're setting up the shot.

It makes me wonder what would happen if the ball handler had the shot meter on all the time that constantly fluctuated. Could be too much handholding and visually distracting however

Does the shot meter change as defenders close out for guys with long animations?
Old 08-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #155
MVP

Speaking of timing of animations, I always thought it a bit silly that guys prided themselves in knowing releases and wanting the game to be less accessible for those who didn't when knowing a player's release has no real basketball analog. It's really kind of a weird meta game for a basketball sim.

Sure, it's nice and rewarding knowing your own team, but it's just jarring being incompetent switching to another, at least for a bit. I always have to apologize for being crap playing a different team, or apologize for the game when my opponent doesn't know the releases of theirs. My friend recently told me I changed his 2K life when I'd simply pointed out the flashing circle for learning releases put in a few years ago. I know some folks didn't want that in either. :P
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #156
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Speaking of timing of animations, I always thought it a bit silly that guys prided themselves in knowing releases and wanting the game to be less accessible for those who didn't when knowing a player's release has no real basketball analog. It's really kind of a weird meta game for a basketball sim.

Sure, it's nice and rewarding knowing your own team, but it's just jarring being incompetent switching to another, at least for a bit. I always have to apologize for being crap playing a different team, or apologize for the game when my opponent doesn't know the releases of theirs. My friend recently told me I changed his 2K life when I'd simply pointed out the flashing circle for learning releases put in a few years ago. I know some folks didn't want that in either. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Zigzag cheese is gone. We specifically put in other measures to counter it.
Quote:
Strategy and shot selection are absolutely more important than stick skills. Da Czar has proven this and caused me to have to re-tune the shot timing system several times to compensate. He knows the plays inside and out like the back of his hand and can breakdown the defense better than anyone I've seen play our game. He's no slouch on the sticks either so it was a deadly combo. We went back and forth with several iterations and I'm confident we're in a good spot with the balance. At least, I haven't heard any complaints from him recently.

If you run plays and get fantastic looks but suck at timing you can still do pretty well. If you take bad shots but are amazing at timing, you'll do okay for a while but will probably lose. If you can manage to do both like Czar you'll be vicious in 15. If you're bad at both, then you might have to bump the diff. to Rookie.
I can't put a percentage on it, but for many online players, it being a contest of hand-eye coordination and controller wizardry, is far and away of paramount importance. Running sets to get quality looks and playing to the strength of your personnel is of far less consequence. Someone else know all the plays of a team, in their opinion is not the same kind of accomplishment as them know the release points of all the players on a team. In other words stick skills>knowledge base.

That why those quotes by Beluba are so interesting. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that those us who are basically just Association players, would maybe play online some/more if controller wizardry didn't allow players to have such great success even if they play nonsensically.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #157
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
That why those quotes by Beluba are so interesting. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that those us who are basically just Association players, would maybe play online some/more if controller wizardry didn't allow players to have such great success even if they play nonsensically.
See, it's not even just controller wizardry that wins online games. It's knowing how to cheese, what animations to exploit, what overpowered defensive set to leave on, and what real life basketball instincts to ignore.

Of course stick skills are required-- you need fast response and instincts to pull off some NBA level playmaking-- and I've been destroyed by guys with great iso stick skills while also playing a game that actually kind of resembles real life basketball. Competent isomotion also requires a fair amount of stick finess.

It's when cheese and meta-gaming matters more than sound basketball decisions and iq that bothers me and drags the game down online. I love that this year's design is focused on combatting much of it. I also hope these measures aren't nerfed online because last year's online play wasn't as balanced or realistic as we had hoped.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #158
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
The meter is active for all manually releasable shots, including post jumpers. But not layups. My shots engineer and I experimented with it and decided the world is not ready for that.
But it's coming???

As an option for layups next year maybe??

*prays* lol

But really...if you added this on layups this would help define skill vs luck
Old 08-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #159
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
See, it's not even just controller wizardry that wins online games. It's knowing how to cheese, what animations to exploit, what overpowered defensive set to leave on, and what real life basketball instincts to ignore.

Of course stick skills are required-- you need fast response and instincts to pull off some NBA level playmaking-- and I've been destroyed by guys with great iso stick skills while also playing a game that actually kind of resembles real life basketball. Competent isomotion also requires a fair amount of stick finess.

It's when cheese and meta-gaming matters more than sound basketball decisions and iq that bothers me and drags the game down online. I love that this year's design is focused on combatting much of it. I also hope these measures aren't nerfed online because last year's online play wasn't as balanced or realistic as we had hoped.
You and the post before you have just made the best posts (outside of dev posts) of the day. I have always broken the player types into two groups. Video game guys who want total control, total player movement control, immediate response time, dribble stick quickness 120 percent on ball defense as guys who place stick skills first, because stick skills has little to do with basketball iq and strategy. Stick skills are the equivalent of athleticism to me. You need a certain level to get into the league but it shouldnt make gerald green better than larry bird.

The second group is the nba guy who only plays sports video games and his main interest is exploting mismatches, implementing strategy and trying to replicate what he or she sees when they watch games. This guy is usually older and a little grumpier when it comes to playstyle.

The video game guys know all the winning animations and ins and outs of the game. They dominate online bball. The grumpy nba guys can compete with startegy and bball knowledge, but 2k over the years have always made stick skills most important.

I dont mind losing to a guy that knows bball and happens to have better stick skills than me, but when it is someone who drops 30 points a game with dennis schroeder or cartier martin because they have mastered shot releases, animations and can score 100 plus while running zero offense. It makes me realize why I still play 2k11 every summer. Hopefully, 2k15 will bring strategy back.

Beluba seems to be taking away the animation abuse and I appreciate that. 2k15 seems to be what we all want.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes

Last edited by alabamarob; 08-16-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #160
Banned

OVR: 0

Looks and sounds like we are getting a TRUE basketball simulation game this year! Thank you!
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »