Home

Staff Roundtable: Madden NFL 12 Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on Staff Roundtable: Madden NFL 12 Demo Impressions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #193
Banned

IntellectualAssassin's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Staff Roundtable: Madden NFL 12 Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Realism is subjective.
You lost me here haha
Old 08-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #194
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntellectualAssassin
You lost me here haha
How so? Everyone's perception of football realism is quite different.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #195
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
A similar effect occurred around here with Inside Drive. And that game essentially "died" from lack of broad interest, rather than exclusivity. For years there were people harping that NBA2K and Live couldn't touch Inside Drive's tendency features, and many hardcore ID fans would argue it was a better basketball game because of it. It took 2K and Live putting that argument to sleep permanantly to quiet any talk of ID.

I'd agree w/you that there's a bit of revisionist history that occurs when it comes to 2K5; it was far from perfect. At the same time, it seems it does compare somewhat favorably to Madden 12, which is pretty ridiculous at this point. The thing most responsible for 2K5's enduring legacy is Madden itself. And the longer it takes Madden to put 2K5 to rest, the more it enhances 2K5's legacy imo
As far as Madden 12 vs. 2k5, personally i think that argument has been put to bed. Well in theory, as I haven't played the M12 retail version yet.

I think what drives 2k5's enduring legacy has nothing to do with the actual game of Madden, but the anger that revolves around the license deal itself. Which I understand. What I don't understand is why EA is solely blamed for that deal. As if EA somehow had the ability to strong arm the NFL in to making that deal. Stupid.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #196
Banned

IntellectualAssassin's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
How so? Everyone's perception of football realism is quite different.
Well it shouldn't be. Anyone who says the player movement in Madden is realistic should lose all credibility in the conversation.

Quote:
I think what drives 2k5's enduring legacy has nothing to do with the actual game of Madden, but the anger that revolves around the license deal itself.
I'm sure that has something to do with it for some people, but you can't honestly say that we would still be talking about 2K5 if Madden was where it should be by now, ergo Madden failing to improve is what makes us still consider 2K5 to be great. Which is sad, because as spankdatazz said, it's ridiculous that 2K5 is still in the conversation of best football game in 2011.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #197
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Well it shouldn't be. Anyone who says the player movement in Madden is realistic should lose all credibility in the conversation.

I'm sure that has something to do with it for some people, but you can't honestly say that we would still be talking about 2K5 if Madden was where it should be by now, ergo Madden failing to improve is what makes us still consider 2K5 to be great. Which is sad, because as spankdatazz said, it's ridiculous that 2K5 is still in the conversation of best football game in 2011.
cosign
2k5 is 7 years old, and its now that people are comparing the Madden 12 demo to 2k5. I had said the Madden 12 demo reminded me of APF2k8. but
2k8 was a port of 2k5.

all I have to say is, if Madden 12 can remind folks of 2k5 or finally pass 2k5 then thats huge leap for Madden and us 2k fans who've been wanting/fiending for a football title to replace 2k5 on the current consoles (PS3/360).

I like the demo cant wait for the retail to be released. I have great hopes that this will be the year that I can get my NFL fix in all its glory, reminiscent of 2k5's glory days.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #198
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
I thought we threw realism out the door when we sat down to play a video game. If you want a realistic game of football, get some friends together and go play outside?

Nevertheless, determining the "realism" of a video game is indeed subjective; some of us have more (or less) insight as to what goes on on a football field than others, some of us want a low-scoring defensive chess match, some of us want domed high-scoring track meets, some of us want to grind it out with the run, some of us want to air it out all day. If someone doesn't get his desired result out of the game, he deems it "unrealistic" because it doesn't do what he expects it to do, whereas someone else with a different ideal can just as well call the same result the unsatisfied user got "realistic". How is that NOT subjective?

To your point, an argument that player movement in Madden is realistic insofar as the players walk, run, strafe, play zone coverage, run route, block, shed blocks, jump, catch, tackle, break tackles, etc. etc. None of the movements the players make are non-football movements; you don't see Sonic the Hedgehog flippy jumps, for example.

Quote:
The argument that Madden is not a better game than it was even a year ago, let alone five or six, is simply bananas.

And let's be honest, many people still talk about the other game because they are still bitter at the exclusive license situation and that has soured their respective opinions on the Madden franchise.

For the record, I really enjoyed the demo.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #199
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
As compared to 2k5? Again purely subjective. Realism in a football game is different for everyone..

Quote:
I believe we would still be talking about 2k5 no matter how great it was. I believe there are people here, who even if EA made the greatest football game ever made would still criticize it and compare it to 2k5 simply because of the license.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #200
MVP

OVR: 16
I'm going to have to find a used copy of APF2K8 or something because I have to see what all this incessant cheerleading is all about

Begs the question why there are so many people who hate EA and Madden who insist on still coming on the Madden boards griping and complaining.

We understand you don't like Madden, cool, fair enough, but is it really necessary to continually post on this side seemingly trying to convince people that you're right and they're wrong? I feel like I'm being approached by an argumentative Jehovah's witness on a bicycle every time I enter a thread that goes down this 2K vs EA road.

I loved 2K5 it was a great game, especially at the price, but if I want to talk about how great it was I'd do so in the 2K section of the boards.

Last edited by bichettehappens; 08-13-2011 at 08:28 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »