Home

The Official OS New England Patriots Haterz Club

This is a discussion on The Official OS New England Patriots Haterz Club within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #1273
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: The Official OS New England Patriots Haterz Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
No, those thoughts are sincere. They once again embarrassed themselves and now will forever be viewed as dirty/cheap until Brady and Belichick move on.
Ah thanks, I wasn't sure as I know you're a big Patriots fan so I thought the tone might've been sarcastic. Sorry for misreading that. Yeah, I agree with you on this as well. You're one of the real good fans i've encountered here and it sucks that shenanigans like this keep cropping up with BB/Brady.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #1274
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Another good point being brought up is that because it's easier to gripe and hold deflated footballs it makes it less likely for running backs to fumble. Kinda of helpful in a wet, cold game. Especially with some of the Patriot RB's that have a history of fumbling problems.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 01-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #1275
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
11 of 12 Pats balls were deflated by 2lbs.

It's obvious they did something. Should this be the end of Belichick?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Not reading through this thread. I think he should get suspended for an entire year. $1,000,000 fine to the Pats. Loss of 1 number 1 pick and a reduction of 10% for 3 years in their salary cap. This guy needs to be shown that he is not above the League.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #1276
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Want to make a point here.

Jerry Rice says "11 of 12 balls under-inflated can anyone spell cheating #Just Saying".

But four days ago on ESPN, referring to his days playing, he says with a big smile on his face " I know this might be a little illegal guys, I just put a little spray, a little Stickum on em, just to make sure that texture is a little sticky"

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12183975 (1:20-ish)

How is this any different? The GOAT admitting to cheating to give himself an advantage in his day, yet not OK in todays game.

Stickum was banned in the NFL in 1981. Rice was drafted in 1985.

If it was Terry Bradshaw or Dan Marino, Brett Farve or Joe Montana saying, you know guys back in my day, I used to take a little air out of the ball to get a better grip on a cold game, nobody would bat an eye. If Peyton retires at the end of the year and says he did the same thing on a few cold games, no one would care or even consider it cheating.

Am I missing anything? How is this different in any way shape or form to what Rice did? Yet he's calling them out?
Old 01-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #1277
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
Am I missing anything? How is this different in any way shape or form to what Rice did? Yet he's calling them out?
It comes down to the balls are checked pregame and half time. If they pass, then they are fine. Every game the QBs and equipment managers rough up the balls. They are checked by the refs and then should not be touched. The Pats modified them after the review.

Putting stuff on gloves could be checked in games and people have been caught for that. Some players have been caught for putting stuff on their jersey so it was harder to block them.

Last edited by p_rushing; 01-21-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #1278
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
I think it's different because it's more elaborate and deceitful. The Patriots gave the officials footballs 2+ hours before the game that were checked and approved as being appropriately inflated. At some point after that the balls were deflated, meaning this is a scheme involving multiple people and OK'd by Belichick and Brady.

It's one thing of one player acts on his own (like Rice) and sprays stickem on a ball or cooking spray on their uniform to be more slippery. An appropriate analogy to that would be if a head coach handed a can of cooking spray to a lowly team employee in the locker room and told him to go around to each player spraying their uniform before they took the field.

Another reason, of course, is because this is the Patriots and their black cloud history is playing a role.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 01-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #1279
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

My peewee football coach used to take our QB's hands and stick them in a bag of maple syrup before the game and at the half so he wouldn't drop the ball on handoffs, lol. Pretty sure he was doing community service

He probably works for the Patriots now

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 01-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #1280
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Why is BB involved? Why would he even be involved? If Brady wants this done, why would he even inform Bill? Whose to say Brady didn't act alone and throw the ball boy a few bills to take a little air out of the ball?

I don't think MLB pitchers inform their coach when they are doctoring the ball.

In terms of whether or not it is elaborate, what does it matter? In both cases the player was cheating to get a better grip on the ball.

In my mind, this is on Brady more than Belicheck. He's the QB, he is touching the ball every snap, he's the one making the call on how he wants his balls. The coach is likely as much responsible for this as coaches do when players get caught with PED's...probably not at all. Probably not brought into the loop.

Last edited by Trevytrev11; 01-21-2015 at 04:21 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »