Home

Greatest Teams of the 2000s

This is a discussion on Greatest Teams of the 2000s within the NCAA Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-08-2023, 08:49 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Greatest Teams of the 2000s

Alright, I played my "National Championship" game. 2005 Texas vs. 2001 Miami at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. I just imagined Keith Jackson and Bob Griese on the call.

I played as Miami. Super fun team and I think they're the greatest college team of this era.

Texas won the opening toss and deferred to the second half. I took the ball and proceeded to drive straight down the field, culminating with a one yard TD run by Najeh Davenport. 7-0 Miami.

My gameplan on defense was inspired by Bill Belichick. Take away what Texas does best: Vince Young running the ball. That meant putting a lot of speed on the field (playing almost exclusively Nickel and Dime, and usually a 3-3-5 Nickel). Keep Young in the pocket, make him hand the ball off on option plays, make him throw the ball. If he beats us with his arm we'll live with that, if he beats us with his legs we'll feel like morons.

Texas ripped off a big Jamaal Charles run to get into the redzone but their drive stalled out and they settled for a field goal. 7-3 Miami.

The next drive was a quick strike as Andre Johnson got behind the corner on a deep route for a 50 yard gain and then caught a touchdown two plays later. 14-3 Miami at the end of the first quarter.

Texas answered with a touchdown on their next drive as Young found Romence Taylor. 14-10 Miami.

I answered with another touchdown drive, ending with another Najeh Davenport touchdown run. 21-10 Miami. I managed to stop Texas on their last drive of the half and went into the locker room with a 21-10 lead.

And then the game swung on the second half kickoff, as Texas fumbled and I recovered inside the 20. I immediately hit Andre Johnson to get down inside the five and Clinton Portis scored the next play. 28-10 Miami, Texas is in big trouble now.

No scoring for the rest of the quarter as both defenses asserted themselves. I put the game to rest on the first play of the fourth quarter with a nine yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Shockey. 35-10 Hurricanes, game over.

Texas got a late TD as Vince Young found Nate Jones in the endzone to cut it to 35-17 and that was our final. 2001 Miami are the National Champions. The Hurricanes are crowned as the greatest college football team of the 21st century.

Andre Johnson was Player of the Game as he caught nine passes for 166 yards and a touchdown. He set up two other touchdowns with big plays.

Defensive Player of the Game was Jonathan Vilma, who had 11 tackles and a Tackle for Loss. Matt Walters, Andrew Williams, and Chris Campbell all had sacks.

Kevin Beard was Special Teams Player of the Game as he both forced and recovered the fumble on the kickoff that was Play of the Game.

Not the most thrilling championship game but without the kickoff fumble it might have gone differently. Texas not getting any points on their opportunity to double up before and after the half and instead giving up a touchdown broke their back.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:55 PM   #34
Rookie

2007 Hawaii and 2019 Memphis added. Two very good teams that crashed the party and made it to major bowl games as teams from non-major conferences.

Hawaii had an undefeated regular season before getting hammered by Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. They're a Run and Shoot team with Colt Brennan slinging the ball to Davone Bess and the rest of their talented receivers. One of the more pass heavy teams on the roster, I believe Brennan threw the ball over 50 times per game on average. Got to love June Jones.

Memphis finished 12-2, won the American Conference Championship, and lost the Cotton Bowl to Penn State. They've got Antonio Gibson (at Wide Receiver, which he played in college) and Kenny Gainwell at Running Back.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:40 PM   #35
Rookie

2001 Fresno State added. They shocked the college football world with three consecutive upsets over Colorado, Oregon State, and Wisconsin to open the season. They themselves fell prey to an upset against Boise State and then surprisingly lost their bowl game to an unranked Michigan State team. Still, they finished 11-3 for one of the best seasons in school history.

They've got David Carr throwing the ball to Bernard Berrian and a number of NFL players on their defense. Definitely a dangerous team.

On another note I've started playing a season with 2013 Michigan State. I'm 6-0 with wins over 2022 Eastern Michigan, 2009 Central Michigan, 2012 Notre Dame, 2018 South Florida, 2000 Illinois, and 2018 Minnesota. I've got a bye week and then my huge rivalry game against 2021 Michigan, should be a real battle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2023, 02:11 PM   #36
Rookie

Ran my MSU season record all the way to 11-0 with wins over Michigan and Ohio State before suffering the most heartbreaking loss I've ever had in this game.

I had the lead on Penn State 26-22 with them at their own 22 yard line with two seconds left. Miraculously Deon Butler got behind Darqueze Dennard and scored a 78 yard TD as time expired for Penn State to win 27-22. I was in man coverage with three deep safeties, no idea where they were on this play.

I'll settle for playing USC in the Rose Bowl but I was really hoping for a spot in the Playoff.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:42 AM   #37
Rookie

2016 Temple and 2015 San Diego State added. Both teams were easy because most of the players were already on the roster.

I'm going to work on 2002 Marshall next. Byron Leftwich slinging the ball all over the field.

Not sure how many more teams I'll do, we're starting to get to the end of what feels like it's really worth it. I think I might just give some teams their key guys (Nevada has Kaepernick, Utah State Jordan Love, etc).
Old 08-15-2023, 06:39 PM   #38
Rookie

2002 Marshall added. Byron Leftwich's senior year produced a MAC Championship and a bowl win over Louisville.
Old 08-20-2023, 10:31 PM   #39
Rookie

I'm done with this roster for now if anyone wants to convert it.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:53 PM   #40
MVP

jorge380's Arena

OVR: 13

An offline file would be pretty cool. Thanks for your work

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters »