Home

NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

This is a discussion on NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #473
Rookie

tfin1212's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by crques
You might have mentioned this before cb, but what level are you playing on, camera angle are you using, and have you adjusted any sliders? I've been trying to like this game for 4 days now and I'm struggling to do so. I've tried different levels and teams and I'm just not having fun with it. One of my biggest problems is that the animations feel like they are computer controlled and once I start making a move to the basket I know longer control my guy or what happens. It's almost like I'm sucked into one of those special moves that players used to do on the old Sega Genesis NBA games. Something just looks and feels odd about the game to me. The player models are awkward looking and the jumpshots look really funny.
I completely agree. The animations dominate the game and the jumpshots and blocked shots look really weird, not to mention the CPU fouls jumpshooters way too much.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #474
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfin1212
I completely agree. The animations dominate the game and the jumpshots and blocked shots look really weird, not to mention the CPU fouls jumpshooters way too much.
with the settings I have, I don't see the cpu fouling jumpshooters at an unrealistic pace. My last game @Minnesota, I shot a total of 3 free throws for the game. In a game against Lamar, I shot 20 something. I average 11 free throws a game. Not too shabby for me.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 11-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #475
Banned

OVR: 14

Played another game. I took my Umass Minutemen against GW. I'm playing AA 10 minute halfs just messing around right now. I won 46-40. I like the game so far. It's definately rough around the edges. The transitions and stuff are very choppy. I also think it's a tad too easy. I realize EA is trying to get a college feel here but the defense seems lax to me compared to live especially at the point of attack. PLayers rotate and get in the lane cut you off, which is nice but I've noticed players get clumped up and miss assignments sometimes and you get a clear lane way too often. The spacing isnt as good as live(i dont know if that has to do with DNA and having authentic sets or what), but players get clumped.. Also no vibration on free throws? Also fg%'s appear to be all over the place so far. I also hate that my guy will just shoot it when upfaking when trapped(this is obviously a bug).

I realize this is the first year where NCAA really changed their formula. All that said and it sounds negative, but I do like the game. The flow of the game is real good once you get used tot he control and the atmosphere and all of that is sweet. I see things in this game that are just so real and authentic. It's too bad the transitions are so choppy because it takes you out of the atmosphere... GAme needs another patch and to be smoothed out quite a bit. But I like it. Not quite as much as Live so far(it doesnt feel as far along), but it's a nice little game. College hoops 2k8 might be better, but who knows, and give this game a year. It's a fun game and definately enjoyable. Just dont nitpick too much.

Last edited by Walker8; 11-29-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #476
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34

I just lost with the UC Bearcats at Duke and it was a very good game playing 15 min halfs. Lost by 2 in the last min on ALL Conference. What's really crazy is the stats matched up with the players real life stats for the most part. During the game I felt that I was gonna get whacked stats and they were dead on. Go figure. Game is a lot better than what people give it credit for. I do feel it's easy at times but just when I get that feeling I lose. Peace!!!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #477
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKYWALKER1
I just lost with the UC Bearcats at Duke and it was a very good game playing 15 min halfs. Lost by 2 in the last min on ALL Conference. What's really crazy is the stats matched up with the players real life stats for the most part. During the game I felt that I was gonna get whacked stats and they were dead on. Go figure. Game is a lot better than what people give it credit for. I do feel it's easy at times but just when I get that feeling I lose. Peace!!!!!
I think they patch it J, and fix a lot of the annoying little nuances and it will. At least from me. I can see what this game brings. But my initial impressions is that there are a lot of little bugs that need cleaning up. It's also pretty barebones. The core game is here though.... Live was kind of the same way at first. it was a cool refreshing thing but had a lot of bugs and weird stuff. They patched it and its unreal. I'm hoping for the same from this game because it could be even better.

Last edited by Walker8; 11-29-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:28 AM   #478
Rookie

OVR: 2

Just played my first 6 games on All-Conference, 3 against the CPU, and 4 against a friend. I played 12 minute halfs against the CPU and 10 min halves against a human.

CPU games (the team i played with is the first team named)

USC 41, NC STATE 48
OU 68, MISS. ST 65 (OT)
UNC 88, GW 68

Games v.s. Human
UNC 64, Okla. St. 62
UNC 89, Texas 83 (OT)
UNC 66, OU 60
UNC 63, Texas 68
Old 11-30-2008, 01:59 AM   #479
Banned

Just played my first game online. I dont know if it was just the guy i was playing but this game apparently shines online lol. I played an overtime classic, I was Umass, he had Dayton in a rivalry and I won in OT. It was a great game and i had a slight lead all game and lead by like 2 the whole game. It was amazingly fun and very realistic. Trying to play to your teams strengths and your own style at the same time is very interesting online. There was no cheese whatsoever and it was just a fun experience. MAybe it was just the guy i played against i dont know but it was a great first impression.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:10 AM   #480
Banned

Played a game after the fact same teams against the cpu. Really liking this game at this point. It's rough around the edges as previously mentioned. Still some silly bugs here and there. Guys shoot when you are upfaking stuff but really starting to love this game. EA is back.... From a feature set this game might be lacking in certain regards but all the basics are there, and the gameplay is really great at its core. Talk about underrated games but Live and NCAA are really on their way. This game is incredibly fun to play and very realistic and just needs ot be tuned up a bit.

Last edited by Walker8; 11-30-2008 at 03:15 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »