Home

NBA 2K Rating Stock Watch!

This is a discussion on NBA 2K Rating Stock Watch! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-23-2021, 06:57 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: NBA 2K Rating Stock Watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
The eye test factors in for tendencies and plays used and being run for me. Finishing moves, euro steps, spin, floaters, drive tendencies, in the post moves, triple threat jab steps, stepback jumpers, spot up 3’s versus off the dribble, and contested jumpers, etc. Then fit them into ranges where they use it the game more often than not. Some of that their is analytics on and some not. Like I said using both is the ultimate.
Analytics is important for quantifying a lot of that. If I had to guess, "Eye Test" is precisely why we have a bunch of Stars in 2K blanketed w/ Gold Badges that they don't deserve.

Per 36 Minutes
Kyrie Irving: 6.3 Pull Ups, 1.0 Stepbacks
Kevin Durant: 5.9 Pull Ups, 0.3 Stepbacks
Patty Mills: 4.1 Pull Ups, 0.7 Stepbacks
Joe Harris: 2.1 Pull Ups, 0.4 Stepbacks
Jevon Carter: 1.8 Pull Ups, 1.0 Stepbacks
James Harden: 1.4 Pull Ups, 4.7 Stepbacks
Blake Griffin: 0.9 Pull Ups, 0.6 Stepbacks
LaMarcus Aldridge: 0.9 Pull Ups, 0.3 Stepbacks
Bruce Brown: 0.2 Pull Ups, 0.0 Stepbacks

Circus Threes (Stepback Threes badge)
Gold: Kevin Durant, James Harden, Kyrie Irving
Silver: None
Bronze: None
None: Rest of Team

Difficult Shots (Pullups badge)
Silver: LaMarcus Aldridge
Bronze: Joe Harris, Patty Mills, Cameron Thomas

Harden Stepbacks
As far as Stepbacks go in the NBA Harden & Luka (5.5 per 36) are basically on another planet compared to everyone else. James Harden takes 12x more Stepbacks than Kevin Durant and 4x more than Kyrie, yet these three all have the same badge quality.

You can't glean frequency data w/ the eye test. You can get a rough feel for it, but having tangible data like this is so much more valuable. It also took far less time for me to compile all that data for every player than it would be to watch every player and take a shot in the dark on their frequency. It's a lot easier to find tape on James Harden than it is to find on Patty Mills, much less Chris Chiozza. Time is a finite resource for us humans.

No Mid-Tier in 2K
2K is pretty all-or-nothing w/ their badge assessments. The gap between Kyrie Irving and Patty Mills is extremely pronounced in-game, yet this isn't the case at all IRL. Mills is basically on par w/ Joe Harris as an off-dribble shot maker in 2K yet is clearly a tier above him in this regard.

LaMarcus Aldridge
The fact that LaMarcus Aldridge has SILVER "Difficult Shots" is not only a gross misunderstanding of his game (he was assisted on 96% of his jumpers last season), but how NBA players function at even a base level.

Practically every Point Guard in the league should have Difficult Shots at some level, because even the bad ones still take a large chunk of their shots in those situations. Jevon Carter's numbers aren't abnormal. That's the baseline for an NBA Point Guard.

30 years ago all we had were the stats on basketball cards. Nowadays we have a million cameras tracking every play of every game in an effort to provide context. We now have the tools to hone in on exactly what to look for once we do go to the video tape.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters

Last edited by Real2KInsider; 10-23-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:03 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
Does Mitchell have the potential to rose above a Avery Bradley type? Ive only seen highlights. Can he even get to a Marcus Smart level on offense?
The real question is whether Marcus Smart can get to a Davion Mitchell level on offense! But I digress.

The Kings lineups have been confusing so far, because they've treated Mitchell more as a backup SG than a backup PG. He's been coming in for Haliburton & playing NEXT to Fox (32 mins so far, his #3 most common teammate).

Clearly they are high on his defense, but I don't know that he's a good enough shooter at this point to really make that work offensively (he is 0-6 3pt so far). It took Smart 5 years to get to that point.

Bradley had no PG skills at all beyond his defense, offensively he was a SG from the jump through and through. The numbers never really back him up defensively either. He "plays hard" but the actual results (stops) have never really stood out.

I don't think I've seen a defender that tenacious since Tony Allen, and this is only two games. Allen ended up making 6 All-Defensive teams once he was able to crack a starting lineup (Age 29).

Shooting nights for
Dame: 20 pts (8-24 FG, 0-9 3PT)
CJ: 34 pts (14-24 FG, 6-11 3PT)
Mitchell: 27 pts (9-25 FG, 6-14 3PT), 5 TOs
Clarkson: 15 pts (6-19 FG, 2-11 3PT)

Maybe the most important figure is that the Kings are 19th defensively ATM and were the worst defensive team in NBA history last season.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters

Last edited by Real2KInsider; 10-23-2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #35
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Im the same way. I trust my eyes, film study, and scouting. Numbers don’t tell the whole story. It might give you the percentages but not the intangibles. The roll players play, how they fit in system, aggressiveness, how they are being used, etc…

But room for both analytics and eye test is the ultimate best results.
I'm cool with analytics. I'm not against it. I'm more on the side of "I want the player to play like they do in real life" I've been saying it for years. Totally agree with getting line ups in order and other stuff. It's just some times I we get to wrapped up in the numbers. We have to understand it's a video game and we have casual fans out there. I'm all for making it real. But I don't want the arcade game we've been getting to lately. Which I think we can agree on.

I'd really love to fix Curry. The dribble isolation **** I've been seeing needs to go. That's not the only way he scores. I think an adjustment to badges could fix some things. But at this point that ship has sailed a long time ago
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #36
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real2KInsider
Analytics is important for quantifying a lot of that. If I had to guess, "Eye Test" is precisely why we have a bunch of Stars in 2K blanketed w/ Gold Badges that they don't deserve.

Per 36 Minutes
Kyrie Irving: 6.3 Pull Ups, 1.0 Stepbacks
Kevin Durant: 5.9 Pull Ups, 0.3 Stepbacks
Patty Mills: 4.1 Pull Ups, 0.7 Stepbacks
Joe Harris: 2.1 Pull Ups, 0.4 Stepbacks
Jevon Carter: 1.8 Pull Ups, 1.0 Stepbacks
James Harden: 1.4 Pull Ups, 4.7 Stepbacks
Blake Griffin: 0.9 Pull Ups, 0.6 Stepbacks
LaMarcus Aldridge: 0.9 Pull Ups, 0.3 Stepbacks
Bruce Brown: 0.2 Pull Ups, 0.0 Stepbacks

Circus Threes (Stepback Threes badge)
Silver: None
Bronze: None
None: Rest of Team

Difficult Shots (Pullups badge)
Silver: LaMarcus Aldridge
Bronze: Joe Harris, Patty Mills, Cameron Thomas

Harden Stepbacks
As far as Stepbacks go in the NBA Harden & Luka (5.5 per 36) are basically on another planet compared to everyone else. James Harden takes 12x more Stepbacks than Kevin Durant and 4x more than Kyrie, yet these three all have the same badge quality.

You can't glean frequency data w/ the eye test. You can get a rough feel for it, but having tangible data like this is so much more valuable. It also took far less time for me to compile all that data for every player than it would be to watch every player and take a shot in the dark on their frequency. It's a lot easier to find tape on James Harden than it is to find on Patty Mills, much less Chris Chiozza. Time is a finite resource for us humans.

No Mid-Tier in 2K
2K is pretty all-or-nothing w/ their badge assessments. The gap between Kyrie Irving and Patty Mills is extremely pronounced in-game, yet this isn't the case at all IRL. Mills is basically on par w/ Joe Harris as an off-dribble shot maker in 2K yet is clearly a tier above him in this regard.

LaMarcus Aldridge
The fact that LaMarcus Aldridge has SILVER "Difficult Shots" is not only a gross misunderstanding of his game (he was assisted on 96% of his jumpers last season), but how NBA players function at even a base level.

Practically every Point Guard in the league should have Difficult Shots at some level, because even the bad ones still take a large chunk of their shots in those situations. Jevon Carter's numbers aren't abnormal. That's the baseline for an NBA Point Guard.

30 years ago all we had were the stats on basketball cards. Nowadays we have a million cameras tracking every play of every game in an effort to provide context. We now have the tools to hone in on exactly what to look for once we do go to the video tape.
Yes those were the specific ones I was talking about with stepbacks and pull ups and even contested jumpers (although 2k contest and analytics contests can vary), all that we have analytics on.

My point is (I’m watching Pacers Vs heat now) 3rd pacer game I’ve seen so far. Duarte is a flat out aggressive scorer. Pull up jumpers, stepback 3 and mid, opportunistic and getting easy baskets on cuts (should also have cutter play type). I don’t need any stats to see any of that. Lol! But trust me I’m on your analytic side as well. Another example is who on pacers do you give spin move finish too? If you were to name 2? What about euro finish? I got it in my notes but that’s my point. Eye test is huge. It’s also why we go watch games instead of film when recruiting players. I can see way more sitting courtside than I can on film. And I can see way more on film than I can in reviewing numbers. Like what kind of shots are taken? Are they good shots, forced shots, fadeaways (I know there is a stat for that too). But you get the idea… do they go left or right? Etcetera etc…
Old 10-23-2021, 08:14 PM   #37
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
Yes those were the specific ones I was talking about with stepbacks and pull ups and even contested jumpers (although 2k contest and analytics contests can vary), all that we have analytics on.

My point is (I’m watching Pacers Vs heat now) 3rd pacer game I’ve seen so far. Duarte is a flat out aggressive scorer. Pull up jumpers, stepback 3 and mid, opportunistic and getting easy baskets on cuts (should also have cutter play type). I don’t need any stats to see any of that. Lol! But trust me I’m on your analytic side as well. Another example is who on pacers do you give spin move finish too? If you were to name 2? What about euro finish? I got it in my notes but that’s my point. Eye test is huge. It’s also why we go watch games instead of film when recruiting players. I can see way more sitting courtside than I can on film. And I can see way more on film than I can in reviewing numbers. Like what kind of shots are taken? Are they good shots, forced shots, fadeaways (I know there is a stat for that too). But you get the idea… do they go left or right? Etcetera etc…
Haha exactly.... I'm watching Cavs-Hawks and Heat-Pacers right now.

Evan Mobley is sticking out and agree with Chris lol.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #38
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Mitchell’s 1st step is ridiculous! His mid game stepback because defenders are scared of his 1st step will be deadly. His 3 ball will probably come in a few years. Even on draft night I was shocked to see him slide a bit. But it’s his size. I mean we have all seen his defensive abilities in college and summer league. That’s no surprise. It was one of the 1st edits I made in my roster was his defensive badges and ratings before the season even started.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:20 PM   #39
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Haha exactly.... I'm watching Cavs-Hawks and Heat-Pacers right now.

Evan Mobley is sticking out and agree with Chris lol.
Haha I got both on split screen and waiting to add a 3rd here shortly. Actually I think I’m late? I got on here and forgot about mavs and Raptors! Thank you Amazon fire stick and streaming nba pass! Lol
Old 10-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #40
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
Haha I got both on split screen and waiting to add a 3rd here shortly. Actually I think I’m late? I got on here and forgot about mavs and Raptors! Thank you Amazon fire stick and streaming nba pass! Lol
Also Got Herro over here needed a boost. He's been crazy aggressive...

https://twitter.com/swishcultures_/s...5-iyXhsag&s=19

Last edited by jeebs9; 10-24-2021 at 12:43 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »