Home

Angryjoe's 2k take.

This is a discussion on Angryjoe's 2k take. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Angryjoe's 2k take.

He went a bit overboard. There's nothing wrong with weekly incentives or grinding the mode. The visual design of their 'prize games' however, are in very, very poor taste considering its a rated E game. The pachinko machine and slot machine are absolutely ridiculous. Who ok'd that idea?? just lmao
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #26
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusruss
I only watched the first couple minutes of the video, but I don't get the fake outrage. I mean... Super Mario Bros 2 had a slot machine for power ups in it. Who cares?

Of course I also don't understand the appeal of the myteam type stuff in sports video games anyway.
I think in its most basic form it's an interesting idea. There was a time when collecting sports cards was a some what popular hobby. Kids found it fun, much like collecting Pokemon cards, and adults understood that there was a way to make money off it.

Taking that concept and combining it with building your own team like fantasy sports sounds fun in theory but I think it's gotten way out of hand. I think it would just be more fun to start a franchise mode, or even just a season mode, and do a fantasy draft with the whole roster pool. Maybe expand the league and add extra teams if need be.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #27

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Simulated gambling by itself warrents a Teen rating, but no one is going to police that apparently.

2K could smack people in the face with a brick and they'd respond with, "wow, tandem bikes in the park! Thank you, 2K!"

I feel like someone in the know told 2K that there's zero chance legislation regarding loot boxes will lead to anything, so they just don't give a ****.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #28
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
Simulated gambling by itself warrents a Teen rating, but no one is going to police that apparently.

2K could smack people in the face with a brick and they'd respond with, "wow, tandem bikes in the park! Thank you, 2K!"

I feel like someone in the know told 2K that there's zero chance legislation regarding loot boxes will lead to anything, so they just don't give a ****.
“Simulated gambling?” What is “simulated gambling?” Either something is gambling or it isn’t. This is peak fake outrage if I’ve ever seen it. It’s like calling root beer “simulated beer” and slapping an age restriction on it because it looks too similar to the actual thing.

If you want to go after MyTeam packs as a form of loot crates, go ahead. That’s the line, though. Absolutely nothing else in the game can be construed as a “gambling” mechanic, even in the MyTeam mode itself.

Last edited by Kstat; 08-30-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #29
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
I'll take anything I can get to have 2k called out on their BS. MyCareer modes in 18 and 19 sucked because of how much VC they tried to suck out of you, they clearly made the game intentionally worse so that people would spend extra. I dont care too much what side of the argument you fall on these slot machines but I just want 2k to get more bad press, they clearly design these mechanics to get people to spend money not for them to have fun. If we kept building from 2k16, 2k could have been in an amazing place, but instead they went way further down the VC path and the game became a lot more unenjoyable (as a ProAM/Park player).
This might not be a popular view but if people weren't spending money on VC maybe 2K, and other companies, wouldn't be pushing the issue with virtual currency. Gamers have already set the precedent that they are willing to spend money on in game currency. I can't blame 2k or any other company for taking advantage of it.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #30
Pro

triplechin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
This might not be a popular view but if people weren't spending money on VC maybe 2K, and other companies, wouldn't be pushing the issue with virtual currency. Gamers have already set the precedent that they are willing to spend money on in game currency. I can't blame 2k or any other company for taking advantage of it.
Give an inch, they take a mile. The game is so much worse for me because of this. They are not just giving people things to enjoy and spend more money on, they're designing the game to suck money out of consumers. I don't respect that. I see your point but these companies are making ridiculous systems with social engineers and exploiting psychology and stuff for people to pay more. I think it is absurd and not what I want from my video games. Not just specifically 2k, but 2k really pushed it too far in 2k18 and lost all my good will towards them from that point.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Old 08-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #31
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
I'll take anything I can get to have 2k called out on their BS. MyCareer modes in 18 and 19 sucked because of how much VC they tried to suck out of you, they clearly made the game intentionally worse so that people would spend extra. I dont care too much what side of the argument you fall on these slot machines but I just want 2k to get more bad press, they clearly design these mechanics to get people to spend money not for them to have fun. If we kept building from 2k16, 2k could have been in an amazing place, but instead they went way further down the VC path and the game became a lot more unenjoyable (as a ProAM/Park player).
I hate to be that guy, but their sales numbers have been increasing over the past 3-5 years. All this "bad press" does is bring more attention to the game. As a result, you got even more casual basketball fans who normally wouldn't buy the game giving it a thought as to what the big deal is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #32
Pro

triplechin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I hate to be that guy, but their sales numbers have been increasing over the past 3-5 years. All this "bad press" does is bring more attention to the game. As a result, you got even more casual basketball fans who normally wouldn't buy the game giving it a thought as to what the big deal is.
We need real bad press like fans did with Star Wars BF2. Is it likely? No. But still, I gotta hold out hope. I know 2k can make a hell of a game which is why it is even more frustrating that it gets ruined by the VC crap.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »