Home

#SIMNATION Developer Feedback Project

This is a discussion on #SIMNATION Developer Feedback Project within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: #SIMNATION Developer Feedback Project

Release MLO to work 100% properly when the game comes out. This is a very important mode to Sim users, who would rather spend their time building a franchise realistically, than play the RPG or card collecting modes in this game. It's really a shame this mode has so many bugs, which have been covered extensively in another thread.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #18
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
I’d just add...
Allow good defense to matter.
How many times do you play good defense, block a shot, knock a ball loose, or have a great contest that causes a miss, and the offensive player just snatches it right back like he planned for it to happen? All while the guy that played perfect defensive stumbles, acts like he’s never played basketball before, or stumbles his way out of the play.
This can't be stressed enough. There has to be paradigm shift regarding how gameplay rewards defense. The blocks and loose balls that go back to the offense have to die a horrible death. We never need the defensive overcompensating we now see that turns everyone into Deion Sanders in the passing lanes if the defense recovers 80-90% of its good plays like God intended.

http://spgmg.blogspot.com/2018/09/re...g-forward.html

Last edited by Kushmir; 10-17-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #19
Rookie

Fredette's Arena

OVR: 0

Give us presentation-feature to choose between broadcast mode or fast mode (like MLB The Show)

I'm tired of unskippable sequences during a match. Hopefully this feature can be added to shrink time for a full 4x 12 minute game.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 8

Coaches should be editable in all modes including the systems they prefer.

Also the system Proficiency rating that are available in off season free agency for each player should be available on the player cards. Make the accuracy impacted by your scout’s rating if you’d like to take an extra step
Old 10-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #21
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

I might need a week to put all of my thoughts into this thread, but I'll start with the most glaring issue so far with 2K19 in my opinion: black box systems without front-end customization.

Let's start with the ACE system. ACE is the most exciting sim feature that 2K has added on this generation of consoles, but the feature's design has given the community almost no ability to customize the impact on gameplay.

My wish from 2K/VC: Stop releasing core gameplay systems that have broad gameplay impact without including front-end editing options and editor user stories into the development process. There are thousands of users who customize your product which gives the community more resources to produce the experience they desire than your internal team will ever have available. It's obvious they understand this since they have hired directly from this community of editors/modders.

As of now, here's what ACE seems to control for CPU controlled teams:
1. Offensive play calling comes directly from ACE and ignores player tendencies for the majority of the game. At least 50%, but I'd estimate around 60-80% for some teams, of half court offense comes from ACE.
2. Freelance and Series configurations for every team come directly from ACE. Neither can be customized from my experience and make up between 30-60% of half court offense for every CPU controlled team regardless of the Run Plays setting in the Coach Profile.
3. Play calling out of the team's playbook is determined by ACE based on pre-programmed logic of who "should" have plays called for them and what play types those players "should" run. This reduces most play calling from 50 available plays in a playbook to 12-15 plays actually called for some teams. These plays will be called every single game during the same exact periods of time that those players are on the floor.
4. Defensive coach settings come directly from ACE and cannot be customized outside of MyLeague/MyGM/Season modes. There have been many complaints made about the constant double team logic on the perimeter, absence of double teams in the post, absence of help defense on screens and drives, screen defenders not understanding their paint responsibilities, and many more defensive logic issues in this game. Well, these are all coming from the ACE system and it's painfully obvious in Play Now or MyCareer where you can't fix it. Gamers need the option to configure these settings in the Edit Roster menu or ANY mode just like we are able to do in MyLeague/MyGM/Season modes.

I can tell how much hard work Czar and OG put into this ACE system and hope they understand I'm not taking a shot at them for this. ACE is the future we needed as a sim gaming community. It seems like they implemented a great feature and for some reason the team left it incomplete by not implementing the front-end. As a former dev, there's gotta be an internal process to understand what features are needed to include a new system into the game at release. There's always an argument for going Agile with new systems and adding features as they improve, but it shouldn't happen for core systems that touch every aspect of gameplay.

My wish list for ACE in 2K19:
1. Reduce the overall impact of ACE on play calling and let the roster/playbook have a larger role. Example: Add a conditional check at game start for Quarter Length and reduce the ACE Freelance/Series portion as the Quarter Length increases. There's a huge difference in gameplay in 12 min quarters vs default quarter length because it means we see the same plays called for 10-12 plays in a row vs just 5-6 plays on default settings. If the feature is meant for sim gaming, then it should be designed with 12 minute quarters in mind. If 50-80% of plays are called from ACE by default, then lower the number to 20-30% on longer quarter lengths.
2. Remove NBA-level player specific configurations for play calling on the offensive end in MyCareer/MyGM/MyLeague/Season modes. Teams have too many roster combinations to keep up with in these modes for ACE to keep up. There's no reason to have logic that seems hard coded into a game mode that will change so much in terms of player/coach dynamics. I can understand the China/G-League story mode of MyCareer requiring player specific game script, but it has no place in a full NBA 82 game season. We have playbooks, play types, coach profiles, tendencies, and freelance/series to simulate how a team plays already.
3. It probably isn't possible for this release cycle, but add an option to the Settings to turn ACE Play Calling OFF for CPU controlled teams. We already have this option in the menu, but it only applies to User controlled teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2018, 09:13 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 0

I think that 2K20 should be focused on polishing on what is already in the game. And yes i know czar has said many times that tweaking the AI does not sell copies but so much has already been added since moving to nextgen consoles and would probably be best for the long term outlook of the game and enjoyment of the offline gamers if the AI was taught how to better execute and utilize the tools/mechanics it has at its disposal.

PICK AND ROLL
-The AI does not pose a real threat when coming off a ball screen. Due the user being in god mode it is easy to defend. I would like to see the AI set up the ball screen by lowering itself in combination with dribble moves (hesitation, between the legs/behind the back combo).

-I feel like the AI could improve with its ability to actually attack off the screen. They can do a better job of coming tighter off the screen (shoulder to shoulder with screener). It also seems like the AI does not utilize turbo (change of pace) when coming off the screen. Would like them turn the corner,, square their shoulders and get down hill off the screen with more urgency. As it is, the AI seems to be going through the motions when coming off ball screens (and please understand that none of this is a knock toward the dev team, just observations on what i think can improve)

-The AI can improve with maker quicker reads coming off a screen, especially in pick and pop situations. As is, they seem to take one too many dribbles before making the throw back pass.

-Tendencies. I guess all of this could be covered with new pick and roll tendencies. "Reject the screen", "split/snake the screen", "seal/put defender in jail off screen", "look for throw back/roll man", "look for kick out pass", "set up screen with combo dribble" . Just to name a few off the top of my head.

ISOLATION/ATTACKING OFF THE DRIBBLE

The AI has tons of room to improve when trying to get by its man in a 1v1 situation. Again, they pose no real threat unless they have the superior speed advantage. And i can acknowledge that the real culprit in these situations is the current state of the ball handler/defender interactions as well as the prolonged nature of the dribble mechanics.

-The signature dribbles are great but the AI does not utilize them properly as it takes them too long to cancel them out. I would like the AI be able to make quicker reads based on the position of its defender in order to take advantage of angles.

-CHANGE OF DIRECTION/CHANGE OF PACE. Again, the AI's efficiency in this is at the mercy of the ballhandler/defender mechanics. However,i would love the see AI improve in being able to read and use it defenders momentum against them. pro defenders are generally really good at defending your first move towards the basket but good ball handlers are proficient in making counter moves to create desired space.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #23
MVP

wrestlinggod1's Arena

OVR: 13

Instead of having accessory colors for home and away, let them be tied to uniforms. I know the Heat wear black socks anytime they wear their black uniforms, but they'll be white if you wear them at home in 2k.

If a player wears different hairstyles a couple of times a year, have them in a rotation where they'll show up randomly when playing.

Manual bounce passes from the sideline (I know walking the dog is in, but not sure if they're in when inbounding from the sideline)

The ability to pass the ball into an open space, on fast breaks and tight spaces. If you're throwing an alleyoop, it doesn't have to be a huge spectacular thing. Sometimes it may be a little toss over the top of a smaller defender for an easy dunk.

Make the court bigger. Someone on here suggested shrinking everyone by 3 inches and it made a huge difference in spacing.

Better rim sounds/rim interactions on dunks. The whole stanchion doesn't have to shake on every dunk.

There doesn't have to be a "swish" noise after the ball bounces on the rim and goes in. As a matter of fact, the nets need to be a little more visible and maybe longer. It's cool for the net to sometimes get caught on the rim after a nice shot.

Stop resetting the game clock to 2 seconds, when there's less than 2 seconds left.

If someone makes a shot with 1 second or less on the shot clock, still let the buzzer go off.

Make dunking animations quicker when doing power dunks. Sometimes it looks like it's happening in slow motion.

Let's save replays for dead ball situations

Go MIAMI Teams!!

Last edited by wrestlinggod1; 10-17-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
Give us an option if we don't want super arcade gameplay, even if it is just the Combine mode like others have said, give the crowd that is more about playing team ball than sHoT tIMiNg a better option. The gameplay is stale. A separate mode of some kind would be great. Balanced and all the works. If they could do some 2s or 3s like that too that would be cool but could live without it.

In that same vein, give us the option of a shooting system less reliant on timing. Probably close to realistic FG%, but something like this for online players that aren't interested in the 75% sharpshooter meta:

Contextual rating based on shot quality > timing

So maybe if I'm using Curry on an open 3, we can say he hits those about 50% of the time (just making numbers up for the sake of argument).

Excellent timing can be +10%
Good timing can be +5%
Mediocre timing can be -5%
Bad timing can be -10%
Terrible can be -25%

Ignore the specific numbers but that is the general point of the type of shooting I think would be best for the game and for the gameplay to have more variety. They and others with more time can put together more numbers and better reward/penalty increments, but the point is that your timing will still effect the shot, just not too much. And then display your %chance to make the shot on the feedback just like on a free throw. I think this would also allow for really easy tweaks from the devs

That's basically the first step, as I have posted in many suggestion threads. Lower the percentage differential between a really great shot and a really awful shot. Same with heavily contest n no contest. There are no perfect shots in bball, shooting is the most variable aspect even now. That's why you have playoff games where teams lose by 30 cuz everyone is so reliant on deep shots.

Remember that game (was it 2k?) where you'd have pluses and minuses to attributes at the start. Put that back in. Cept have it be invisible. Let your attributes change based on how well you play then also shift randomly. Make it so you cant shoot yourself out of a slump every time and if your main shooter goes cold you gotta find other options.

Bball is actually about everything else but shooting. Shooting is what you have the least control over. Rebounding, defense, floor balance, etc. Getting second shots. Preventing break outs.

Dude was mad at me the other night cuz I missed some js and we lost. We could have won other ways but I did miss the js that would have won us the gm. I was capable of making them in theory. However, even tho it's a make or miss league, that's the gamble part. Like how they say w poker it's a skill gm. Things unfold but it's really how you handle them or play out the hand (in the metaphor) that gets you consistent wins, not expecting great cards or just folding. Which is what bball gms have become. U hit shots or u trash. That's step one then balance from there.

-Smak

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »