Home

#StealSpam has changed the 2K Meta

This is a discussion on #StealSpam has changed the 2K Meta within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #49
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: #StealSpam has changed the 2K Meta

Thrustie we're glad you and ASAP chimed in, those are real issues you guys bring up. Things like:

1. "Only bad passes are getting intercepted."
2. Players with low steal ratings (centers) ripping guards.
3. The total misconception that skill is involved.
4. Steal Spam Discouraging Ball movement

5. Backdoor plays being ineffective - The funniest part is this should actually be the counter to overaggressive "stealers" but the steal window is too large.

6. The "Deion makeup speed" lmao

I've always felt like the middle ground was making deflections out of bounds much numerous than steals. Steals aren't that prevalent anyway (the league leader gets about 2 per game) this rewards the defense by making the offense have to work late in the shot clock and prevents steals from being OP.

I don't know that there's anything we'll ever be able to do about users "stealing balls they can't see" (we have the omniscient POV) but we can mitigate bad gameplay by using deflections out of bounds instead.

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-29-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #50
Pro

OVR: 0

I know I said I wouldn’t bother but then I got ripped twice in one game and couldn’t help myself.

I come down with the ball in both videos and immediately hold L2. This should literally never be successful. Not 1 time out of 100. I have both hands on the ball in a protected position. There’s no reason to reward someone for reaching there.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:05 AM   #51
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Y’all look at this video on steal spam lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comme...19_skillfully/
WTF is this LMAO. It's all about timing for me. I could post a 2K18 video of me stealing the ball in the first clip like this because I'm anticipating it. I don't spam. When I do an on-ball steal, it's also timing. I can see the spot where I can get it and I press the button once. This steal spam thing is ridiculous.

I don't have 2K19, but seeing a lot of these videos on here and Reddit has me laughing, but also makes me a bit irritated. Where's the skill gap? Why don't these people learn how to play?

BTW, keep up the good work, Kushmir! I love your threads and videos!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2018, 07:41 AM   #52
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Thanks Hellquist, tons of good dialogue and solutions in here by a bunch of us. Hoping it gives the devs some inspiration on how to resolve the #StealSpam.

On another note, A Story in 3 parts:

This is why Neutral Outcomes hurt gameplay. This guy misses his first steal and then is just waiting to steal the ball. I only have 8 seconds to get out of the backcourt, so I get across the timeline with Johnson and then pass to Ben where he misses the steal again. Looking back I should have done a bounce pass--and this is where requiring more input from defenders makes sense. Make steals require skill. Swiping toward Ben for a normal pass, Up for a lob pass or down for a bounce pass.

Neutral Outcomes mean this guy gets to guess WRONG over and over with no downside. Thats like missing a hit-stick in Madden and still being in good position....which would be the worst design decision like, EVER. Especially since guessing right gets him a steal.

Here's what SHOULD happen when guys are swiping at the ball from bad position, they either lunge out of position like Horford or they're whistled for a foul.

Lastly, here's why the double team HAS to have a 50% foul outcome to prevent abuse, because it creates a single outcome. You HAVE to pass...knowing that, and these guys can spam steal to their hearts delight and have a good chance of stealing the ball with one of the doublers or clicking on a defender at the pass destination. This is the issue thats ruining Pro-Am, where 5 cheesers can coordinate this exploit.

Last edited by Kushmir; 09-30-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #53
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustie
I know I said I wouldn’t bother but then I got ripped twice in one game and couldn’t help myself.

I come down with the ball in both videos and immediately hold L2. This should literally never be successful. Not 1 time out of 100. I have both hands on the ball in a protected position. There’s no reason to reward someone for reaching there.
The frustrating part is, you KNOW these guys cant even see whats going on since the camera flips on a changed possession. They are literally blindly mashing square.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #54
Banned

The simple fix right now would be increasing foul attempts on steals and making passing lane steal attempts burn stamina. They have to know how stupid their league is going to look if there's 5 guys playing zone defense just randomly swiping at air for the entire possession, just like they toned down the shooting from ProAm to their league because of how silly it would look.

For proam, lower foul outs to 4 or 5, there's no reason a player should be allowed 6 fouls in a 20 minute game. Imagine the type of defense guys in the NBA could play if they never got tired from attempting steals, and they also had 16 fouls before they can foul out.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:21 AM   #55
Banned

What is 'meta'. Feel like that's some esports buzz word that most people don't know what it means. It's still basketball lol. Should contrast it with the real sport.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #56
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustie

How was this not patched. It's like they purposely avoid fixing the obvious stuff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »