Home

What's up with these gfx? I thought I got a PS5 game not a SNES one

This is a discussion on What's up with these gfx? I thought I got a PS5 game not a SNES one within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-20-2024, 01:16 PM   #25
Roster Editor

jd@os's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: What's up with these gfx? I thought I got a PS5 game not a SNES one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY_D1
Exactly...no one is above for being corrected, but I appreciate how we are able to correct and help each other see where each other is coming from. We want the game to be better, but we also have to be a community as well

I grew up in the time when I thought N64 grahics were amazing and was mind blown at how I can walk during lunch to find 2k5 being $19.99.. perspective can be different but as long as we are able to come in the middle.. thats whats its about.

Couldn’t agree more JAY_D1. People are filled with so much hubris these days** that it was refreshing to read the dialogue between you and Kobe, so I gotta give credit where credit is due.

(**someone argued confidently with me that Mitch Richmond was never an All Star)

I feel you on the N64 comment.

When I first played 2K24, I thought something was off with the graphics. The first thing I did was pop 2K23 in and tried to convince myself that 2K24 didn’t look worse. But the most important thing I did next was to come to Operation Sports to see what everyone here was saying. I don’t need to be blown away by graphics, but I don’t want to be disappointed by them either (ex: similar discussion about PGA Tour 2K23’s graphics on that board).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2024, 01:50 PM   #26
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY_D1
Have you played an SNES game? Isn't that extreme?

The only way to fix is to have some understanding on how these things work. Once you have a bit of understanding, you may see things differently. Im not an expert, but calling out graphics when we have no knowledge on what it takes or the ceiling of why they went that way, could be a bit much.

I remember when I was frustrated about something in this game, I went and looked for some understanding from it. Whether it was a previous post from someone of the community or even doing a bit of research on the topic. I even wen tand talked to ppl of 2k to have some clarity on my frustrations.

What are you expecting though bro?

SN: Also, there are ppl sharing 2k14 screenshots from heavily modded users lol

For the money that we spent on current gen hardware, and the money that we spend on these games, you want to feel like you're getting your money's worth...both with gameplay and visuals. The visuals on the whole outside of photo software within Instant Replay are underwhelming...they just are. There are times, like when you play in the Nets home arena where they look better than others, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed in the visuals this year. This is the 3rd and latest installment on current gen consoles, and it's the worst looking one. That shouldn't be. But, that's just my opinion and everybody else is welcome to theirs as well.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:58 PM   #27
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd@os
Dang--and I thought I kept receipts.

And it's not even just 2K14: it's been discussed here in multiple threads and posts that 2K23 looks better--to the point where some people said they went back to '23 because of the graphics. So to some, the drop-off wasn't gradual--it was immediate from one year to the next.
Haha I also cackled at the "hold up, these are from my console" but it's all in good fun.

I do want to say that I agree with the general feeling that the graphics went back a step this year from last and also 2K14 still looks sick. I do also want to say I don't love going back to the feel of NBA 2K14 on the court.

With that in mind, my best educated guess ties into what others have sort of said, where they're probably using memory and whatever "power" they have on hand to funnel more into framerate, animations, etc. that's loading in and using up their resources, and either via their own optimizations or just running into certain limits, they chose to take away from things like textures etc. In other words, it's not that I don't think they're capable of making something look like 2K14 anymore, it's more they have different priorities and probably the gameplay team beat out the graphics team for who gets what resources.

That said, the lighting model 2K uses is s h i t e. It's been s h i t e. There's no doubt something weird is going on with what they've used for it, and it has nothing to do with hardware, it has to be something they're doing on their end or some choice they're making in-house. I also want to see what monitors they play on that make them think certain colors etc. look "right" to them because they're not right.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:34 AM   #28
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22

This only thing I have to add to this whole discussion is...Tecmo Super NBA Basketball was actually a solid game that I still play occasionally lol
Old 02-21-2024, 03:38 PM   #29
Roster Editor

jd@os's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Haha I also cackled at the "hold up, these are from my console" but it's all in good fun.

I do want to say that I agree with the general feeling that the graphics went back a step this year from last and also 2K14 still looks sick. I do also want to say I don't love going back to the feel of NBA 2K14 on the court.

With that in mind, my best educated guess ties into what others have sort of said, where they're probably using memory and whatever "power" they have on hand to funnel more into framerate, animations, etc. that's loading in and using up their resources, and either via their own optimizations or just running into certain limits, they chose to take away from things like textures etc. In other words, it's not that I don't think they're capable of making something look like 2K14 anymore, it's more they have different priorities and probably the gameplay team beat out the graphics team for who gets what resources.

That said, the lighting model 2K uses is s h i t e. It's been s h i t e. There's no doubt something weird is going on with what they've used for it, and it has nothing to do with hardware, it has to be something they're doing on their end or some choice they're making in-house. I also want to see what monitors they play on that make them think certain colors etc. look "right" to them because they're not right.
Good points. I'd rather players and courts look good as opposed to focusing on making park benches, stores and laundromats for your MyPlayer to go to look realistic--but that's what the kids today play.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:22 PM   #30
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps91
This only thing I have to add to this whole discussion is...Tecmo Super NBA Basketball was actually a solid game that I still play occasionally lol
Can't argue with that.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:46 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeDropped81
OP is right, this game sucks, visually. 2k has no business trying to pass this off as ‘next gen’. It’s not a hardware thing, it’s an art direction thing. Colors are completely washed out, players look like they’re made out of Play-Doh, textures are very flat, skin types are very flat / single toned, no facial discolorations, awful lighting, awful sweat / gloss effects. Etc etc.

Thanks OP for giving me a reason to share annual 2K14 comparison

This is laughably embarrassing
that bottom one looks like an alien the more you look at it HAHA.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM   #32
Roster Editor

jd@os's Arena

What's up with these gfx? I thought I got a PS5 game not a SNES one

^ Or Sonny from I, Robot

Last edited by jd@os; 02-22-2024 at 07:59 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »