Home

What's up with these gfx? I thought I got a PS5 game not a SNES one

This is a discussion on What's up with these gfx? I thought I got a PS5 game not a SNES one within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-19-2024, 03:53 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: What's up with these gfx? I thought I got a PS5 game not a SNES one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY_D1
Man Im old.

Hey man, I do believe 2k14 looks better in comparison.. I think we all have said that from time. Im never disputing that, but I think my messaging will get lost but I hope there is a bigger discussion on why or what made this last gen game looks graphically better than these new ones.
Ay bro I’m sorry if I came at you a little aggressive in my response. I thought you were trying to cape. As bro previously stated, the 2K14 that we tend to showcase, was never released on PC. Just PS4/XB1. I see how the game could easily be mistaken for a mod. Especially in still photos. It’s that great, visually. I have a theory as to why games of this generation have regressed.

2k introduced a new graphical engine around 2K18. Skin tones became very flat, very dark, lots of details were lost, like facial marks and discolorations. Colors became less vibrant, overall the game just became more dark, more stale looking. Overall fidelity took a huge hit. 2k had to purposely (and I mean severely) downgrade the graphics in 2K17, in order to make the new engine in 18 look like an upgrade.

The reason why the game still looks bad is because 2k has refused to move away from this engine. They just ported everything over from last gen. Nothing was built from the ground up. They continue to use those same assets, while it’s clear as day, that the engine is dated and it’s time for a complete overhaul. It’s also time for them to move away from their sit down, face scan technology, and come up with a more quick and efficient way to update player models. There’s image to 3D technology that exists via AI. Would make things so much easier.

All in all, the game could (and should) look so much better. At the bare minimum they could at least get back to that level of 2k14. With the power of current hardware, that should not only be easily achievable, but easy to surpass. It all comes down to effort, willingness, and priority.

Last edited by KobeDropped81; 02-19-2024 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:56 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd@os
Dang--and I thought I kept receipts.

And it's not even just 2K14: it's been discussed here in multiple threads and posts that 2K23 looks better--to the point where some people said they went back to '23 because of the graphics. So to some, the drop-off wasn't gradual--it was immediate from one year to the next.
Yup, 23 is definitely the better looking game. It possesses many of the same flaws as ‘24, however, the overall aesthetic is more vibrant, and courts look A LOT better.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:23 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeDropped81
Ay bro I’m sorry if I came at you a little aggressive in my response. I thought you were trying to cape. As bro previously stated, the 2K14 that we tend to showcase, was never released on PC. Just PS4/XB1. I see how the game could easily be mistaken for a mod. Especially in still photos. It’s that great, visually. I have a theory as to why games of this generation have regressed.

2k introduced a new graphical engine around 2K18. Skin tones became very flat, very dark, lots of details were lost, like facial marks and discolorations. Colors became less vibrant, overall the game just became more dark, more stale looking. Overall fidelity took a huge hit. 2k had to purposely (and I mean severely) downgrade the graphics in 2K17, in order to make the new engine in 18 look like an upgrade.

The reason why the game still looks bad is because 2k has refused to move away from this engine. They just ported everything over from last gen. Nothing was built from the ground up. They continue to use those same assets, while it’s clear as day, that the engine is dated and it’s time for a complete overhaul. It’s also time for them to move away from their sit down, face scan technology, and come up with a more quick and efficient way to update player models. There’s image to 3D technology that exists via AI. Would make things so much easier.

All in all, the game could (and should) look so much better. At the bare minimum they could at least get back to that level of 2k14. With the power of current hardware, that should not only be easily achievable, but easy to surpass. It all comes down to effort, willingness, and priority.

Now we getting it going.

I'm always cool for being corrected and having great convo on this matter, so appreciate this.

One day, I hope we can find some real understanding from 2k reps on why the downgrade from 2k14 happened because even on 2k16 I was playing the other day and I was like "Man these graphics looks kinda better than the ones that came after it".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image 10105.jpg (190.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 02-19-2024, 07:40 PM   #20
Roster Editor

jd@os's Arena

OVR: 21

Just wanted to say I appreciate the last posts between KobeDropped81 and Jay_D1. Like I said before, this has been discussed in multiple threads and posts with different opinions. I happen to dislike 2K24’s graphics but I, too, like having the discussion as to 1) why someone else might not dislike it as well as 2) why the graphics have taken a step back (if they even have at all).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2024, 02:16 AM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY_D1
Now we getting it going.

I'm always cool for being corrected and having great convo on this matter, so appreciate this.

One day, I hope we can find some real understanding from 2k reps on why the downgrade from 2k14 happened because even on 2k16 I was playing the other day and I was like "Man these graphics looks kinda better than the ones that came after it".
A common misconception is that 2k completely abandoned EcoMotion (engine used in 14) immediately after it’s inception. I think what actually happened was, they started to add more to the game..more features, more game modes, more animations, etc. As a result, they had to dial back on the visuals. By time we got to ‘16, jersey physics were pretty much eliminated, however, skin textures were still good, colors were still good, lighting was still decent. Overall the game was still pretty solid looking. Didn’t experience major decline until ‘17 rolled around. Engine switch at ‘18.

Last edited by KobeDropped81; 02-20-2024 at 02:41 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2024, 02:36 AM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Just wanted to say I appreciate the last posts between KobeDropped81 and Jay_D1. Like I said before, this has been discussed in multiple threads and posts with different opinions. I happen to dislike 2K24’s graphics but I, too, like having the discussion as to 1) why someone else might not dislike it as well as 2) why the graphics have taken a step back (if they even have at all).

Salute man 🫡 dialogue is important and perspective is everything. It’s good to have these discussions. Balance is necessary. I know sometimes things can get a bit heated and uncomfortable. But at the end of the day, we all are passionate about the game, we all love the franchise, and we all simply want the best 2k has to offer.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:30 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:

Exactly...no one is above for being corrected, but I appreciate how we are able to correct and help each other see where each other is coming from. We want the game to be better, but we also have to be a community as well

I grew up in the time when I thought N64 grahics were amazing and was mind blown at how I can walk during lunch to find 2k5 being $19.99.. perspective can be different but as long as we are able to come in the middle.. thats whats its about.
Old 02-20-2024, 12:06 PM   #24
Rookie

OP here, sorry if I sounded a bit offensive but I was somewhat pissed coming from PS4 2k22 and seeing this is a sidegrade at most in a platform geometrically more powerful.

Any chances we see a GFX improvement through updates? This and the artificial shooting where every jumpshot is a swish and every ball that bounces on the rim never goes in, is draining my enthusiast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »