Home

What's up with these gfx? I thought I got a PS5 game not a SNES one

This is a discussion on What's up with these gfx? I thought I got a PS5 game not a SNES one within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-19-2024, 12:56 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: What's up with these gfx? I thought I got a PS5 game not a SNES one

The Kobe model in 2k14 is legit the best player model in 2k history. There isn’t a player model in ‘24 that even comes close.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:18 PM   #10
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

2K14's lighting was something else. And it happened on the PS4 back in 2013. 2k15's graphics in general were a downgrade, although player models and faces were much better, in my opinion, but the overall look wasn't as good as 2K14's.

I've been playing some 2K14 and 2K15 the last few months, and graphics-wise 2K14 is still amazing. 2K15's player models look better than today's player models, in my opinion. And the fact that we could adjust shoulder width, wingspan, body length and muscle tone (the only 2K where you could actually see it changing visually) was a huge plus. Today we are stuck with some strange models that 2K refuse to improve, so we basically get the same models every year for a few years now, on either gen.

I'm still on PS4, so I can't really say much about 2K24's graphics in person, but from videos they do look washed out and somewhat flat.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 02-19-2024, 01:22 PM   #11
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY_D1
SN: Also, there are ppl sharing 2k14 screenshots from heavily modded users lol
That's what a heavily moded 2K24 would look like

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2024, 01:27 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeDropped81
Bro what are you talking about? These shots were captured straight from my console

The fact that you think it’s a mod, just proves my point. 2K14 is a vastly superior looking game. Period. You can remain in denial or come up with another silly reason to justify your disbelief. Truth hurts.
Wasnt discussing your pics, 2k14 is always everyones discussion on why the game looks crazy now, I get that. It looks great but people have posted pictures of 2k14 modded is what I'm saying, to add on their argument of how the game looks so subpar.

My whole thing is, this is a great opportunity to look into it to find out. Why does 2k14 look so good compared to the other games? You all dont get tired of being just angry or frustrated all the time?

We get on here and get frustrated about certain things about this game that we enjoy but dont take time to actually say "Why is that? What am I missing that could explain why the dropoff?"

Maybe im old though lol
Old 02-19-2024, 01:38 PM   #13
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Have you played an SNES game? Isn't that extreme?
Hyperbole is a rhetorical device.

Quote:
SN: Also, there are ppl sharing 2k14 screenshots from heavily modded users lol
The person you're referring to already replied, but just for additional clarity: 2K14 on PC (i.e., the one that people mod) is the (then-)old-gen PS3/XB360 version of the game, which is ugly by modern standards, even with mods. The 2K14 that is often held up as a great graphical achievement (including in this thread) is the console-only (then-)new-gen PS4/XB1 version.

Quote:
The only way to fix is to have some understanding on how these things work. Once you have a bit of understanding, you may see things differently. Im not an expert, but calling out graphics when we have no knowledge on what it takes or the ceiling of why they went that way, could be a bit much.
You don't need to be an expert to conclude that there's something wrong with the fact that version of the game from 10 years prior (an eternity in gaming/computing terms), which was the initial effort on the now-last gen, looks graphically more impressive in many ways than 2K's effort four games into the following gen. Even if individual gamers may give the edge to 2K24, it shouldn't be competitive.

Is 2K14 for PS4 capable of running on a PS5? Of course; easily. So technically they could literally just do a big asset update of 2K14 (i.e., cyberfaces, courts, etc.) and it would make for an overall more attractive game than the latest installment. If that is true then 2K has lost its way graphically.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:43 PM   #14
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
It looks great but people have posted pictures of 2k14 modded is what I'm saying, to add on their argument of how the game looks so subpar.
Not true. Nobody ever uses modded 2K14 as any sort of graphical exemplar. 2K14 mods are impressive for their depth / attention to detail (like the UBR/URB mods that unquestionably inspired MyNBA Eras), not for their PS3-era graphics. If you've ever seen someone using 2K14 to shame more recent games graphically, it was the console PS4/XB1 version and you misunderstood.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:20 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin
Hyperbole is a rhetorical device.

The person you're referring to already replied, but just for additional clarity: 2K14 on PC (i.e., the one that people mod) is the (then-)old-gen PS3/XB360 version of the game, which is ugly by modern standards, even with mods. The 2K14 that is often held up as a great graphical achievement (including in this thread) is the console-only (then-)new-gen PS4/XB1 version.

You don't need to be an expert to conclude that there's something wrong with the fact that version of the game from 10 years prior (an eternity in gaming/computing terms), which was the initial effort on the now-last gen, looks graphically more impressive in many ways than 2K's effort four games into the following gen. Even if individual gamers may give the edge to 2K24, it shouldn't be competitive.

Is 2K14 for PS4 capable of running on a PS5? Of course; easily. So technically they could literally just do a big asset update of 2K14 (i.e., cyberfaces, courts, etc.) and it would make for an overall more attractive game than the latest installment. If that is true then 2K has lost its way graphically.

Man Im old.

Hey man, I do believe 2k14 looks better in comparison.. I think we all have said that from time. Im never disputing that, but I think my messaging will get lost but I hope there is a bigger discussion on why or what made this last gen game looks graphically better than these new ones.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2024, 03:50 PM   #16
Roster Editor

jd@os's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeDropped81
Bro what are you talking about? These shots were captured straight from my console

The fact that you think it’s a mod, just proves my point. 2K14 is a vastly superior looking game. Period. You can remain in denial or come up with another silly reason to justify your disbelief. Truth hurts.
Dang--and I thought I kept receipts.

And it's not even just 2K14: it's been discussed here in multiple threads and posts that 2K23 looks better--to the point where some people said they went back to '23 because of the graphics. So to some, the drop-off wasn't gradual--it was immediate from one year to the next.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »