Home

NBA 2K24 Soundtrack Pays Homage to 50th Anniversary of Hip-Hop

This is a discussion on NBA 2K24 Soundtrack Pays Homage to 50th Anniversary of Hip-Hop within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-05-2023, 11:32 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K24 Soundtrack Pays Homage to 50th Anniversary of Hip-Hop

Hey 2K! How about Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Sugarhill Gang, Ice-T, NWA, 2Pac and so on? Who are these artists anyway?
Old 09-06-2023, 01:15 AM   #18
MVP

tru11's Arena

Re: NBA 2K24 Soundtrack Pays Homage to 50th Anniversary of Hip-Hop

Looks like ill be listening to 1 or 2 songs all day.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Operation Sports
Old 09-06-2023, 04:47 AM   #19
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NBA 2K24 Soundtrack Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin
Even Lil Wayne?
No clue who that is. To fit a stereotype, I'm an old head white fella and have no idea about hip-hop, rap or any related genres.

In my youth I used to hoop listening to rock Ibiza club classics. I never fastened on to the explosion of rap in the 90's. Was never my thing. I know Snoop Dog, Cool J and Busta if that counts?

In my now older years I don't listen to mainstream music at all. Just score music from movies.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:19 AM   #20
Rookie

SportsGamer89's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
No clue who that is. To fit a stereotype, I'm an old head white fella and have no idea about hip-hop, rap or any related genres.

In my youth I used to hoop listening to rock Ibiza club classics. I never fastened on to the explosion of rap in the 90's. Was never my thing. I know Snoop Dog, Cool J and Busta if that counts?

In my now older years I don't listen to mainstream music at all. Just score music from movies.

Unbelievable… What about Eminem, Pac & Biggie? Jay-Z and Nas…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2023, 06:04 AM   #21
MVP

daveberg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer89
Unbelievable… What about Eminem, Pac & Biggie? Jay-Z and Nas…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only ever heard one song from 2pac, ('The way it is', or something?) never listened to Biggie. Eminem I know - was hard to get away from his stuff in the 2000's. That 'Slim Shady' nonsense was everywhere back then.

No clue about Jay-Z or Nas.

Like I said, as a hoops fan, I don't fit the assumed stereotype. More likely to find me gunning fadeaways at the park listening to a Hanz Zimmer score than any hip-hop. I mute 2k's soundtrack every year. Nothing for me, at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2023, 06:47 AM   #22
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg

It's a little surprising just because of how intertwined with the NBA some of these artists are. Lil Wayne's been a mainstream artist for around 25 years and has been sitting courtside, performing at All-Star games, and just generally being NBA adjacent for a large chunk of that time, and people like that are often promoted / talked about directly on game broadcasts, like Lil Wayne here in the 2021 Western Conference Finals: https://youtu.be/uIJxaQwThps?si=biSblUIdqdPjmGBe&t=16.

Other guys on the soundtrack are younger, but similarly entangled / talked about / promoted on game broadcasts, like Quavo (via the Hawks) and J. Cole (via the Hornets and even 2K itself). Lil Baby too to some extent, though his name has come up more in the context of James Harden news reports (for instance when Harden was trying to force his way out of Houston and blew off the team to go party with Lil Baby in some other city).

A lot of the artists on this soundtrack are legitimately random nobodies (that's always like half of the soundtrack every year), but I feel like a lot of hip-hop / rap artists are just difficult to not know about if you follow the NBA, even if you only know them by name.

Other examples from recent soundtracks include Jack Harlow (who inadvertently got Lou Williams in trouble and caused him to miss time in the Bubble) and Drake (who is absolutely unmissable if you've watched the NBA in the past 4-5 years; here he is in the 2019 Eastern Conference Finals, where he's talked about and featured more prominently than even some players in the game, it feels like: https://youtu.be/meHj7vUaOYI?si=T4fjMuC-vzmWCAIw).

I don't listen to any of this stuff either though; this is all just via the NBA.

EDIT:

Quote:
No clue about Jay-Z or Nas.
This is surprising to me too since Jay-Z is (was?) a part-owner of the Nets and inevitably gets talked about during the game whenever he's in attendance (which is [was?] a lot).

Last edited by vetmin; 09-06-2023 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:30 AM   #23
MVP

daveberg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin
It's a little surprising just because of how intertwined with the NBA some of these artists are. Lil Wayne's been a mainstream artist for around 25 years and has been sitting courtside, performing at All-Star games, and just generally being NBA adjacent for a large chunk of that time, and people like that are often promoted / talked about directly on game broadcasts, like Lil Wayne here in the 2021 Western Conference Finals: https://youtu.be/uIJxaQwThps?si=biSblUIdqdPjmGBe&t=16.

Other guys on the soundtrack are younger, but similarly entangled / talked about / promoted on game broadcasts, like Quavo (via the Hawks) and J. Cole (via the Hornets and even 2K itself). Lil Baby too to some extent, though his name has come up more in the context of James Harden news reports (for instance when Harden was trying to force his way out of Houston and blew off the team to go party with Lil Baby in some other city).

A lot of the artists on this soundtrack are legitimately random nobodies (that's always like half of the soundtrack every year), but I feel like a lot of hip-hop / rap artists are just difficult to not know about if you follow the NBA, even if you only know them by name.

Other examples from recent soundtracks include Jack Harlow (who inadvertently got Lou Williams in trouble and caused him to miss time in the Bubble) and Drake (who is absolutely unmissable if you've watched the NBA in the past 4-5 years; here he is in the 2019 Eastern Conference Finals, where he's talked about and featured more prominently than even some players in the game, it feels like: https://youtu.be/meHj7vUaOYI?si=T4fjMuC-vzmWCAIw).

I don't listen to any of this stuff either though; this is all just via the NBA.

EDIT:

This is surprising to me too since Jay-Z is (was?) a part-owner of the Nets and inevitably gets talked about during the game whenever he's in attendance (which is [was?] a lot).
I don't watch the modern NBA. Haven't really since Jordan retired in 03 and a brief stint in the mid 2000's when my Suns were doing pretty well with Nash and Stat, and again, a small percentage during Kobe's title runs and retirement. A few games here and there.

It's not really my thing anymore. Not a fan of todays players or how the game is played, so it's no wonder I have no clue about the people/artists that are mentioned above I suppose.

I know of Drake. I just looked up Jay-Z - yeah, I know that dude. Again, no idea about their music, though. As I said, I don't listen to rap or hip-hop, nor commercial music. Haven't done since the 2000's, really.

I'm a bit of a cave man by today's standards.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:43 AM   #24
Rookie

GhostPandaStorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
Man, I didn't realize I was such an old head. I know and have listened to like 5 people on here. I wish the soundtracks were how they used to be and have a better mix of old and new. Also miss when soundtracks used to have songs made entirely for that game.

What I would do though as to not alienate anyone, I'd have Playlist tied to eras. An 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, 20s playlist so there's a mix of everything. Each with about 15-18 songs like old soundtrack lengths.
Yeah, agreed, I've heard most of the artists here but that's an amazing idea to have playlists by era. It's the 50th anniversary of hip hop so it makes too much sense. LL, Snoop, Jay, Nas, Pac, Big, Rakim, Big L etc, get all of the legends in there in their respective eras.

That said, I know 2K updates the soundtrack every Friday so we'll see if they'll start including some classics in there too.

Chicago Bulls

Chicago White Sox

Chicago Bears

Northwestern Wildcats

Any HBCU Team

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »