Home

D43 - Slider Tweaks - Player Movement, etc

This is a discussion on D43 - Slider Tweaks - Player Movement, etc within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #49
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: D43 - Slider Tweaks - Player Movement, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
I wanted to follow back up after having an amazing game last night.

I was the Bucks and played against the Nuggets. This is in a 30-team MyLeague where I don't currently control any of the teams (more context in this dynasty thread). I was up 10 in the first quarter, then down 20 in the second, then up 16 in the 3rd, and ended up winning by about 10.

The swings, the momentum, and the back and forth were amazing, and I think these changes facilitated that.

However, as I continue to work to make these challenging, realistic, and fun, I had 2 questions that you may be able to help with:
  1. I really struggle with on-ball and perimeter defense, as I think the "sucking in" made it easier for me to play it. When guarding Russell Westbrook, the Rockets quick backup PG, or Jamal Murray, I really sucked and was blown by quite regularly. Is there a trick or slider changes to make for on-ball defense? Or was it because I was guarding some exceptionally talented players and they should be hard? I must admit I didn't struggle as much with Michael Porter, Gary Harris, or Will Barton
  2. Giannis went off in my game last night, scoring 50+. He's good, but it definitely felt like "if I want to get to the rim, nobody can stop me" especially on fast breaks. It was basically a guaranteed dunk or layup in transition every time. This may be realistic, but I wanted to know if you experienced this with your best players and if you had suggestions.
1 and 2 actually go together, so I will address both in the same way.

Perimeter defense in this game by default (with the sucking in) was 2K10-esque, it didnt feel like you were controlling your destiny. You were mostly being sucked into your assignment, same in the paint and on drives.

3 things that could help your perimeter/help defense a bit:

1. Raise lateral quickness slider - Try it at 70 or 75, does this help you slide your feet better ?

2. If you are not already, become a master at icon switching. If you noticed in my gameplay videos I am icon switching constantly on defense. It allows you to switch to the right defender faster and help quicker. This would help you in getting some stops at the hoop against Giannis.

3. Stop jumping constantly, stop going for blocks on drives and around the hoop so often (if you are). Right joystick up and towards the defender while standing your ground often stops them before they attack the rim, or causes them to miss in general. Going for blocks is fun. But like in real life it actually puts you out of position and the offensive player can just go around you.

You could also raise body-up sensitivity a tad, but I think that would hurt the rest of your experience. I love that you are having great games, but the bottom line is: The game has some core movement issues that can not be remedied completely with slider tweaks.

Next time you play Giannis let me know how it goes. But I'll say again, become an icon switching master, and stand your ground in the paint while using the R stick wisely, and I can almost guarantee that you get more stops.

Last edited by RetroDee4Three; 03-30-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #50
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

Thank you!

Lateral quickness - ah, I should try that. I actually had it at 75 with previous sliders and me + CPU were shooting like 25% from the field so I dropped it down to 60 or 65. I'll re-up it.

Icon switching - I would say I'm a solid moderate at this. I'll work on it more. I tend to choose to play one guy and do help defense with him. Often it's a post player, but I find it more challenging to do it with a wing guy, so I wanted to challenge myself.

Jumping constantly - I am not too bad at this, but I do it too much. Although, this wasn't why I was getting blown by, but jumping is "fun." Your analogy to real bball is great. Even at rec ball we have guys yelling "stay on your feet"

Giannis - To clarify, I was the Bucks so I was the one who scored 61. It was a good game (I won by 8), but it felt like I had cheat codes. Maybe that's just Giannis, but I'll see how it is after upping lateral quickness.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:19 PM   #51
Pro

Ahh, okay. You could raise the CPUs on ball defense a bit, now that I know you were kicking the CPUs butt with Giannis.

The blow bys in this game are frustrating at times, they reverted back to 2K18 a bit with those. The CPU intelligence is incredibly poor, often. Especially with transition/help defense, and basically with guarding a player with good ball handling/speed.

I am all about not "faking sim", the ultimate goal of sport is to win, right? If you can score 61 and dominate with Giannis, do it. The game itself is supposed to have strong gameplay and smart AI in place to prevent you from ultra unrealistic on court happens. The game is marketed as a simulation, a simulation of the real sport. You shouldn't have to "fake sim" in order to get a more realistic experience out of it, the game should make you have to play a more realistic game of basketball to succeed.

Which was one of my biggest issues with NBA 2K18. The blow bys were so overpowering, that you could just run by your guy whenever you wanted and score a good majority of the time (with anybody, I scored over 60 points on just straight line drives with Whiteside on HOF on 2K18, and shot 75% doing it). Every time I put on 2K18 I felt guilty, because I was just faking the need to move the ball and run different plays, when in reality all I had to do was run Iso on the wing and run to the hoop.

The game needs to be stronger at its core, so you have to truly play basketball and use some semblance of strategy in order to compete and get Ws. This is why 2K16 may be the strongest simulation game in 2Ks history, as outside of the trailer three being open a bit much, it forced you to play a more realistic game of basketball on both ends of the floor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #52
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

That makes a lot of sense. My first and only NBA 2K game was 2K16 and it probably took the crown from CHoops 2K8 and Football Manager 13 as the best sports game I'd ever played. I ultimately stopped because 2K shut down the servers and I lost all my saves...which soured me on the game for about 2-3 years.

With 2K20 being $20, I picked it back up and dove back into MyLeague. The gameplay is a lot different and that's taken some getting used to, but combining your tweaks to Eccentric's sliders and Shady's tendencies is where I've ended up now.

Well, if we can get the game as close as possible to 2K16, that'd be great (and agreed on your trailing three. I played as the 92-93 Hornets and Larry Johnson got so many threes that way).

Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #53
MVP

itrey25's Arena

Hey bro what’s your audio settings, I’m looking for a real nba game sound not just the 2k default which is horrible tbh, btw your camera angles was great as well
NFL Las Vegas Raiders

PSN: InMyBag24-8
Old 04-02-2020, 12:13 AM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrey25
Hey bro what’s your audio settings, I’m looking for a real nba game sound not just the 2k default which is horrible tbh, btw your camera angles was great as well
He's on PC, there are a couple audio mods for the basket sounds, if that's what you're referring to
Old 04-02-2020, 01:48 AM   #55
MVP

itrey25's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pst98
He's on PC, there are a couple audio mods for the basket sounds, if that's what you're referring to
Nah, I’m talking the arena audio settings right below
Game speed, I’m on ps4, I don’t think it matter what system your on
NFL Las Vegas Raiders

PSN: InMyBag24-8
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2020, 02:04 AM   #56
Pro

I am using an overall SFX mod created by Simon lee, which does edit the arena music I believe.

But my audio settings in the game are below

Commentary: 80
PA: 75
Sound Effects: 100
Crowd: 80
Player Chatter: 85

So not much different from default.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »