Home

The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

This is a discussion on The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-23-2022, 01:48 PM   #145
Pro

jkits's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The "Shot Defense Strength" Sliders Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlxu11
@Jkits, what are the slider ratings you're using? I'm definitely struggling with the non-green splash shots not going in. Thanks!
Thanks bro, you can actually find them on my slider thread. You should see it, I don't want to spam it here on Eccentric's thread
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2022, 04:46 AM   #146
Pro

OVR: 0

This is my first time experimenting with these sliders so I might need some help to get them to performance way I need them to. Does the user defensive strength sliders affecting the defence of the opposition still apply this year or am I misinterpreting how they work? I played one game with the user jump shot strength set to 40 for both gather and release and shot 38% from 3 and found it easier to make contested shots.

I then put the users jump shot gather to 20 and the release to 35 and shot 27% from 3 and found it harder to make contested jump shots. In turn my opponent was shooting 57% from 3 ! The teams I used were the Grizzlies and the Lakers, I was Memphis both times.
Old 02-04-2022, 03:53 PM   #147
Pro

@ Eccentric

What exactly does the Shot Coverage Impact slider do?
Old 02-06-2022, 03:23 PM   #148
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
@ Eccentric

I'm sure Eccentric will weigh in, but I believe this slider impacts how much of an effect being closely guarded (i.e., covered) has on the likelihood the shot will go in.

Lower Shot Coverage Impact slider will increase the likelihood the shot will go in even if covered/well-guarded (being covered has less impact)

Increase Shot Coverage Impact slider will decrease the likelihood the shot will go in if covered/well-guarded (being covered has more impact).
Old 02-06-2022, 07:00 PM   #149
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
@ Eccentric

As res2 said, it increases/decreases the effect the defense has on a shot/layup. If you play with Shot Feedback on, every shot will be listed as open/covered/smothered based on how well defended the shot attempt was. Decreasing the Shot Coverage Impact slider will make it more likely for covered/smothered shots to go in.

I’ve heard other say that if you play with User Timing instead of Real %, a lower Shot Coverage Impact slider will actually make wide open shots harder to make and you’ll have to nearly green these shots for them to go in. I can’t confirm that as I haven’t tested with User Timing this year, but it is something to pay attention to if you do (and if true, it’s likely that just decreasing the Shot Timing Impact slider would offset this change, but that’s just a guess).
Old 05-25-2022, 12:23 PM   #150
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by res2
I'm sure Eccentric will weigh in, but I believe this slider impacts how much of an effect being closely guarded (i.e., covered) has on the likelihood the shot will go in.

Lower Shot Coverage Impact slider will increase the likelihood the shot will go in even if covered/well-guarded (being covered has less impact)

Increase Shot Coverage Impact slider will decrease the likelihood the shot will go in if covered/well-guarded (being covered has more impact).
So what would be the perfect setting for Shot Coverage Impact be ??

taking into consideration that
1. IRL good offense beats good defense quite often and great players make well-guarded shots all the time.
2. you don't want to be making most of your smothered shots, because great defense needs to be rewarded as well.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:54 PM   #151
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGENOCIDER
So what would be the perfect setting for Shot Coverage Impact be ??

taking into consideration that
1. IRL good offense beats good defense quite often and great players make well-guarded shots all the time.
2. you don't want to be making most of your smothered shots, because great defense needs to be rewarded as well.
I don't think there is a right answer for that question because the right slider setting for Shot Coverage Impact also depends on what you have done with other sliders.

For example, if you have the Layup Defense Strength and Jump Shot Defense Strength sliders very high, you might need to offset that with a slightly lower Shot Coverage Impact slider to get realistic shooting percentages.

Conversely, lower Defense Strength sliders might need higher Shot Coverage Impact.

Many of the sliders play off each other so it really takes a bit of trial and error, and watching the gameplay to sort out what works for your slider mix and play style.

Sorry that there is not a clean answer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2022, 06:23 PM   #152
Rookie

Quote:

Quote:
I don't think there is a right answer for that question because the right slider setting for Shot Coverage Impact also depends on what you have done with other sliders.

For example, if you have the Layup Defense Strength and Jump Shot Defense Strength sliders very high, you might need to offset that with a slightly lower Shot Coverage Impact slider to get realistic shooting percentages.

Conversely, lower Defense Strength sliders might need higher Shot Coverage Impact.

Many of the sliders play off each other so it really takes a bit of trial and error, and watching the gameplay to sort out what works for your slider mix and play style.

Sorry that there is not a clean answer.

thank you for the fast reply brother.

what would you say is the best way to test sliders. quick play CPU vs CPU? User vs CPU? blacktop? scrimmage?
I favor scrimmage because you don't have to go back to the menu to change the sliders.
another thing that is super frustrating is to watch the CPU play blacktop 1v1 with guards/jump shooters. (Lillard/kyrie for example).

the CPU tends to favor shots in the post, ****ing hook shots, or shoots around the paint.

instead of threes, middies, or off-the-dribble tough shots, like IRL. I have tried to decrease these sliders (tendencies to shoot in the post and attack the basket) and increase midrange and three-point shots tendencies but it keeps on happening. any ideas?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »