Home

Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #457
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

It's kind of strange, because in this thread showing this CES video, Russell said that the stance had been altered. I don't know if that meant it was altered from last year, or it had been altered since the video. Doesn't look like the latter is the case though.

I liked Cano's stance in last year's game, in that I liked the stance itself. I just thought it was a cool stance (also thought it was closer to his stance this year than last year).

Some stances are tough to replicate, in a way. Those with that "calmness" in their stance also have some other random movements as well, or their strides will be a bit different. That's why A. Gonzalez never really looks right to me either. I don't really think Posey was perfectly captured this year either, though I see what they were going with (if Posey captured himself, it still isn't quite accurate to what he does in real life if that makes sense).
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #458
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
It's kind of strange, because in this thread showing this CES video, Russell said that the stance had been altered. I don't know if that meant it was altered from last year, or it had been altered since the video. Doesn't look like the latter is the case though.

I liked Cano's stance in last year's game, in that I liked the stance itself. I just thought it was a cool stance (also thought it was closer to his stance this year than last year).

Some stances are tough to replicate, in a way. Those with that "calmness" in their stance also have some other random movements as well, or their strides will be a bit different. That's why A. Gonzalez never really looks right to me either. I don't really think Posey was perfectly captured this year either, though I see what they were going with (if Posey captured himself, it still isn't quite accurate to what he does in real life if that makes sense).

I understand how the "calm" stances are hard, for instance Josh Hamilton... but when they already had a pretty good Cano stance, why blow it up with a nuke?

Whenever he's up it feels like there's some generic AA player at the plate now. Disappointing to say the least.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #459
MVP

hitstreak13's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Purely personal preference, but I hated all that crap. I am glad it's gone. It's not like a GM is sitting around setting beer and hot dog prices.
LOL, of course not. But, it is a part of the game and the show did that well. I know alot of users would have $1 beer nights or what not to push the product or entice fans to come. Nonetheless, prices and concessions were a huge part of the game and the GM is responsible to ensure that it is profitable.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #460
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

I do love the hyperbole in this thread.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #461
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

I also liked Cano's stance last year. I actually had faith that Cano's stance would be improved after Ramone responded. Another dev responded about Kemps stance and said they fixed it a bit and it did get changed in the final game.

The thing with randomness is to fake it.

Look at Anthony Rizzo's stance, it has that feel of randomness because he has two bat wave cycles. Look at the bat moving behind his head and you'll see what I mean. I don't think every player has more than one bat wave cycle in their stance.

Another issue to me is the grips players have in the game. That all grip the bat the same, over-rotated hands and way too tight. Most guys now hold the bat a little loose, have their pinky over the bat end, or other hand placements.

I'd love for at least some options, tight, loose, over bat end, etc. to be added to the editor. But it might be their hitting engine that makes it so every hitter needs to have his hands in the same place. Or maybe its that they don't feel they can model the fingers properly yet, maybe with the PS4 they can afford to model individual fingers better.

Last edited by MrOldboy; 03-10-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #462
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitstreak13
LOL, of course not. But, it is a part of the game and the show did that well. I know alot of users would have $1 beer nights or what not to push the product or entice fans to come. Nonetheless, prices and concessions were a huge part of the game and the GM is responsible to ensure that it is profitable.
The GM makes sure it's profitable by contracting an agency to do concessions and getting the best deal for his buck. That's it.

As well as doing it well? Not even sure that's true. Sucks it's gone for people like you, but it really was a worthless part of the game.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #463
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoItage
This will be a bit of a rant, but..

Robinson Cano's batting stance? Really?

...I haven't seen a batting stance this messed up in YEARS. He's a top-5 hitter in the entire league, and they ruined his very good stance from the previous years and gave him some default stance that isn't even CLOSE to his?!

Usually I don't make a big deal out of stances, but this completely ruins the realism of one of the best players in the MLB for me. I can't even use him in this game anymore. There isn't a single stance in the game that is like his old one either (I've tried Salty, but it's not all that close).

Absolutely horrible. I can't even begin to think what was going through whoever's mind when they decided to delete his old stance and put in that trainwreck. Ugh.

Aside from that, the only other thing I dislike are the franchise cyber pics. Please let us choose whether to use them or not. I usually trade for prospects that have real pics to add to the realism, and now that's completely ruined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11gkjXoGz3A
First 10 seconds looks a bit closer to 13's stance than 12's to me. U can see him rest the bat on his shoulder for a split second is where I guess they got the idea from.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #464
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lVlAtlZiX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11gkjXoGz3A
First 10 seconds looks a bit closer to 13's stance than 12's to me. U can see him rest the bat on his shoulder for a split second is where I guess they got the idea from.
Yeah, but that's where a bit of that "randomness" kicks in. His stance progresses from one thing, to the next, to the next. I do the same thing when batting. I kind of have it "rested" on my shoulder and the barrel slightly taps up and down on my shoulder. When the pitcher starts his motion or comes set, then I start my "stance" from there. They wouldn't be able to replicate my entire stance in this game because of that sheer amount of "randomness," since all of these stances technically are looped animations.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »