Home

What Does MLB 13 The Show Need to do Next Year to Satisfy Your Baseball Gaming Needs?

This is a discussion on What Does MLB 13 The Show Need to do Next Year to Satisfy Your Baseball Gaming Needs? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #425
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: What Does MLB 13 The Show Need to do Next Year to Satisfy Your Baseball Gaming Ne

I've played about 40 games in my franchise and have played a couple seasons of RTTS, and offer the following feedback:

It will take a lot for me to buy MLB The Show 13. This isn't saying that I wouldn't love to have it because I would, but I bought 09 and then bought 12. The thing that got me to buy 12 was pulse pitching and the new physics. The game is absolutely incredible and it really is my favorite sporting game of all time. The batting with zone analog is extremely challenging and fun, the pulse pitching allows better pitchers to be better and worse to be worse, mistakes happen, walks happen, etc. So I just wanted to say up front that 12 is awesome and it would take the following things happening to make me buy 13. I also wanted to make sure you know that I truly love the game, so when I'm blunt about feedback below know that its just things that would possibly persuade me to get 13.

Gameplay

Improve Fielding

Men on 1st and 2nd, one out. Scorcher groundball sent to the 3Bman. He runs over to 3B puts his foot on the bag. Then stops. Winds up. Throws to 1B. Safe.

This happens way too often. Carry my momentum through the bag at 3B and throw on the run. This is how real defenders do it. I've seen this at 2B/SS too. Its like the CPU doesn't understand what we are trying to do.

Make the field "bigger"

I think the game field plays smaller than it should. Its quite hard for a guy from 2nd to score on most grounders to the outfield because it feels like the LFer/RFer are playing just yards away from the infielders. Not a huge deal, but something to look at.

Stamina

Some players rarely need rest. I don't like the fact that I have to bench Jimmy Rollins every 7th day. Its minor, but a fix in this case would be nice.

Franchise

OOTP

I know that this is mentioned many times in the thread, but the finances/roster/promotion/salaries interfaces are just terrible. If you can make this game work like OOTP when it comes to the GM-aspect of baseball I promise I will buy the game every year forever and ever. The gameplay is fantastic, but GM aspect and the interface leaves much to be desired.

Its just silly to say "1/1" contracts for those in arbitration or those on a rookie contract. You can't offer extensions in-season. This is a huge problem for me. If Cole Hamels is going to talk extension, I won't trade him. If he isn't, if he plays hardball, maybe I trade him. Its a big part of baseball. Maybe you don't need a total "Player morale" system with contracts/greed and whatnot, but at the very least allow us to negotiate in-season.

Model your interface after OOTP. Have a "player salary" screen that simply shows who is making what for the next 10 years. If they are eligible for arbitration, put an A in there. If they are automatically renewed, somehow designate that. The bottom line is that the financial piece of your interface is really messy.

If you need to promote/demote players, this is also a little clunky.

Trade logic and CPU player movement is also not very realistic, but you know this and honestly I don't expect too much better. I would recommend though, at the very least, that the CPU evaluate their system once a month and make moves (currently they are just done due to injuries or in the off-season and that is kind of lame). This would mean that if players are developing at AAA that they would get their chance at the right time as opposed to waiting for an injury to happen. There should be a waiver wire screen honestly of teams constantly waiving players. Its so rare to get a pop-up saying "so and so has been waived". That's not realistic.

A "top prospects" list would be fun, but not a huge deal.

Add a playable A level.

In general, just make us more involved as a GM. Have players complain about playing time, their spot in the order, their contract. Have others do great things like call other teammates out and increase their popularity. I don't know what needs to be done here exactly but just get us more involved as GMs and make that part of the game more realistic. If you did this game would just be ridiculously awesome.

Being able to customize franchises (with different divisions, teams, games, rules, etc) would be awesome.

RTTS

Honestly just revamp this entirely. Its fun for a while but then becomes arduous. Just make it more immersive. I don't think I'll play this mode again because the constant trades, the silly goals (I'll hit .500 for three weeks but get benched because I didn't increase my arm strength??), etc, just make it not much fun for me. Again, franchise is so awesome and the gameplay is great so I don't need RTTS. But just know that if you did something interesting with it I may need to buy it to check it out.

In closing....

Just make it more immersive, that's my #1 request. I don't need much more from a gameplay standpoint as I think its really great, the announcers don't matter much to me.... but if you made me get more into running my team in franchise (as opposed to just playing games) I'd be just so so happy.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #426
MVP

Scooter3's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: What Does MLB 13 The Show Need to do Next Year to Satisfy Your Baseball Gaming Ne

A choice to relocate a Franchise to their previous homes. Send the Dodgers back to Brooklyn, Have the announcers call them the Brooklyn Dodgers, offer their Brooklyn Home and away uniforms... Repeat with the following teams:

New York Giants
Kansas City Athletics / Philadelphia A's
Milwaukee Braves
St. Louis Browns
Washington Senators

baggy uniforms with half stirrups

scooted...BigKlu...

Mark Twain:
" Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to."

U.S. Army Veteran
Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #427
MVP

Scooter3's Arena

I would like to see this pitching option:

1) manual ( complete control)

2) auto ( computer controls pitching we control the fielders )

scooter...BigKlu...

Mark Twain:

U.S. Army Veteran
Old 08-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #428
Rookie

AntonTc's Arena

OVR: 0

I would love to be able to see lifetime advanced stats.. Not even anything crazy like bsr or wrc, just wanna be able to see my RTTS player's lifetime... say.... FIELDING maybe? I was really surprised to see this wasn't in the game when I started playing the series, and it's still not. At least have basic stats like FLD/A/PO visible for my entire career
Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #429
MVP

Scooter3's Arena

Voice Synthesis has evolved to a high standard over the last few years. It would be fantastic to be able to type a players name and hear it in the game.

This would be a back-up to the big name database offered. Maybe too early for this but PS4 might be a possibility.

scooter...BigKlu...

Mark Twain:

U.S. Army Veteran
Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #430
Rookie

OVR: 0

They need to make the fielding more realistic. They still do the stupid animation where something gets hit off the wall and they just sit there and wait for it to roll back. They also need to make the pitching mechanics better/smoother. The biggest thing for me though is the commentary. Its boring and stale and needs to change. Until that happens no matter how much they change it will still feel the same.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #431
Banned

PatriotJames's Arena

OVR: 20

A couple things that are nagging me right now:

Being able to turn hot/cold streaks off. Seems like it's ridiculously hard to get out of a cold streak and way too easy to stay hot.

Being able to turn off pitcher confidence. It's pretty ridiculous when Cliff Lee loses all confidence in everything when he gives up a 2 run shot in the 1st inning. It happens but I doubt the caliber of a pitcher he and many others are this would happen. I can see rookies and lesser overall players getting down on themselves faster but it doesn't seem to work like that.

Get rid of the 3 swing options. I liked it a ton more when there was only contact & power. Contact, Regular & Power is too much. I can sit there and give the opposing pitcher fits with my #9 hitter just by using the contact button to foul everything off that's close.

Contract overhaul. Like has been said above, being able to re-sign during the season. Also turning contracts & budgets off completely would be a nice concept so everyone is on equal playing ground (only way to get new players would be through the draft/cuts). Also, actually making every team's salary EXACTLY the same and move up 5 mil or so each season (think NFL here) would be something nice to see.

CPU Trade Logic. Too many 'A' superstars for 'A' superstars. Also, more trades proposed to the human teams from the CPU. Even if they're bad, who knows what we might accept? See: this year's offseason. A lot of trades that made you scratch your head but a player benefits 1 team and not another.

Which leads me to my last and final.. Manager "sliders". How often a manager makes his team steal, hit & run, swing for the fences, sacrifice, etc. What type of players does he prefer? Does he prefer power hitters or contact hitters? Maybe speed and defense? This could bring a totally refreshed aspect to franchise/season mode. Some managers prefer veterans over youth or don't really care. So many ways to go with this one and really needs to be installed in every sports game.

Last edited by PatriotJames; 08-07-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #432
MVP

OVR: 10

This is my 1st time buying MLB The Show on the current generation. Bought a PS3 in February specifically for MLB The Show, so I suspect that I will buy 13 as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »