Home

Dan/NjS 2004 Roster Thread

This is a discussion on Dan/NjS 2004 Roster Thread within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Dan/NjS 2004 Roster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJoiseySoulja
Speaking of Puja, I wonder what goes through his mind when he is doing his rosters and has to design the Buffalo Bills....
exactly why my system is largely formulaic (40 times, season statistics & PFP player metrics). i've gotten a couple PMs that certain players are too low even-- MLynch & Posluzny last year for instance

it's not hard to be objective IMO; it's just like the diff b/w right & wrong... you'll just know whether or not you favored a particular team. also, if you mention huge details about your favorite team & players in 95% of your posts, it might be a clue. Look at the posting history of myself, dan & josh; do either of us ever go out of our way to constantly talk about the Bills, 49ers, & Colts?

I'm not telling you to change-- it's just a videogame & if the Panthers are largely why you enjoy it, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you are looking for feedback from a community of strangers you're going to get a diff reaction if you are a home towner
Old 01-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
I had to lower RB Stephen Davis from 75 to 70 in order for the offensive rating to go back to 90 as it increased to 91 with this transaction but luckily, it was a quick five minute fix.
i dont understand-- are you saying you changed a players attributes to make the team rating move a certain direction?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 14

Progressions
We have already established the fact the Head Coaches in NFL 2K5 are given attributes, but they're just for show. I devised a plan to make them go into affect, but it will go into ruling how the progression will work. Progressions will not be based on statistics, but on Win/Loss records or Touchdowns.

The system is simple and I will post it right here, if anybody wants to follow this little house rule and progress the players yourself, then be my guest.

If Coaches have their Quarterback attributes rated between 50-60, the main goal for that player to progress would be to throw atleast (throwing out a random number) 25 touchdowns in 7 weeks just to maintain his current rating. The coach is so poor at developing quarterbacks, there is a chance the rating will decrease.

Example:
John Fox is a defensive minded coach and he likes a more ball controlled offense, so Jake Delhomme is just a game manager. He has a QB attribute rating of 78.

Quarterback Jake Delhomme is rated 88 on my roster.

For Jake Delhomme to maintain his 88 rating, he needs to throw atleast 15 touchdowns by Week 5. Which isn't too bad.

If John Fox was rated like 63 for quarterbacks, Jake would need to throw 20 touchdowns by Week 7.

Still working on how interceptions come into play.. quaterback cannot develop if he throws 15 touchdowns, 29 interceptions.

Running Backs
A little different. John Fox's rating for running backs is say 86, so a running back will need to get atleast 100 yards rushing 6 times throughout the season to maintain his rating.

If John Fox were rated 99, running back would only need to get 100 yards rushing 4 times throughout the season to maintain their current overall. If the half back exceeds 4 times, the rating will progress easily.

Offensive Lineman
Not giving up a certain number of sacks, say John Fox is rated 84 for O-Line, then for them to maintain their rating they must not give up 10 sacks by week 5.

Before I go rambling on about this, any input? This would affect the game a lot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

you do like to complicate things dont you. personally i like to trust the game with these sorts of issues rather than having to worry about it myself
Old 01-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #13
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

So you guys have basically set up a thread where you talk back and forth about what you're doing with the default rosters.... something you can do in PM's?? Really?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
i dont understand-- are you saying you changed a players attributes to make the team rating move a certain direction?
Here's what I do - for the speed, agility, strength and jumping attributes, they either stay the way they are or I edit them to be the same as my "dan edits" setup. For example, if a player has 74 speed, I adjust him to 75 since 75 is in my "dan edits" setup. If a player has 76 speed, he'll either get adjusted to 75 or 77 depending on where his overall rating his after his main attributes are adjusted in order to get to that overall rating.

As for other attributes, I mainly edit RB's run/pass blocking to the nearest 0 or 5. Catch and run route will get adjusted depending n the player but the main attribute that's adjusted is the break tackle attribute. The break tackle attribute has the biggest impact on a RB's overal rating so it's mainly just that attribute. Check out my test file with the Chiefs and Chargers and you can compare the RB's in my test file to VC's final roster since that was the one that I used as my base.

And yes, I edited Stephen Davis in order to get the team's offensive team rating to where it should be based on my setup. Panthers total offense is rated 85 and scoring offense is rated 88. In this regard, I go with the higher rating which is 88. The starters for the Panthers missed 18 games and for every 11 games that the starters missed, the rating gets increased by a slot. So, the Panthers offense is 90 overall.

Here's an example of your Bills -

Total offense is 68 (70/72/75/77) while their scoring offense is 88 (85/82/80/77). I increase the lower rating and decrease the higher rating until they meet using my dan edits setup. I then look at the 11 starters and see how many games they missed which was 11. For every 11, the rating gets increased by a slot so the Bills offense is 80 overall. Defensively, their total defense is at 95 (92/90) with their scoring defense is at 85 (88/90).

Starters missed 21 games and while I try to make sure that it's every 11 games for a slot increase, I will increase the rating if the total is close or if the team has a few good defensive players that should be rated higher than they are. Overall, the Bills defense is rated 95. 11 games missed is the minimum though for a rating increase no matter what team it is.

Here's an example of the games that im playing using my 2K5 file - I'm 6-5 including being 0-3 with Philly, T.O. and my favorite playbook. Thus far, the team ratings are really having an impact in the game. Last night, I played with the Chiefs against the Redskins in WSH.

KC has 98 off, 68 def, 88 ovr while WSH has 65 off, 98 def, 88 ovr. With Trent Green, I had 2 td's, 2 int's and was sacked twice. I also had three fumbles. One by Kennison which WSH recovered. A second by Kennison but the ball went out of bounds. I then had a third fumble after my defender intercepted the ball and as I was running down the field, Clinton Portis caught up with me and somehow knocked the ball out and recovered the ball himself. It was a weird play that I wanst happy about.

I won 14-7 after stopping WSH who had 1st and goal at my 7 yard line with seconds remaining. Ramsey threw 2 ints and was sacked 6 times. My defense did get beat several times but mainly because I blitzed a lot which also game me those sacks and turnovers. And the Redskins defense stuffed my running game, gave up over 250 yards passing in the first half but also caused three turnovers and held me in the second half to around 50 or so total yards.

I was hoping that going in a team rating direction, that every team's offensive and defensive ratings would make a difference in gameplay and thus far, it has and in a positive way. My worse loss was a 21-0 defeat with KC in CAR. Best win was with GB in IND in what was 37-31 OT classic in which neither team had more than a seven point lead. It was an offensive display as it should have been since both teams are rated 98 on offense.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
So you guys have basically set up a thread where you talk back and forth about what you're doing with the default rosters.... something you can do in PM's?? Really?
Exactly. This way we dont have to invade other topics and for those interested, can join in the conversation and for those who dont, they can just stay out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 14

I want to share my ideas with others and perhaps they can pick up where I am coming from and build onto it. They might see something I don't see and they will attack that aspect.

I decided to quit making my rosters and work on the coaching and progressions so we have a much more complex Franchise that will stomp Madden 2005's. I am all for Dan's rosters and can always tweak them to my liking, since it is my game and my Franchise that I will be playing and it will no way affect any of your guys Franchises.

NFL 2K5 offers so much more than Madden, it is not even funny. Only thing missing basically is create your own plays (which NFL 2K1 had), but you can make your own playbooks and stuff and expand on that. The goal of this thread is not just to discuss rosters, but to make gaming experience as realistic as possible.

Why put it in PMs so nobody knows whats going on? Maybe some people want to share their ideas and inputs to what we're talking about or they want to pick up on our ideas and do their own thing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »