Home

NHL 16 Penalties?

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Penalties? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #25
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16 Penalties?

One of the issues with the user being fouled in sports games is the nature of the user vs cpu interaction.

We have all been programmed through playing these games to AVOID the cpu.

Anybody with half a brain would realize if I "run away" from the cpu they can't take the ball or puck from me.

But it's the opposite in this NHL game. You have to allow contact with the CPU but allow it in the correct way for a penalty to be called.

For example. if you have come down the left wing and come to a stop and the CPU comes out to you, if you turn away but don't immediately skate away from them they will keep on you from the back and if you just protect while they try to come through you they will slash and hook you at times.

The key is to draw them towards you but not allow them to get a full head of steam. It's a too delicate balance because as was posted above, the CPU is way too eager to check you over playing solid D. If they put out a gameplay tuner that made the CPU choose check 20% of the time instead of 85% of the time that would tone it down and open it up for more cpu penalties.

Particularly if the extra 65% probability was carved into stick lift and poke check behavior.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #26
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I'm an old school 360 guy - so I'm playing the "NHL Legacy" edition, and I'll admit: I'm having a LOT of fun playing it. I tinkered with something last night in my sliders...I'm a hard-core, highest level simulation guy. So know that I don't care for the arcade hockey game, and I also realize this forum is for the Xbox One (though I'm strongly considering purchasing one for myself, as I got our oldest son one last year). But my point:

I turned down the game speed slider to ONE. I then turned up the CPU acceleration slider to MAX, and then turned the human acceleration slider to 5 (one click below max). I had a total of 8 penalties called (8 min. periods). I've seen a high sticking double minor. I have seen the cpu get a 5 minute game misconduct. And there has been a variety.

What I THINK is happening is that with the slower speed the cpu and AI controlled players have to make quicker decisions, and since they aren't skating at warp speed, those decisions can't be made as quickly. Also, for anyone who thinks the skaters are stuck in the sand, with the highest acceleration settings, the players actually move at a really nice skating speed.

I've played the EA NHL series for many years (I still have NHL 2002 for the original xbox in my collection). I'm not saying that I've found the solution, and I don't know how this translates to the Xbox One - but wanted to throw out something I've seen. I'm getting a nice variety and nice amount of penalties - so you guys might give that a go and see what you think.
Exactly and The Bird is the word ! and like I said every action causes a reaction so you balanced it out !
Old 09-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #27
Rookie

I went online and backed out and it said my game was updated....but there's no new tuner number, it still says 1.00 and then latest after it so not sure if it updated but I just played a game and got 3 power plays and the cpu got 5...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #28
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
I'm an old school 360 guy - so I'm playing the "NHL Legacy" edition, and I'll admit: I'm having a LOT of fun playing it. I tinkered with something last night in my sliders...I'm a hard-core, highest level simulation guy. So know that I don't care for the arcade hockey game, and I also realize this forum is for the Xbox One (though I'm strongly considering purchasing one for myself, as I got our oldest son one last year). But my point:

I turned down the game speed slider to ONE. I then turned up the CPU acceleration slider to MAX, and then turned the human acceleration slider to 5 (one click below max). I had a total of 8 penalties called (8 min. periods). I've seen a high sticking double minor. I have seen the cpu get a 5 minute game misconduct. And there has been a variety.

What I THINK is happening is that with the slower speed the cpu and AI controlled players have to make quicker decisions, and since they aren't skating at warp speed, those decisions can't be made as quickly. Also, for anyone who thinks the skaters are stuck in the sand, with the highest acceleration settings, the players actually move at a really nice skating speed.

I've played the EA NHL series for many years (I still have NHL 2002 for the original xbox in my collection). I'm not saying that I've found the solution, and I don't know how this translates to the Xbox One - but wanted to throw out something I've seen. I'm getting a nice variety and nice amount of penalties - so you guys might give that a go and see what you think.
Pretty interesting I would love to try this out but right now the PS4 (not sure about Xbox one) has a bug that when you lower game speed from default the players become virtual strobe lights causing the gamer to nearly have a seizure...lol. Hopefully they patch this quick so we can give it a whirl.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #29
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDIrishRangers78
I went online and backed out and it said my game was updated....but there's no new tuner number, it still says 1.00 and then latest after it so not sure if it updated but I just played a game and got 3 power plays and the cpu got 5...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe EA said they were just over writing 1.00 so as not to have a million tuners. So it's still going to say 1.00 as it just replaced the old one.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #30
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

Hmmm, first game with the update and the CPU had 6 powerplays and I had 4. I'll take that.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Pretty interesting I would love to try this out but right now the PS4 (not sure about Xbox one) has a bug that when you lower game speed from default the players become virtual strobe lights causing the gamer to nearly have a seizure...lol. Hopefully they patch this quick so we can give it a whirl.
yeah, unfortunately i've seen that...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #32
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
yeah, unfortunately i've seen that...
You may be right on this. I tried it out and 2 power plays in the first 6 minutes but the skipping bug made me have to bail.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »