Home

Why do I suck at this game?

This is a discussion on Why do I suck at this game? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
MVP

Molarmite's Arena

OVR: 13
Why do I suck at this game?

I don't think I've won a game against the CPU in NHL 15 or 16. I'm pretty good at sports video games in general, I have no problems against the computer in Madden and NBA but in NHL I suffer.

My main issues are:

1 on 1 offense: I'll have the puck with one of my forwards against one of their defensemen, I usually go for a quick wrist shot and miss. What should I be doing in this situation?

Rebounds off the goalie: Most of my goals given up are from me making a wrong move defensively giving them a nice shot, bounces off the goalie and they're there for a nice rebound goal.

5 on 5 offense: I try to pass the puck around on offense, pass between defenders until I see a opening but that opening is usually pretty well guarded by the time he gets to shoot.

3 on 2 offense: With the new passing system, I either pass it to wrong person or to the defense. If I try the dump and chase strategy, that never works.

I just need help. If someone wants to play me in a 1 on 1 unranked game and give me tips, that would be great. If anyone has tips just based off this info, that would be great as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Why do I suck at this game?

My suggestion at this point, would be turn down the difficulty a bit, you didnt mention what you were playing on, but turn it down maybe. Turn down game speed as well. I've found it gives you a better opportunity to react, and easier to make moves with your skaters as things slow down.

Secondly, play with the on ice training aids on for a bit. Learn to see the passing lanes it shows you, open space on the ice for passes, open net space for where to aim your shots.

Sadly, the more you play, the more you're going to learn the AI's tricks. They have several go to plays/moves. when you recognize it, often times its a one timer in the slot with ridiculous passes... so don't play the puck carrier, play the man in the slot. learn to anticipate what they're going to do. Anticipation is key.

Also, pay attention to your AI Learning settings. If you have it cranked all the way up, then you best be changing up your approaches on offense. Do the same thing over and over, and they'll be all over you, so mix it up. If they're blocking up the slot and in front of their own net... get it to the points, get the goalie moving and fire shots. You'll see the AI change its approach to defend you, then work your way back down low or to the sides when they do. Screened shots help too. Use defenders to block the goalies view of your shots..

Hope that helps.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
MVP

KleShreen's Arena

OVR: 10

I've been in the same boat for four years. I'm usually pretty darn good at any sports game. Football, baseball, basketball, racing, etc., but I can't beat the AI in NHL almost ever. I just can't score goals. I don't know how to use the "skill stick" and do dekes and all that crap. When I *do* play offline against the AI, I just shoot any time possible and hope I can get a rebound and a garbage goal. I haven't played an offline game since NHL 13, I exclusively buy NHL to play EASHL games online, where I am extremely good because I don't have to be relied on to score. I can just play defense, cycle the puck, be in good position and blast some one-time slappers on the power play.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
Rookie

s_mkheidze's Arena

OVR: 0

Nope....This game sucks at you.

;p
Old 10-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
Rookie

pingzing17's Arena

One thing you need to do is set your strategies. If you have them set right your computer players will before effective and they will be in the right places to help you win. My set is balls. Very hard to score against me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 12

Auto aim

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
Rookie

redslumber's Arena

I notice that you have to be patient in this game. I'm only good enough to play on All-Star.

Usually when I tried to rush play and gain the zone, I would get crunched along the boards or give the puck away on an odd man rush.

Play the position and keep your players between the other team and your net. Try and play around with the timing of when you can go in for a check or a body check and you should get it down pretty fast.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
Pro

Tsuki's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molarmite
I don't think I've won a game against the CPU in NHL 15 or 16. I'm pretty good at sports video games in general, I have no problems against the computer in Madden and NBA but in NHL I suffer.

My main issues are:

1 on 1 offense: I'll have the puck with one of my forwards against one of their defensemen, I usually go for a quick wrist shot and miss. What should I be doing in this situation?

Rebounds off the goalie: Most of my goals given up are from me making a wrong move defensively giving them a nice shot, bounces off the goalie and they're there for a nice rebound goal.

5 on 5 offense: I try to pass the puck around on offense, pass between defenders until I see a opening but that opening is usually pretty well guarded by the time he gets to shoot.

3 on 2 offense: With the new passing system, I either pass it to wrong person or to the defense. If I try the dump and chase strategy, that never works.

I just need help. If someone wants to play me in a 1 on 1 unranked game and give me tips, that would be great. If anyone has tips just based off this info, that would be great as well.
Is it possible for you to post a game of you playing so I can get a better idea of what you can improve on?

Outside of that NHL's gameplay is no saint but it does respect fundamental hockey as a means to win and it sounds like you are having trouble doing just that. Its okay I used to be that way.

Hockey IMO is a game of possessions. Slow down on offense and focus on keeping the puck in your zone and set up here is a video that explains "cycling"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYHwFcf6Vno

A good Forecheck is your first line of Defense basically your forwards engaging with their forwards in the neutral zone. This is all about positing, we all play different but I never play the puck in the zone I play the man and look to make contact. Really advanced guys can play the pass im not that good yet LOL here is a video explaining forechecking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8URiYylC7lc

Defense in your own zone to me is just the opposite of offense in their zone. They can only cycle in one area at a time and the passing lanes are defined by the cycling. Try doing a few games where you only defend as the center in the defensive zone keeping the blue line clear. At this point the AI can play better with your defenders defending the net so dont handicap yourself intentionally trying to be the defender right now. Once you become natural at "defending" a space on the ice then you can switch to a defender in front of the net.

I hope this helps!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »