Home

NHL 16 Penalties?

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Penalties? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
Rookie

Tonic's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 16 Penalties?

The reason there's not enough penalties is that the CPU is programmed to go for the hit rather than try to poke check or stick lift. If they can release a tuner that will cause the CPU to go for the poke check or stick lift more often, we would see a LOT more penalties.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #10
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonic
The reason there's not enough penalties is that the CPU is programmed to go for the hit rather than try to poke check or stick lift. If they can release a tuner that will cause the CPU to go for the poke check or stick lift more often, we would see a LOT more penalties.
Yes, totally agree with you. I hope EA would release a tuner ASAP for the CPU/AI to do those you suggested so we could see variation of penalties, just like in real NHL game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
No offense but to suggest that the very large majority of guys on this board are not seeing penalties because they don't play the game properly is a tad insulting and flat out ridiculous. Even if your right and your the only one who knows how to draw penalties that would be a huge fail on EAs part. No two people play the same and penalties should be a part of any NHL game period. Wether your a casual gamer who just picked up the game or an expert like yourself, they should be called. It's been a problem for the past few releases and needs to be addressed like they did in Madden, which suffered the same issue for years. The new tuner said it would increase penalties I hope they are right.
I know he is a big fan of EA's NHL and that is fine. But to say that we need to play certain way to get penalties is just like "fishing" for one, not natural. I want to see fluidity in the play and not just "fishing" for penalty. Sure, puck play could result in penalty, especially if CPU lines are tired.

I think it was "11 when there was absolutely 0-2 penalties (at 10 min/period). And at the beginning of "12, same thing except the tuner made the difference. Penalties are big concerns of mine, so I will be watching the developments regarding this issue and some, before pulling the credit card.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonic
Yep but the hit progamming must now take into account the direction the player is facing, whether it's a legitimate puck battle, distance from the puck, how many steps the checker is taking towards the checkee etc... otherwise we *would* see legitimate checking from behind, interference, charging and boarding penalties on a regular basis.

So either the system behind the scenes has nerfed all of those checks in the last few years and allows the CPU to hit as it pleases or the CPU only delivers hits that wouldn't fall foul of refereeing in an actual NHL game.

I would certainly say that interference is often overlooked by the CPU refs so I think it's the former.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
Yes, totally agree with you. I hope EA would release a tuner ASAP for the CPU/AI to do those you suggested so we could see variation of penalties, just like in real NHL game.

I know he is a big fan of EA's NHL and that is fine. But to say that we need to play certain way to get penalties is just like "fishing" for one, not natural. I want to see fluidity in the play and not just "fishing" for penalty. Sure, puck play could result in penalty, especially if CPU lines are tired.

I think it was "11 when there was absolutely 0-2 penalties (at 10 min/period). And at the beginning of "12, same thing except the tuner made the difference. Penalties are big concerns of mine, so I will be watching the developments regarding this issue and some, before pulling the credit card.
11 was the actual last time the slider worked out of the box IIRC. The CPU gooned it up if you set the slider to max. Major penalties everywhere. I'm going ahead with a purchase on Friday and hoping the tuner at least lets me get on a PP twice a game or so, but it's disappointing that this issue just keeps rattling on and on.

Powerplay conversion is one of my favourite stats. I love to lead the league in it.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #13
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion7
11 was the actual last time the slider worked out of the box IIRC. The CPU gooned it up if you set the slider to max. Major penalties everywhere. I'm going ahead with a purchase on Friday and hoping the tuner at least lets me get on a PP twice a game or so, but it's disappointing that this issue just keeps rattling on and on.

Powerplay conversion is one of my favourite stats. I love to lead the league in it.
Its been awhile since I last played EA NHL. So EA released a tuner already? How's the penalty issue with the new tuner?
Old 09-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #14
Rookie

Tonic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion7

Yep, penalties in 11 were great. On 10 minutes periods I would have 4-6 PPs per game very consistently. There was a variety of calls also - slashing, tripping, hooking, hitting from behind, even charging. Hopefully EA can work this logic back into the game with a tuner.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #15
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

Old-gen '14 I had an average of 2.5 per team per game (pp/pk)... Old-gen '15 I had an average of 2.0 per team per game. This was with 10 minute periods during a Be a GM campaign on superstar hardcore.

I now have '16 current-gen; It looks like 10 minute periods are out because shot totals are ridiculous. In a handful of games I've seen 1 pp. This is on superstar hardcore 8 minute periods. I've taken maybe two or three tripping calls and I had a penalty shot against me.

This is starting to sux.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #16
Rookie

How do you get the tuner? I haven't seen anything come up and ive been playing the game all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »